When to change my 488 Spider battery | FerrariChat

When to change my 488 Spider battery

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Marcus Lam, Jan 10, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcus Lam

Marcus Lam Rookie

Apr 15, 2018
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Marcus Lam
    I have a 2017 488 Spider that I bought CPO from Ferrari Salt Lake back in 2019. It came with just 89 miles and now has 4,150 miles on the odometer.

It still has the original battery and I have used a CTEK battery maintainer on it pretty much at all times when not driven. The battery maintainer still shows that it’s able to get a full charge on the battery. However, the battery is now five years old and I do live in Las Vegas where it’s driven on hot days when not garaged.

Should I be proactive and get the battery replaced now or soldier on? I bought the annual new power coverage but know that batteries and other consumables are not covered. Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    In my opinion car batteries should be replaced every 4 - 5 years.
    I do this to all my cars.

One day when least expected & you're out somewhere it will leave you stranded as car won't start. How embarrassing. Then you call for a flat bed.

Car batteries are cheap. You can buy Interstate brand at Costco or your local Interstate dealer for a very reasonable price.

Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Very easy to replace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Llenroc, unreelviper and f355spider like this.
  3. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I do the same
    5 yrs max

Although ive been caught even 2 yr old batteries
    I always buy the best i can get from now on

whatheheck and Llenroc like this.
  4. Marcus Lam

Marcus Lam Rookie

Apr 15, 2018
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Marcus Lam
    Sound advice. I will get mine replaced.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    All good advice about car battery replacement. I usually do the same...5 or 6 years max. With owning four vehicles now (and a motorcyle too), I purchased a battery tester which can allow me to confirm whether battery replacement may be warranted earlier...or even if I can extend replacement. This is the one I own, although it is a private label version sold by Griots Garage for considerably more, I see now that Schumacher also has it under private label for considerably less: Amazon.com: Schumacher BT-175 Handheld Digital Battery Tester - 12V - Works with Wide Range of Vehicle Batteries : Automotive

whatheheck likes this.