Suspension Control System Failure message | FerrariChat

Suspension Control System Failure message

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Jeff3545, Jan 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    I have not driven my 812 Superfast in a month, it has been parked in the warehouse with a battery tender on it. Yesterday I went for a drive and was immediately alerted to a Suspension Control System Failure error. The car drives normally but the bumpy road button is not working, which I assume is related to the error message. Several stop and restart cycles, I am still getting the error and will make an appointment at the dealer this week.

Any suggestions?

Related to this, I am wondering if this could be a battery problem. Today I went on an extended drive and watched the battery gauge, it showed 12.1 volts while under normal driving conditions. What is a healthy battery voltage for this car?

2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Batteries need to cycle some, always being 'topped off' is not the best. For instance, plug in for a few days, unplug for a week, repeat.

12.1 is low, should be 13 or higher while driving (check against any modern car that shows voltage...)

Rule of thumb, every 3 years put in new 12v battery and new key fob battery, even early model year 2019's are now 3 years old.

vraa and Jeff3545 like this.
  3. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    Thanks! This is why I asked, my RAM truck battery voltage is normally 14.2 volts.

4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    14.2 is a very healthy battery

Ram TRX?

5. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    No, RAM 3500. I have 2 batteries and 2 180 amp alternators on that truck. It gets a lot of miles pulling my livestock trailer.

vraa likes this.
  6. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Had the same thing with my Lusso a few months ago. Drove it a few times and it cleared up….Sounds like the dealer should take a look though…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff3545 likes this.
  7. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    did not clear up for me over 3 days. Dropped it off at the dealer today, I need to get annual service done so they can look at this as well.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Keep us posted, but I bet it's the battery.

Caeruleus11, vraa and Jeff3545 like this.
  9. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    sounds like alternator. with normal driving, my F12 voltage fluctuates from 14v (idle) to 14.5v (normal driving). If it's at a dealership, I'm sure they'll take a look at the alternator with your provided story.

yea i agree with the above replies. your suspension error is most likely from the low voltage.

vraa and Jeff3545 like this.
  10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    When I start mine up and it's cold I get multiple failures. I had to start and stop it three or four times before I could clear all the errors. It happens because the computers don't all come up and report in to the main one fast enough. Computers run slower in the cold and faster in the heat, that's a fact.

Jeff3545 likes this.
  11. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    Thanks, I live in California and the car is stored in a climate controlled warehouse. This is the first time I have experienced this error message.

wrs likes this.
  12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    A lower voltage from the battery to that computer could also be the culprit as the others have noted. I notice that if I go more than a week without starting the car that it does have some issues irrespective of temperature. Not as many errors but it doesn't start right up and may throw a few engine errors. Mostly they will go away with restarts.

I got it back from service on the .rear windshield back in November and it was a nice sunny day. When I started the car it had an engine control failure so I restarted it twice and it didn't clear. I showed it to the service manager and he said what I just mentioned about the timing of the computers and to restart it again which on the fourth time, did the trick.

Jeff3545 likes this.
  13. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    Update. The tech told me an “acceleration sensor” failed but he did not elaborate so I am not entirely certain which acceleration sensor he is referring to. The battery and alternator are functioning normal. I asked him about the voltage reading and he said it reads low, 12-12.3, under load for reasons related to how the computer measures output across the entire system.

I had another issue, a ticking in the dash when the AC was on. That noise was actually coming from the AC compressor, so they are replacing it.

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That seems like a mix of unrelated issues. Ferrari states that the F12 has an 'intelligent' alternator and others have posted in the past similar 12.x volt readings. Not sure what year your 812 but they ship with crappy batteries and wouldn't be surprised if the battery is involved even though it may have passed the service test. Assuming your car is within the 3 year warrantee perhaps they would just as well let it go if it were borderline and then its on you to replace in a year or so.

15. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    2019 model year. I bought extended warranty that takes me through the end of 2023 so I’ll ride it out.

Solid State likes this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Great. Be advised that the two year re-up goes quickly so don't pass-up a chance to get things sorted as soon as they come up. I'm thinking based on your history you are going to need a new battery in that time frame. I think the newer MYs don't do oil and filter changes annually and are based on an algorithm.

Jeff3545 likes this.
  17. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #17 Frank_C, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Happened to me today. I had to move my car out of the garage for a remodel. Damn if I forgot to plug it in a couple of weeks ago................

Fortunately I did not have to jump it. The 812 started time/sequence-wise as normal on the first try. But by the starter sound I could tell the battery was clearly weak. I had just about every imaginary warning light go off- shocks, manettino, parking brake, etc.

I called & service guy told me that is not unexpected (as noted) and that the warning lights will/should all reset once the battery is fully charged. Now he did ask if I jumped it, so maybe a threshold is there for hard resets. IIRC I had to do one with my F12 but I've drank and slept since then.

Regardless, he also told me to drive it for an hour as the alternator is weak and will not charge as well at idle. Then plug it in and all will be well again.

I drove it for an hour. Parked it outside without the tender for another hour or so and then when I restarted it, 'twas as if nothing had ever happened- no warning lights, back to normal.

FYI the engine load dropped the voltage by nearly 1 volt- in the 13.3-5(ish)V as I was accelerating which jumped to 14.3(ish)V when I took my foot off the loud pedal. Now I did take him to heart and was cruising in the 110-120 mph (141 max) range so YMMV.

I just love that car...

Jeff3545 likes this.
  18. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    Resolution: RH vertical body accelerometer failed. Tech probed the pins and found pin 2 (signal) shorting. Replaced sensor with the LH sensor and the error message moved to the LH side. Battery and charging system checked out with no issues.

19. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    wow. well I'm glad you got it sorted! I gotta say this is where standard car knowledge just sorta fails. is that the one that's attached to the suspension arm via the short metal connector or the one that's hard mounted to the body? I was always curious what the hard mounted body connector was for.

20. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    yeah, attached to the body. I believe the other one is the lateral acceleration sensor.

sunghyun7 likes this.