Wanted - 246 Dino GT | FerrariChat

Wanted 246 Dino GT

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Martyt, Jan 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    New member here and first post. After some years with old Corvettes (currently have a 62’ big brake fuelie and 66’ big block former racer), I have decided to transition to the car I have always wanted. I have some car guys looking for me but I thought I would put out a post here. The car I want must be correct in terms of numbers and how it came from the factory. It must be rust free with maintenance records. I do plan to drive this car so am not looking for a concours— just a very well sorted out car. Thanks in advance! Martin

LARRYH likes this.
  2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Welcome Martin… you might post. the same in the 246 dino section as they are very active and years ago I found my DINO GT through That group. I will say that the some of the most well known. DINO experts in the world are in that group…Interesting I also went the Big block corvette to Ferrarii route .. best of luck

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thanks Larry— will do!!!

LARRYH likes this.
  4. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I posted a “want” ad but a fellow Forum member suggested I post here as well. As noted in my ad, I am transitioning from old Corvettes to a car I have always loved—the 246 GT. I have some car guys looking but am posting here to cast a wider net. I do plan to drive the car (not DD but drive it more than maybe your average bear). I would like the car to be well sorted out with matching numbers and paint color, maintenance records, tools, etc The car can have an older restoration or maybe a survivor and does not have to be perfect in all respects but I do value originality and a car that has been well maintained. Prefer red or black but not a deal killer. Thanks in advance!!

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  6. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Gullwing get's a lot of flack, but I've personally found Peter to be a good dude to deal with. He has a red/black 246 (I'm sure you've seen it). At the current price, I frankly think it's a pretty good deal IMHO. It needs a clutch, but seems well below realtime market value. Maybe worth a check out.

Neelfryer likes this.
  7. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I did see it thanks. It looks like it had a color change from Marrone to red. He does not post a lot of pictures on his website; you would think there would be more. I will keep the car in mind although I don't mind spending $400K-$500K for maybe a better car. Thanks for keeping a lookout for me; very much appreciated. I also would appreciate any thoughts/helpful hints from any Forum members as I embark on my search. I am trying to do research on my own as I do not know much about the Dino only that I love it--that much I do know.

8. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thanks for the post UroTrash. I emailed the seller to see if it is still available. If I find a car in Europe, I would have an expert inspect if for me. I see Iain Tyrrell's name a lot and he seems very knowledgeable--maybe I would use someone like him to do the inspection if the car is coming out of Europe. Thoughts? thx. Martin

9. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Been doing some preliminary research on California title registration as it relates to so-called foreign import “grey cars”. Aside from Montana state LLC work arounds, that may be an issue. I will have to investigate that further.

10. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    Marty - welcome - good luck - I found this place before I found my Dino as well - I am friends with John P who has been my source for all things Classic Corvette and he told me you were looking - my advice is to forget color - I came here determined to get a red Dino - there are many shades of red that the Dino came in - and there were and probably still are a fair amount of color changes to red - A wise man said to me "The Dinos that bring top dollar at auction are the rare colors, the "off the beaten path" colors - he totally changed my brain - not because I was buying purely from an investment POV - but that these cars are sought after for their unique-ness and a unique color adds to that unique-ness ...

I have read the ad for that red car in NY 1000 times - the one at Gullwing - I Kinda like it - color change and warts and all - my 2 cents is that if the car has the original motor and trans ...that would be enough for me - but get a good rec here for someone to do an inspection for you - a PPI as they all like to say - I paid for 2 before I bought my car and when I bought my car I didn't pay for one - I went to NY myself to see the car and had learned enough at that point to feel knowledgeable enough to feel confident

last thought - I really love that US spec GTS in the other thread in this section - I bet the color has you turned off - my experience tells me that if that car is as well-sorted as it looks - you could maybe work on that price a little bit - seems now that it translates to about 543K USD.

And most importantly... you would drive it here in town and after one day you would be sooooo happy that it's NOT red - people ask me about my color all the time - Nocciola Mettalizatto (sp?) - I think it translates to hazelnut metallic

I now know that they only made like 74 cars in my color throughout the whole run - I would think they made many more in shades of red - I like Dinos in red - but I absolutely LOVE my car in its color - feels unique - feels special ....

If you get your hands on a Dino Compendium - the bible so to speak on all things Dino - created by and self-published by an esteemed member of our small forum here - you could see ALL of the colors that the Dino comes in - and you will want them all

I don't mean to keep harping on the color

I'm just remembering my search - which was 2 years on and off - and as a Shelby and Corvette guy - I had thoughts about color as it related to value and collectibility and desirability that were burned into my brain .... I promise you, they don't apply to Dinos

I was still nervous about my color - but when I got it - I was in love - like a rescue dog - love at first sight

Good Luck - John

Skippr1999 and 375+ like this.
  11. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thanks for the post John. I was just speaking with John P last night. I am hoping to have my 62' big brake judged in late April and then John will arrange to have it auctioned at Mecum. That car is black exterior, red interior. My 66' ex vintage racer big block is silver/silver. I will take your advice regarding 246 colors--I actually don't hate any of the typical colors. I may give Gullwing a call; pithy details on the car and not a lot of pictures gave me pause--that and the fact the car can't be driven raises various unknowns. By the way, it looks like a non US spec import is out of the question for me. Based on my research, the car has to be older than 68' to avoid any hassle in CA. It appears that cars that were sold in the US have a CA smog exemption if they are older than 75'. In any event, all good advice in your post and I thank you for that! Martin

12. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  13. Ena

Ena Rookie

Jan 13, 2022
    Full Name:
    Stefan Traub
    Hello Martin,

are you still looking for a Dino? Sent me a note.

Ena

14. Ena

Ena Rookie

Jan 13, 2022
    Full Name:
    Stefan Traub
    Hello Martin,

sorry, my fingers were too fast on the send button.
    I have a very special car for sale. It is a time capsule, a 1970 246 GT L series completely original and unrestored.
    I bought the car from the second owner about 11 years ago in Italy. He owned the car from August 1970 up to 2011.

You can contact me: [email protected]

BigTex and of2worlds like this.
  15. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Will just say that the members on this Forum are great— lots of great advice and very much appreciated. Am so happy I joined!

16. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    "It must be rust free " <<<Does such a thing exist?

All joking aside, a few years ago I was thinking of getting a Dino and this is what ended up stopping me. I got the sense that if I didn't want to worry about rust then the only option was a car with a top notch, documented restoration (the type omgjon does). If that's what you are after then you end up with the concours level cars and prices. Good luck, hope you find one!

silver1331 likes this.
  17. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
  18. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Funny!! My search continues. I have a few leads from the Forum. There is one coming up for auction this month in the US. OMGJon’s cars may be another option.

19. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Still looking. Must be GT and US spec car. It can be Euro spec but must already be registered in the nanny state (hereinafter referred to as “California”). Am pretty flexible on color. Top market value paid (cash) commensurate with condition, etc. thanks. Martin.

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  20. HeloSixx

HeloSixx Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2007
    Amelia Island FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I have one I may sell, it’s been parked for years and will need sorting before returning to the road.

21. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I found my 72’ in February. I had a thread on the Dino forum. I had assumed this was no longer active. I will PM you.

22. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Congratulations!

of2worlds likes this.