Roma new today - couple of silly questions ! | FerrariChat

Roma new today - couple of silly questions !

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by rooney1000, Jan 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rooney1000

rooney1000 Rookie

Jan 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Chris Powell
    Hi

Quick one - sorry these are quite basic questions and sure I will work out but am baffled at the moment !

Picked up a new Roma today and...

- How do you put the car in Park ?! So when I stop I can put into neutral by pulling both manual shift levers but how do I put into Park other than turning off the car ??! Surely there is a way ? Tried the Park lever but that feels like a proper parking brake

- When in normal drive the car seems to hold for a second and then either rolls forwawrd or backwards dependant on the incline of the road. Is that normal, does the car not have a hold mode on the auto gearbox ??

Sorry again !

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Parking brake puts the car into hold. If you open the door the car should go into park with the light on.

The brief hold from stop is true for all my Ferraris, 458, FF and Roma.

SV

3. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Hi Roony.

This is my experience with a Portofino, which I think will be the same for the Roma.
    At a traffic light, there is NO hold function. Either keep your foot on the brake or hope you are on very level ground. I too would have preferred a hold function.
    The car will hold for about two seconds when going from the brake to drive. This is to prevent it rolling backwards upon start
    The car will go into automatic park/handbrake when you put it off
    If you want to park with the engine running you can pull the parking lever. I do that but admit there is not much reason to park with the engine running.
    In all cases you should get a message on your screen (mine is on the left screen but it may be different on the Roma) saying the brake has been applied.

Enjoy your car. Drive it, do not park it ;)

Hope this all helps.

Jordan68 likes this.
  4. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    One point of clarification. Don’t put it in neutral….unless car wash etc. when you reach your destination just turn it off and parking brake will automatically engage. I have done manually in my other ferraris by pulling the small lever on the lower left had side but again, it should engage automatically. Enjoy!

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    It is amazing what one can learn by reading the Owner's Manual!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yup

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Hi Chris, the transmission is a dual-clutch, not a traditional automatic transmission so it will roll at low speeds if you are in gear either forward or backward depending on the incline of the road.

You absolutely can put the parking brake on when in neutral by pulling the parking lever towards. You will hear the brake be applied and you will see a message on the dashboard that it is on as well. Like others said here the parking brake goes on automatically when you shut the car off as well.

Did you buy the Roma from an authorized Ferrari dealer? If this is your first modern Ferrari they really should have spent some time going over how the car works. If you have any more questions feel free to private message me. We can speak over the phone if you prefer as well. Good luck!

Carbon Bits, Jordan68 and Schultz like this.