308 gtb alternator | FerrariChat

308 gtb alternator

Discussion in '308/328' started by johnhold, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhold

johnhold Rookie

Jul 5, 2016
    Uk
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi all having a bit of a problem my alternator is not charging the battery is their some sort of fuse for the alternator or somat to look for before I have go down the root of trying to get it out cheers

2. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    You can check your belt tension. The location of the alternator makes it kind of awkward to apply leverage and get good tension on the belt. I was having charging issues a while back, and they magically went away after I managed to get the belt under proper tension. Worked fine for another year and 1000+ miles before I replaced all the belts during a major service.

I would say the next culprit would be the voltage regulator/brush. They do wear-out, especially the old ones with moving parts inside. Easy to swap out and not very expensive, but you will have to get the alternator out first. (And then, even worse, re-install it.) I don't think you can change it in-place.

All that being said, before I did any HARD work, I would just make sure my battery, battery terminals and ground strap were all in good shape. Additionally, if your car has had a battery-cut off switch installed, (many have) take a close look at that.

Good luck

johnhold likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have replaced regulators with the alternator in place. Not a bad job if car is on hoist.

Milkshaker0007, johnhold and waymar like this.
  4. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    Ah, lots of jobs are easier with an actual lift. Maybe in my next house.

johnhold likes this.
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Is the charging light on? (Either lit on startup, or lit while the car is running, or never)

Been awhile since I've dealt with the 308 alternator... but it seems like the "charging light" on the dash is wired in series to the (+) terminal, and this 12V source is required to tell the alternator "ok, do your thing." If that circuit isn't complete, I'm not sure the alternator will start charging.

(My apologies if I'm wrong on this; pls correct my misinfo if appropriate.)

johnhold likes this.
  6. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Vinsanity and johnhold like this.
  7. johnhold

johnhold Rookie

Jul 5, 2016
    Uk
    Full Name:
    John

8. johnhold

johnhold Rookie

Jul 5, 2016
    Uk
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi cheers for all the replys I've checked all ground straps seen to be all good I gather the charging light is the bottom right red one with g written on it that lights up with ignition on but as a dim light when running I've took the voltage regulator off seems like plenty of meat on the bushes but I've reorderd another one just incase .got a green and yellow wire what plugs in at the side of the positive terminal what is this for and where does it go 2 seems to have a feed going to it and is their some sort of fuse what I might be missing outher than that looks like alternator out if the regulator doesent work

9. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Check the heavy gauge cable that runs from the alternator to the starter. Mine was rusted at the starter terminal. After cutting off the old connector and refitting clean wire to a new one, all was perfect again. I was chasing my tail on the same problems you are having.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Apologies if I'm asking the obvious but have you checked the DC voltage? One or more of the diodes may be bad or the regulator.