When does the exhaust valve activate on a 360? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

When does the exhaust valve activate on a 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Lotus Man, Feb 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    This is typical on cold starts to open the exhaust bypass valves to provide more free flow of exhaust gases through the catalytic converters to hasten their warm up. Once a specific temperature threshold is reached (I do not know what the temperature is), the ECU then closes valves. The time before closing the valves will vary, but generally within 45 to 120 seconds. At initial engine start when the engine and exhaust system is already warm, this does not occur.

Steve

Qavion likes this.
  2. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The stock solenoid valve for the F355 is part number 159177 and list for something like $175. This is same valve for the 550 / 575M

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I may have the ports to vacuum tank and exhaust bypass valve reversed. But I believe I labeled them correctly.

The reason Capistro includes a new solenoid valve is that one would have swap the input line for the vacuum source and connect it to the atmosphere vent port. But the protective cap prevents that. The Capristo valve kit includes their new bypass valve and new solenoid valve ... for something like $1300.

Note, that Capristro instructions state to keep the small port on the back (normally used to the incoming vacuum source) free so it ports to atmosphere. The incoming vacuum then attaches to what is normally the atmosphere venting port.

Now if you wanted purchase a new bypass valve (that defaults to open when no vacuum) and a new solenoid valve (see below) you can do so for around $20 for the solenoid valve and between $80 to $250 for a new flapper valve ...

And you can then utilize the atmosphere port as an intake port for the vacuum source (coming from the vacuum accumulator tank) ...

This solenoid valve cost $20 on Amazon and is functionally identical to the F355 valve that cost $175. When used on the F355 / 550 / 576M with the Capristro replacement bypass valve, you would run the intake for vacuum to the silver colored port and the rear port then becomes the vent to atmosphere. If used with the stock bypass valve, then leave the silver port vented to atmosphere.

By the way, the above valve by Pierburg is functionally identical to any vacuum solenoid valve on any Ferrari. The difference in the Ferrari part number valves is they may have mounting bases to accept bolt or nut. The above valve can be mounted anywhere with a stainless steel hose clamp or cable tie.

Steve

Attached Files:

Need4Spd and Qavion like this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Strange. On my previous car, an '89 Lotus Esprit Turbo, there was a flap in the exhaust system which restricted airflow during the warm-up cycle to improve the heating of the cat. It was fully open during cranking to help the car start.

https://lotusmarques.com/info/technical/30/592-lotus-esprit-clean-power-part-2

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #29 360trev, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Only just seen this thread.. :)

Right where do I begin...

There are multiple answers to the original posters question because the exhaust valve control calibrations are actually done differently depending quite a few different factors and therefore you don't really have ONE answer, you have MANY :)

Lets break it down a little bit so its easier to understand.

1. The market destination of the vehicle, e.g. Europe, USA/Canada, UAE, Australia, etc.
    This is an important factor because different laws existed in different geographical locations when the 360 was launched back in 1999...

2. The model year of the car
    The model year is also important as legal regulations changed about how a car manufacturer could interpret those laws depending on the year the car was introduced. Think of it like this, the later cars got more restrictions on how much noise they could produce.

Also later firmware releases from 2003 on could actually use a different valve calibration table depending on if you where in Normal or Sport Mode, or Sport vs Race (on CS).

3. The model variant
    Some 360's had no valves (360 Challenge race car) and some had them (Modena, Spider, Challenge Stradale)

4. The model options (did the car get specified with a standard or optional sports exhaust from factory) ?
    This is a very important element, since the optional sports exhaust basically 'bypasses' the back box with its clever exhaust valve routing on opening, it was deemed far to anti-social to open at the same times as the stock exhaust so the calibrations where done so that the valves opened much later into the rpm range and % of throttle/torque requested from the driver.

Make sense?

Masteryoda, Mimmo Blue and Need4Spd like this.
  5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Some examples... Here's an opening table for a 360 Modena from 1999 MY destination is USA, with a Standard Backbox (no factory optional sports exhaust fitted).

This car opens its exhaust valves at 69%+ Throttle (torque) requested (or above) and 2,920+ rpm (or above), in both Normal or Race mode (same map)...

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    More examples...

Same car, a 1999 MY car for USA market, this time with a Sports Exhaust fitted from factory, or with the kit that came with the extra ECU's....

This time the valves open completely differently and much later into the rpm range...

Here you can see that with a sports exhaust the ecu won't open the exhaust valves until 81% Torque requested (throttle pedal request) and this time you need to be at 6,200 rpm before the valve is opened! Much later than the stock backbox but that's because its MUCH louder....

However on the sports exhaust the ecus got select-able exhaust maps depending on if you where in Normal or Sports mode...

Lets take a look what Sports (also called Race mode in the CS) mode looks like...

Ahh, that's better, now its opening at 5,000 rpm which is over 2,000 rpm LATER than the on the standard Backbox car and 69%, still later than a stock exhaust car but much better than in Normal mode...

As you can see the conditions get complex, they are a blend of legal, driver mode and firmware (model year) based conditions so many 360's are very different in this regard depending on all of this..

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    One other important consideration on dB level is also related to Market Segment the car was originally destined for.

For example UAE based 1999 Modena's had >NO< cats!!! No header cats and no main cats. That's right, they where without doubt the LOUDEST Factory road legal 360's that exist!

Also EU cars got smaller, less restrictive cats than US and we also didn't have header cats (in any model year) whereas USA cars from 2001 got both header cats and main cats, both sapping power and restricting performance and throttle responses considerably compared to the EU cars. This also contributed to difference performance, EU cars where lighter and faster overall but not as light, loud or as fast as a well spec'd UAE car :)

Need4Spd likes this.
  8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    USA spec 2001+ cars got SLS, Secondary Air Injection to perform faster heating of the cars. Basically the ECU injects TONNES of extra fuel during warm up phase and an air pump injects a huge amount of air which lights off the cats and the o2 sensors much faster (less than a minute later) the cats are operating at a good temperature and the o2 sensors are working within their operating range. This system obviously adds more weight (and therefore blunts performance further compared to EU cars)...

Need4Spd and Qavion like this.
  9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes, the OP was last seen over 3 years ago so I'm sure he's got shot of his 360 now but I'm hoping the details I've provided will help at least get some understanding out there about how this system really works...

Ofcourse when you re-map the engine software you can fully calibrate any of these settings (among tens of other feature) to whatever conditions you like so don't think that just because your car came "preset" like that its fixed. A tuned or modified car can open the valves at any point and under any circumstances it wants. This is why AV Engineering offer full personalized exhaust valve calibrations tailored to whatever you want when a tune is requested and I'm sure now as the information gets more understood many more people and tuners will offer this too.

Mimmo Blue, Caphill and Need4Spd like this.
  10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Just when I think Trev is a genius.... I'm reminded there is MORE.... so much more!
    thanks for your contribution to this old platform.

Great read.

Need4Spd, Flyingbrick242 and 360trev like this.
  11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Glad you like it..

Not genius, just methodical...

I have also spent the best part of 5 years going into great detail to understand exactly how the factory engine software works at the lowest level of step-by-step software instructions, not to mention all the Ferrari specific elements including geographical differences and its been a huge task. Bosch had a whole team of engineers developing this, its way more complex than most people imagine but its also now at the point where I have the know how to treat our cars as if they are an aftermarket management system, I can pretty much do anything including adding new features and changing the core logic of existing features.

Caphill likes this.
  12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Can you share your network of authorized dealers for installing your software worldwide?
    Us bumpkins in the colonies could use your special tuning.... but do not have access to AVoicy.

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    @360trev

If you modify the 360 factory software, does it still communicate the "stock" version to the OBD2 central computer run by the state of California Air resources board? If the central computer sees an after market tuned software version, smog test fails.

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Even better, for those who track their cars and face sound limits, or have neighbors who complain of noise, is to tie the activation to a GPS signal, so they close when in range of neighbors or sound measurement stations!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes, obd checks are fine for the 360.

The CVN , calibration Verification number is not implemented on 360s so it cannot be verified by obd anyway. What they can do is communicate readiness and so forth over a smog standard called key word protocol 2000.

Technically CVN is a big mess and it has many flaws. It's a checksum that runs on the calibration segment of the firmware so the ECU must report it back and it must match stock.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Need4Spd likes this.
  16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Any idea what model years or which model Ferraris (e.g. beginning with 430s? 458s?) that CVN becomes an issue?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I was wondering the same thing. Would a 430 modified ECU pass the CVN madness check?

18. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Actually this can be configure too using the phone app (coming soon!) Via the obd dongle talking to our custom firmware!

Need4Spd likes this.
  19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Technically any Bosch firmware based can override it without hacking the code as it has some serious loop holes. So not a problem if you know what your doing.

Need4Spd likes this.
  20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look at 430 ABS software- from what i read on here you can get the bosch mechanical block but not the ferrari software to go with it. Now listed as NLA last time i looked