Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa | FerrariChat

Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by garybobileff, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    As many of you know, Cavallino Magazine and the Cavallino event in Palm Beach have been sold to an Italian company called Canossa. As of this writing, we are 9 days from the 2022 Cavallino event in Palm Beach. Yesterday, a letter was issued from Canossa to 6 senior judges who have judged Cavallino for well over 20 years stating that these 6 judges are not welcome on the grounds at Cavallino 2022. These judges are from not only the USA, but Europe as well. The reason given is that these six judges are selling used Ferraris, as a business. I am one of the six. Plans have been made, airline tickets have been bought, airport parking has been paid for, hotels have been paid, all to be cancelled because of this. There seems to be no response when asking Canossa for re-imbursement. Standard practice is that all judges pay their own way and expenses, no matter where in the world they are traveling from, as I have done cheerfully over the past 23 years.
    According to Canossa and Ferrari, with Canossa stating that Ferrari is their principal sponsor, there was a list provided of 60 substitute judges who are salesman at Ferrari Dealerships, not Concours professional judges. How many Ferrari new car salesman are qualified to properly judge a 250 SWB, California Spyder, or 275 GTB/4 ? This is wrong. The rumor mill has it that next year the event will be moved to Miami, and that only Classiche certified cars will only be allowed entry into the Cavallino Concours, all being judged by Ferrari new car dealer salesman. The is also strong talk about cars not being restored by Ferrari SPA which will not be allowed to be exhibited. This system is rigged , and it's not right.
    I would be very leery in having any future dealings with the Canossa organization in any of their planned events, as their decisions are very unfair and biased.
    Gary Bobileff in San Diego

cc8s, 4re308, furmano and 22 others like this.
  2. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    That's very disheartening. I am a National level 1967 Corvette Judge in the NCRS and REAL judging events always have drama and back room garbage...The NCRS has avoided a lot of that, but some pervades. This is not good news for the show or the hobby. I was planning on having my car judged this year, but pulled out as it's too new to me and i haven't had time to prepare her properly for the event...was going to do it next year, but trust me - if it gets moved to Miami i will not be attending nor having my car judged.....Doesn't surprise me at the end of the day, as my Grandmother always said - when big money is at stake, things get squirrely

jm2 likes this.
  3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    who are the other 5?

4. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    one thing to be told not to judge, another to be told not allowed on the grounds...wowza

cc8s, jm2, megamarco9 and 3 others like this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've reached out to Luigi, we'll see if we can get someone on here to discus. Thanks.

CarloR likes this.
  6. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I am finding out who the other 5 are, I was told Steve Algrim was another, and one judge from the UK.
    The sad part is that the decision by Canossa is unwarranted, as the following judges are also in the Ferrari sales business, with Ferrari's listed for sale on their web site, but haven't been kicked out ( yet) , those are ;
    Dave Olympi, Bill Orth, Paul Russell, and others.
    Gary Bobileff

GREG MARUCCHI likes this.
  7. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The exact language was
    " WE CAN NO LONGER HAVE A NON AUTHORIZED DEALER PRESENCE ON THE DAY OF THE CONCOURS"
    signed,
    Francesca Messori
    Gary Bobileff

8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Mind-boggling to me how this will transfer to more future $$ or any shred of credibility going forward.

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #9 Marcel Massini, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    @Gary: OUTSTANDING, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SPEAKING OUT LOUD AND CLEAR. SUPER IMPORTANT.
    This is a real scandal.
    I knew about this since a few days.
    Bye bye Cavallino.
    I give them 2 years max.
    Feel extremely sorry for John Barnes. He did an amazing job for 30 great years (plus the mag since 1978) as did the many expert judges from all over the world and now it's all over.
    I even heard the judges will have to wear the new Ferrari fashion on concours day..........
    Another person kicked out from judging is from the UK, a gentleman employed by DK Engineering.
    This is madness.

Speechless.

PS: What a great opportunity for a new event!

Marcel Massini

cc8s, 4re308, furmano and 47 others like this.
  10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    From one of the entrants for next week, owner of a gorgeous classic mid-60s Ferrari:
    Quote:

"That is shocking! The sad thing is that my vehicle is being transported to the venue as we speak. If I had known this with spare time I would not have participated."

Marcel Massini

chrixxx, Hawkeye, Thecadster and 7 others like this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    As you stated -and I fully agree- within two years the event will collapse probably with a Miami beach Ferrari fashion show and zero classic Ferraris, in front of a clueless nouveau riche audience who bought the latest Ferrari to show off and never drive... the tragic destruction of a very special event...
    I am lucky to be able to cherish the memories of attending from the 1992 start each year till 2005 and then in 2008...and in view of this train wreck will almost certainly never attend again.

cc8s, Hawkeye, lm2504me and 13 others like this.
  12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Why not just hold the re-branded Cavallino in a dealer showroom? That seems like the most logical conclusion. Then, the dealer reps could sit in familiar surroundings, and it would be close their 'certified' restoration facility for any non-compliant vehicle.

/sarcasm

Abi2612, NoGoSlow, 020147 and 8 others like this.
  13. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    To add insult to injury, I just tried cancelling my Breakers hotel pre paid reservation at the Breakers, and was told that the cancellation policy is 14 days before arrival, and if cancelled in less than the 14 days, the entire amount is forfeited. No exceptions. My arrival to Cavallino is in 9 days, I am screwed. Thank you, Canossa, what a cheap trick!
    Gary Bobileff

14. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    I see attorneys in the future.....
    Gary, come to Florida and enjoy the weather and all we have to offer....Saddened to hear of this news, but make the best of it...we are having wonderful weather right now....Best to you.....

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    try selling room on fchat

FerrfanFL likes this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Invoice these Canossa people, cc your attorney.

srslusso and Jack-the-lad like this.
  17. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Gary, just change the dates and go to the hotel some other time. It's better than just loosing the money.

375+ and Marcel Massini like this.
  18. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

This is total insanity. Most Ferrari dealers don't know ANYTHING about the old cars. Believe me, I've tried to talk to them: no respondo.
    If they are trying to ruin the show, this is the way.

19. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

I know Dave and I bought a car from Bill, what's different about what they do and what Gary does? Nothing.

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I know my opinion about this is pretty much worthless in all scheme of things, especially since I’ve never even been to Cavallino, but I just can’t believe this is a real “surprise” to anyone.
    I expected/suspected something like this to be in the future as soon as I learned the event (& the magazine) were sold.
    This is how corporate takeovers work and have always done.

I do feel sorry for all those who got caught in this s#itstorm and if this is how Canossa/Cavallino handle their affairs, it pretty much guarantees I will never participate in anything they organize.

21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Among the disinvited judges are two Brits, one working for DK Eng and the other for Girardo & Co.. Both personally known to me, super nice men and experienced Ferraristi.
    Plus an independent dealer from Miami. Plus one other person from the U.S.

Marcel Massini

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  22. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Why would any of the owners go through the hassle and expense of prepping and getting their cars to the field when the entire competition is a joke? Dealer salesmen posing as concours judges? If I were a concours car owner I'd be deeply insulted.

cc8s, 4re308, ddrewesusa and 6 others like this.
  23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I hope they do move it to Miami. Then a consortium of true Ferraristi can organize a proper event along the lines of the "old" Cavallino.

I had intended to enter my car and had been in contact with Ellen Mitchell and John Barnes last year. However, when I read about recent events this past fall, I told Paul Russell & Co. not to rush their work on my car as I wasn't attending anyway. Now I'm really glad.

24. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    As an update, I spoke with the manager at the Breakers, and ultimately they have issued a refund, which is commendable, and the right thing to do. Secondly, I received an email from the Canossa person in charge of ? , Mr. Luigi Orlandini. He was cordial, and extended an invitation to see the Concours, but not judge, giving a VIP ticket to me, or if this wasn't acceptable, he has offered to refund my travel expenses. I accepted the refund, as I will not want to participate in any way.
    Gary Bobileff

cc8s, 4re308, jjmalez and 28 others like this.
  25. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    The ARROGANCE of the people in charge of this event is unreal! As I was reading this I could not believe how outrageous this all is, simple amazing to me they would think the current crop of Ferrari salesmen would know anything about the early cars. When I take on occasion my Daytona to my local dealer its obvious they know next to nothing about it, I am not disparaging the crew at the dealership its just a fact ,after all that really is not their job to know the early cars.