Maserati Mistral Incoming | FerrariChat

Maserati Mistral Incoming

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by cls, Jan 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I guess I am a glutton for punishment, but I am taking on a new restoration project. There's scant information out there about these cars, any advice is appreciated.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

AZ77 and EastMemphis like this.
  2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Back in 1981, my brother bought a 1968 Mistral for $4000. It had been completely disassembled down to the nuts and bolts of the engine. The former owner, a dentist, had taken it on as a project a decade before. He meticulously kept all the parts in little labeled bags and had anything that needed restoring, restored. He just didn't have the gumption to put it back together again.

It took my brother about six months to finish it, and when it was done, it looked like your picture above. Quite a stunning car. He kept it for about five years and finally sold it to a NASA engineer for about $30k (1986).

He never let me drive it.

3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Chris...

Congratulations on your purchase.. I have 109.102 (1964) in my possession...
    Looks very similar to yours.. Mine is still waiting for me to get to it... But I may
    be able to answer some questions, should you have any... Others on here will be
    able to do the same.

Mike

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think if you'll dig a little bit that there is plenty of information on these cars out there. This is a great place to start but you might also try contacting MIE to see if they still have any of the magazine articles and technical bulletins for them. Join a Maserati club and go to meets & concours to connect with other owners. That's what we used to do when there was no internet at all and people did restore these cars back then.

5. P.Cappelle

P.Cappelle Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Pedro Cappelle
    Congratulations on your purchase. A source of info is this website, here is an overview of skilled people with access to parts and solutions.
    https://www.classichemasters.com/workshops-listing
    if you have any questions, please use [email protected] to get in touch.

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well be careful out there when buying long distance. This particular car turned out to be fraud. As busy as I am I thought about wiring sight unseen. My search continues.

7. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    What site was that from?

8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The car was on ebay.

9. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Chris. Sorry to hear this was a scam! But I have to say when I first saw the eBay listing and the price at the time , the scam word popped into my head. Plus a couple of the pictures looked A LOT like the pictures floating around of my car. But, honestly I couldn’t be certain! When it sold I thought ok-no scam! Don’t give up something will turn up!!
    Mike