Fitting Carbon Fibre winglets | FerrariChat

Fitting Carbon Fibre winglets

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by H00dedclaw, Jan 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. H00dedclaw

H00dedclaw Rookie

Oct 24, 2015
    Hi Chaps I fancy doing the upgrade is it a DIY job or take to dealer, clearly you cant easy reach round to undo the bolts form what i see is it a under tray off job which for me would be dealer, i wondered if it was a panel in the front boot.. cant find anything on the net explaining it

2. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    When I pursued was told, the front bumper needed to be removed. Not possible to remove from just underneath.

3. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just bought a set of these in CF as well and the dealer told me the entire front bumper needs to be removed. Owell....still worth it IMO

4. Capristo Exhaust

Dec 20, 2007
    Sundern/Germany
    Yes, can confirm that the front bumper has to be removed to mount the winglets.

Best

Ignacio

5. RC33

RC33 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2005
    Garden City
    Full Name:
    RC33
    Can anyone advise how does the front bumper winglets actually benefit?
    Where does the winglets remove/relieve heat from?

6. H00dedclaw

H00dedclaw Rookie

Oct 24, 2015
    Thanks guys wonder what the charge for bumper removal would be !!! Winglets are £600 odd ...winglets unless I'm wrong are down force airflow not cooling ..but I guess the rads benefit as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    they are for front end down force.

8. boeckman2003

boeckman2003 Karting

Oct 7, 2015
    Nothing to do with heat transfer, they bend for more down force. There is a 458 Italia book on amazon that goes through all of it. Pretty cool.

9. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I would estimate 2 hours Ferrari dealer labor to get them installed.

10. RC33

RC33 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2005
    Garden City
    Full Name:
    RC33
    Just found this link ... posted here for easy reading.

"The Show

Two flexible winglets. This is what the Ferrari 458 Italia starts with. Placed in the lower front apron, these aero-elastic elements their nature very well. These generate downforce and reduce the drag as speed increases by minimizing the radiator intake surface.

Nevertheless, when you look at them, you wouldn’t say that you’re dealing with active aerodynamics. This hidden nature of the aforementioned twin elements isn’t random. Ferrari wanted the 458 Italia to rely on discrete aero bits.

For example, you shouldn’t be fooled by the moderate size of the air intakes placed adjacent to the rear side windows. These feed the V8 using an air ram effect that offers 5 HP at top speed.

There are vents placed inward of the headlamps that feed the front brakes with cool air and then dispose of it via the outlets that sit on the exterior of the light clusters.

Lean and look inside the rear wheel arches. Here you’ll find air intakes that not only serve an engine cooling purpose, but also reduce drag by neutralizing the air currents created at the sides of the vehicle. The air they take it is sent out though the grilles on the inner side of the taillights.

The engine compartment is also cooled by air collected from under the car, as well as through the intakes at the sides of the rear window. As for the aforementioned sections placed inboard of the rear lights, these also hold the radiators for the clutch and gearbox oil.

At the end of the Ferrari 458 Italia, we find two elements working together. While the rear diffuser is pretty generous in size, the boot only holds a small lip spoiler that generates downforce. Yes you tuners, this means that you’re exaggerating with your huge fixed wings!

Despite the aforementioned subtle aero work, the Ferrari 458 Italia is more aerodynamic and generates greater downforce compared to the F430. Take it to its top speed and the air will add about a quarter of the car’s own weight."

FERRARI 458 Italia Review (Page 2)

11. Jafooli

Jafooli Rookie

Jan 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If the winglets work by flexible deformation, shouldn't carbon fibre perform differently due to it being a much stuffer material?

12. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I did this myself a few months ago. Nothing difficult, just a lot of fasteners to remove. I sorta slid the front cover off and onto a weight bench that was the perfect height. From there I could access the bolts. Also added CF frunk trim while I was at it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Nice!
    Can you post photos of the frunk trim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    fazooley likes this.
  15. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Very cool, and even cooler you can see it with the hood closed near the wipers!

16. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    Oh yea. I've been dying to do this. For anyone interested in changing the winglets Dan NormalGuy made a video on this also. This guys videos are priceless for 458 owners

17. Jafooli

Jafooli Rookie

Jan 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm more interested in how these actually work and if carbon fibre being stiffer effects the performance.

Are there any videos or animations that explain these?

18. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The 458 Challenge car completely removed them, so I wouldn’t be too concerned, though it has other aero enhancements.

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    If you take a moment to articulate your OEM front winglets through their travel manually you will see that the 'flex' takes place where the wing mounts and not in the wing itself. The wing is entirely rigid regardless of the material of construction. As such the whether the wings are the OEM ones or the carbon ones it makes no difference to performance.

20. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    The CF ones still flex like the original ones, I had the dealer install them last month

21. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Carbon fiber winglets were a factory option so functionality would be the same regardless of material.