348 engine out major | Page 30 | FerrariChat

348 engine out major

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ernie, Feb 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Jason, has this wire been pulled out of the plug or is it a separate connection?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The plug looks like (118) from the wiring diagrams, but I can't see the colour on the separate wire.

2. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hi Ian. Happy new year to you and all !

on my car, both sides of the wiring loom have the large 78(?) pin connector, a smaller white connector with approx 6-10 wires on the plug, and a single connector which is what you have circled. The single connector goes to the magic button that allows you to pull the codes.

3. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason

I lowered the car to around 10 inches off the ground, to investigate the coolant and throttle connections at the front of the engine.

I then noticed that the first thing Ernie does once the engine is pulled is remove the plenum. I have done this before with the engine in the car, so this is what I did.

as you can see, it is a lot clearer what is going on now……

4. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason

As you can see, the throttle cable is held on with a little circlip. It is not clear to me how you would remove this with the plenum in the car ?

ernie likes this.
  5. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Qavion likes this.
  6. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason

You can see here the AC still in the car. I strapped it with electrical wire for the initial disconnect, but then during jacking I had to cut this wire to move it a little.

7. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    superformance in uk had a great price on a whole cable for the 348. They make them (or have them made)and it’s as good as any patent part IMO.

ernie likes this.
  8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I have used them all.

Ricambi
    Superformance
    Marenello
    GT Car Parts
    FerrParts
    Ferrari Beverly Hills
    Algar (back in the days)
    Eurospares
    QV London
    Exotic Car Parts
    T.Rutlands
    Ferrari Parts Exchange

Just to name a few.

It all depended on who had what, and at what price. Because there may be a supplier you like but they may not have what you need, or can’t get it when you need it.

Qavion likes this.
  9. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    ernie likes this.
  10. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hi. I am in the market for an engine stand and cherry picker. Anyone know how heavy the engine is ? It looks like the car weighs around 1.5 ton but cannot fine engine weight.

I was wondering if 0.5 ton engine stand would
    Be sufficient??

also, going to need to get the cam covers power coated. If anyone has recommendations for that, I would truly appreciate….

thanks I’m advancing.

11. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks in advance.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No need for a cherry picker. Engine drops out the bottom. I suppose you could remove it from the top, but the gearbox would have to be removed first, and the exhaust manifolds would have to be removed also I would think.

The power train assembly probably weighs about 1000lbs

13. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hey Tom. Tbanks for the reply. I have the engine out. I am going to remove it from the frame, like Ernie does in this thread.

my primary objective here is to clean it, but I may as well do the tensioner pads whilst I am there.

14. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith

When I had mine out I powder coated the intake red to match the intake manifolds.

I also had all the parts originally zinc coated sent to a coater near me to be re-zinced gold as originally done by Ferrari. I cleaned every square inch of the engine, rebuilt alternator, and rebuilt both engine management harness with new connectors and jpt pins that last 50 times longer than what Ferrari put in it. I highly recommend doing this.

If your going to put HE tensioner on you might as well replace the belt. Use a marker on your old belt making marks correlating to location on each wheel/pulley just in case for beginning reference. The belt change procedure is easy but make sure you spend the patience to time it correctly. Don’t just swap the belt and call it good.

Qavion likes this.
  15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

Oh..my bad. Carry on..

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You don't need to remove the engine from the cradle to do the tensioner pad. You jack up the whole thing 16 inches off the ground, put four jack stands under the frame, and there is more than enough room to do what you need.

17. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    I wouls say it's not a bad idea to remove the engine from the frame. I did on my recent major maint and it made the whole procedure easier. Split the engine and gearbox and lify the engine onto a stand. Easy to remove the oil pan in order to remove the front chain case cover. Also the clutch is now accessible for insp. Also you can re-pack the flywheel grease, re pack the driveshaft couplings, do a major cleaning, etc. I also found that the roller brg recall (1992) was also never done on the sprocket shaft. My attitude was "while your in there" do it all now.........

18. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I am very jealous of FSM348’s engine. This is how I want mine to look !

I plan on doing a bunch of stuff while the engine out.

may I ask….if anyone knows…..

Do you think a 0.5 ton. Engine stand and lift is good enough ?

does anyone know any power coaters that they would recommend? Ideally is the US

thanks I’m advance !

19. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yes that is plenty. The engine weighs about 300/lbs dry, same for the gearbox around 300/lbs.

Any good powered coating company will do. I used gloss powder coating on my engine, and FSM348 used the wrinkle powered coating.

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #745 Ferrarium, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    The wrinkle powder coating is from prismatic it's called desert red or hacienda red depending on what shade you like.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I did 3 engine out majors on my 348 in a similar fashion. It's been a while but I think 2 of us had it out in ~3 hours and in in about the same time. If I remember correctly (and not confusing w/TR majors I've done), but I think we left the wheels on and was able to roll the drivetrain around to where I did the actual work.

I never think to document this stuff as I'm too busy just knocking it out. Great job sharing the info for the faithful!

22. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    I agree with Ernie. I have a 1000lb engine stand as well and would not hesitate to put just about any Ferrari motor on it if you have the right adapters. Honestly, I just put mine on a 1000lb rated dolly and called it a day. As far as the powder coating I just went with a local shop and asked to see some samples. They just so happened to have a red wrinkle finish that I liked and picked it. The frame I had them first powder coat primer it for extreme corrosion resistance and then powder coat on top with standard satin black wrinkle finish. I used SEM Undercoat spray on the air boxes and other parts of the frame that were not able to be removed and it matched quite well. Inspect your heat shields while its out and get some DEI cable heat shield and put it on any cable or sensor near a heat source.

23. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
  24. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason