2008 599 HGTE | FerrariChat

2008 599 HGTE

Discussion in '612/599' started by JM280z, Jan 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Hi All,

I’m going to do a full service and a bit more on a 2008 599 HGTE. It’s got 15k miles.

Obviously all fluids, plus: adjust the PIS/clutch gap, front tie rods, rear brake pads, F1 accumulator, spark plugs, and maybe some interior things like reverse button and headliner.

Questions:
    Any other items I should address? Some solenoids maybe?

On my F430 I bought a Fiat F1 Accumulator from Poland for only $70 vs Ferrari dealer wanted like $400. Any links to affordable options?

Anyone else fix a drooping headliner themselves?

I’m going to buy after market wheels or another set of HGTEs, because I don’t want to dent the HGTE ones. That should get this car fully sorted for a couple years. Any additional thoughts? Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thank you for helping make Ferrari ownership affordable! FChat community is great.

2. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    We need more DIY'ers in this Forum!!!! I'd like to know where people are sourcing their parts for DIY services. I was looking last night and there's no central place to buy a "599 oil change kit" for example. I'll have supplies coming from 4 or 5 vendors. I bought everything that I need for my DB9 service from 1 vendor. Not the same with the 599. Maybe an opportunity for someone like @Ricambi America or @Normal Guy Supercar.

I've done the headliner in my DB9. Not a difficult project getting it in and out.....not sure on a 599, but it can't be that hard. A good upholstery guy is a plus. :)
    Do you have sticky buttons?
    Assuming "all fluids" includes Flush brake fluid, Gearbox fluid change, coolant?

Jim

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

@jimshadow thanks for the shout out !

Sorry we couldn't satisfy your requirements online. Next time, give us a telephone call. Indeed, we have many different 599 service kits, from oil change kits to VC gasket kits, etc.

jimshadow likes this.
  4. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I spent quite a bit of time on your website last night looking......do you have a link to a 599 service kit or does it require a call? ?

5. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I have to go deal with some stuff at the office today. If I get my act together, I'll get it updated properly. Here's what is included:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

^ please excuse the ugliness of a screen grab from our inventory/whse control system.

jimshadow likes this.
  7. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Nice your 599 but the Hgte was launched in Geneva in March 2009, so an 2008 599 Hgte could be only an upgrade

8. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I appreciate the shout out... We don't carry oem parts but you tagged Ricambi which is where I would have suggested you go so all is good!

jimshadow likes this.
  9. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jim, I think you have to assemble the kit yourself. I've never seen anything like the kind of kits you can get for 308.

jimshadow likes this.
  10. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

12. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    George Vosburgh likes this.
  13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Remember the TPMS

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I would only do those when changing tires. Unless your tires are new, you skipped it, and there is an issue, there is no reason to change them.

A few weak points: check for radiator leaks, check for shock leaks, hood and boot struts are getting old and a bit wonky, flamblocs and tierod ends should be checked (IE: suspension parts). There are a lot of sticky bits and even if you think yours are all done, pull the trunk floor and look where the tool kit is located; that will be a giant tar ball by now. NOTE: checking the oil has a very specific procedure. You need to read it and follow it.

ducatiguy likes this.
  15. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Yes, it was upgraded at a Ferrari dealer.

16. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I will try and take some photos along the way and share the experience. My F430 job was easy. More people should do it in my opinion. Saves time and money along with gaining respect for the car. However, with these cars, I make sure to use torque wrenches, proper hardware, and consult more experienced friends. Little room for error!

Buttons aren't sticky, but rather the reverse button has cracked.

"Assuming "all fluids" includes Flush brake fluid, Gearbox fluid change, coolant?"
    -Yes

ducatiguy likes this.
  17. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Yea, I am pretty sure I have some bad tie rods. Sharp turns produce a knock and small bumps too.

Regarding oil:
    At some point, someone over filled the oil. It was regurgitating up into the air intake system and dripping through a crack onto the headers. Resulted in heavy smoke when I was pulling up to a dealer to buy my F430. I ran inside, "MY FERRARI IS ON FIRE! Extinguisher!" We ran out there with an extinguisher and determined it was oil drip and let it smoke out opposed to soaking engine bay in fire suppressant. The dealer did a free service on it, granted I bought the F430 from them too!

Skidkid likes this.
  18. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Is there an F1 accumulator in the 599 like the 430? Replacing it in the 430 gave me great improvement in shifting. Along with adjusting the position indicator sensor for the clutch.

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Easy to over fill. People assume it is like the 360 but it is not. Oil check procedure: bring car to temp, run at 4500 RPM for 1 minute, let idle for 2 min, check oil (while still running). If you skip the middle two steps (like a 360) you will end up at least 1 quart over. And yes, it has happened to me as well. If I ran moderately hard it would start burning oil and smoke would come out the pipes; it also corrupts the MAF so you get a CEL pretty soon and have to replace the MAFs.

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Jake, I'm just curious, but at 15K your rear brake pads are shot? If that's the case, you may have a problem with the calipers.

21. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Rotors front and rear are 52% worn. Front pads 8mm remaining and rear 6mm remaining. Ferrari dealer recommended to replace rear. The tires are 10-year-old age rotted; the rear breaks free too much, causing traction control to use rear brakes more than normal. Thoughts?

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh, I was assuming you had CCM rotors and pads.

The rear tires are breaking loose because they are 5 years too old.

Skidkid likes this.
  23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    He does have CCMs if it is a US MY 08 599.

24. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I do have carbon ceramic brakes

25. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hmmmm, how could they be worn out in just 15K miles, unless most of those miles were on the track?

My FF has 21K and my 612 has over 53K and neither is close to needing rotors nor pads.