355 - Any used F355 5.2 test pipes for sale ? | FerrariChat

355 Any used F355 5.2 test pipes for sale ?

Discussion in '348/355' started by bennzwel, Jan 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    I’m looking for a set of F355 5.2 test pipes ( preferably Tubi ) which are in great or near new condition. Anyone has spare to sell ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In the Ferrari parts section there is Capristo test pipes for sale.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f355-5-2-capristo-test-pipes-new.649812/

I purchased my Tubi’s from Eurospares for about $560. That was about a 1 year and 4-5 months ago, so the price might have changed.

3. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal

4. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    You could run test pipes. But if you haven’t already been warned: be prepared for stinky gas smelling clothes, check engine lights, and worst of all…. worse performance.

I had test pipes on my 355 from 2006-2007. I didn’t really like them.

FWIW.

5. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    I thought the performance will increase as there is no restrictions on the exhaust ( minus the secondary cats ).
    What performance issue did you have ?

6. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Car def seemed to run lean off the bottom. Less throttle response from 1500 rpm’s up.

My personal experience and general consensus is zero to nominal performance gain.

One benefit is lower temps since no heat from the cats.

What is your goal with the test pipes ? If it’s sound or performance there are way better options to achieve those goals.

7. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    I was going to gain more sound and bit more performance, but also get rid of old cats to protect the headers at lowest cost possible. I wanted to change the Ypipe with a catless one but I don’t think it will do much difference.

8. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Deleting the cats improves performance and reliability and significantly reduces engine bay heat. On 5.2 cars you may battle CEL's triggered by the post-cat 02 sensors. IMHO the upsides are greater than the downsides.

Carmellini likes this.
  9. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    Interesting to see very different responses on the same post. Why some people get more downsides ?

10. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I don't know. I've never heard that deleting the cats makes a 355 run lean. That doesn't make sense to me as the o2 sensors on other 5.2 Motronic systems of the era have no real role in adjusting AFR's in anything but idle. I would be interested in seeing before and after AFR data on this from those who claim this.

I dealt with the SDL/thermocouple problem by deleting the system (since it is irrelevant when you delete the cats) and plugging in the dummy load devices from Technistrada. As for the downstream o2 sensors, sometimes you can avoid the CEL with sensor extenders with mini-cats or steel wool stuffed inside, and sometimes it doesn't work. Roll of the dice.

Carmellini likes this.
  11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The WSM (5.2) specifically says that the O2 sensors are not used when:

The O2 sensors are not sufficiently heated
    The engine coolant temperature is below 140F (60C), but above 59F (15C)
    Accelerator pedal fully depressed
    Engine rotation speed > 4000 +/-200rpm

The book also says that the post-cat sensors are compensating for aging of the catalytic converter. How old is a no-cat catalytic converter? :p

Ferrari Fanatic likes this.
  12. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Well that all definitely makes sense. My experience as stated above was poor throttle response just off of idle.

Stated another way: off idle drivability was definitely worse with test pipes, not better.

Add, stinky gas fumigated clothes, almost guaranteed Check Engine Lights, and less drivability, regardless of what the numbers may or may not show…….yeah that’s a no bueno for me.

13. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    #13 Ferrari Fanatic, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    This is the remedy for aftermarket Cats, not test pipes. The issue is when the post cat 02 sensor begins to sweep (likely out of a certain range) it will throw the cat efficiency code.

The post cat 02 sensor seeing way too many HC’s and high CO numbers, especially compared to the up stream 02 sensors (ie still dirty) I believe is the issue.

14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Extenders from Bigdaddies worked for me with test pipes. No issues with drivability. And the stink is only bad behind the car.

15. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Any input on the performance gain ?

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Did it when adding Tubi headers. The combo might have given a bit of a bump, but nothing dramatic. My goal was for less heat and to preserve original cats which are expensive

17. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Yeah goes back to my question to the OP. If you’re doing it to save the cats and lower under bonnet temp, absolutely.

Performance gains in the real world, not really feeling it. Way better options to increase HP than taking your cats off.

18. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I ran test pipes for a while & can confirm some of the comments here with my own experience.

No perceivable power increase, the exhaust fumes stank most of the time, and so did my clothes, the sound was louder and harsher, more F1 scream.

The little blue tailpipe flames at wide open throttle/high revs were cool, especially in tunnels, but after a few weeks I tired of the negatives and put cats back on.

My car is a 2.7 and I had no check engine lights at all.

19. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I don't get the comments about stinking clothes. I've been driving old non-catalyst cars all my life and the only time I can get my clothes to smell is if I'm working on the car with it running next to the exhaust (e.g. my early 911). I happen to think it's a great smell and I do wish they would make an exhaust scented laundry detergent for men rather than spring rain or mountain breeze. Maybe I am lacking in the olfactory department.

Carmellini, INTMD8 and bcar1 like this.
  20. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I genuinely do not even notice an aggressive/eye watering smell. I wonder if some cars run richer than others at idle? It is a pretty good balance for me of sound & reduced engine temps- I don’t notice the low rpm hesitation- or at least no worse than with cats or vs other 355 I’ve driven.

21. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Correct. 2.7 does not have a a down stream 02 sensor like the 5.2. Since you only have 1 02 sensor the 2.7 will not throw a CEL. A 5.2 is a different animal OBD wise.