F355 Market | Page 328 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You guys are killin' me :).

The early 355 Challenge cars are standard road going 355's with a challenge conversion package purchased and installed at the Ferrari dealer. These cars have VIN and are actually street legal.

The red 355 challenge car posted from Italy was a road going pre-airbag car with carbon sport seats originally, then later turned into a challenge car with challenge seats and roll bar and now reverted back to it's original seats and steering wheel and non roll bar form. Everything else on the car is pretty damn challenged out.

Challenge cars have super stiff bushings, super stiff springs, different valved (more aggressive) shocks, and a "secret" re-map of the Bilstein ECU. I've never driven a 355 Challenge, but I'd imagine it's not ideal for the road. Most likely superb for a smooth road course.

Anyone buying that car and looking to take it on the road frequently should look at changing out to OE bushings or monoball bushings from M-tecnologia, OE shocks and springs, and original mapped Bilstein damper ECU. Good news for you. I have original springs and damper ECU available for sale. You just gotta find the standard shocks :). If you can put together a Fiorano Handling Pack setup even better. You just need to find the springs once you've found the standard shocks. The car already comes with the same front and rear anti-roll bars as FHP and the quick steering rack. Also has the challenge drop links. I'd also look into getting the least squeaky pads you can find.

In short, this car is close to having the best of all the performance and visual goodies Ferrari offered for the 355. It's just a set of dampers, an FHP damper ECU, a set of FHP springs away from being the ultimate "street" 355. A full proper exhaust system wouldn't hurt either :).

Yassa, tres55, Wsmatau and 6 others like this.
  2. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I think it depends what you’re looking for in a particular car. For me the appeal of street driven challenge cars like the 348/355 is the visceral experience of it all. The drama. The noise. The harshness. The absurdity of driving a race car on the road is the appeal for me. I wasn’t fortunate enough to live in the 50s and 60s where this experience was more commonplace with cars such as TRs, SWBs and the like running around. Now everything is so dulled down with adjustable blah blah nanny blah blah stuff it takes cars like a challenge version to feel completely engaged to me. I’ve got several cars and plenty ride better or are much faster, but for me the raucous challenge cars are the purest most authentic Ferrari experience you can get this side of $500k and I love them for it.

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I bought my 1995 F355 Challenge ten years ago. For the first two years, I drove it to local tracks like Pocono Raceway and NJMP Lightning. It was summertime driving with no air conditioning, windows open, 2200 lb/in F and 900 lb/in R Challenge springs, and a Challenge exhaust. It wasn't comfortable driving on local roads but highway driving was just fine...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Getting stuck in traffic was no fun...

:D

These days I have my car trailered to the track and arrive more refreshed...

:)

IvanRico, Yassa, Julia and 6 others like this.
  4. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    While a race-setup 355 Challenge is not a street 355, it works just fine on public backroads and at the track. It even drives ok on dirt…and when raining.

Attached Files:

5. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    And sometimes it can be cleaned and allowed to enter some Ferrari Concours event. :)

Attached Files:

Yassa, Wsmatau and 308 GTB like this.
  6. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Amen.

JSinNOLA and 308 GTB like this.
  7. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah the long rides can get to be too much but buzzing 1/2 hour or 45 min away for lunch or a cars and coffee is great on the right roads.

Separately, I spoke go Jim at Pocono a couple weeks ago and plan to use them for track support this summer up in the NE so I’m sure we’ll get some track time together which should be fun. :)

mclaudio and 308 GTB like this.
  8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right, Claudio. Proper rain tires, look for dull tarmac and follow the rain line. The F355 Challenge does very well in the rain...

audi_328 and mclaudio like this.
  9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Joe,

My limit was 1 1/2 hours at which point I had to get out of the car and gather my wits...and get gas! :D

Jim and his team are the best at track support. Here they are tending to dirty alternator cable contacts to get me back out on the track...

I'm looking forward to seeing you at the track.

Barry

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I’d imagine any Ferrari guy would be just as bewildered seeing this randomly out in the wild as they would seeing an F40. You must get a ton of folks staring :).

Yassa and 308 GTB like this.
  11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    And leaning out car windows taking cell phone pictures. :D

Yassa and ShineKen like this.
  12. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Out of the 3,500+ GTB owners, not a single one selling during the Scottsdale, AZ auctions

RM
    Gooding
    BJ
    RS

Yassa, ShineKen and tres55 like this.
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  14. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Yassa, bcar1, Senshi458 and 1 other person like this.
  15. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Last month while moving into our new home, the driveway was full of moving people that I had to park mine in the woods. I got out and thought this might be a cool pic.

Yassa, Pepsi10, carnutdallas and 6 others like this.
  16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You've been MIA for awhile. Glad you're back :).

17. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Retired over 7 years ago and been more busy since. Lots of sticky cars done and a ton of golf lol

tres55 likes this.
  18. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Does this car for sale still have the front and rear anti - roll bars FHP fitted actually ?

19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I wouldn’t know for certain. But assuming the car converted to challenge spec and everything else seems to be there, I dont see why it wouldn’t have the roll bars or why one would remove them.

I can understand why the owner would remove the roll cage and put back the original seats. For more comfortability. Removing the roll bars wouldn’t improve comfortability.

20. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006

Yes, without putting the car on a lift, we don't know what's really left of a Challenge.

21. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Pepsi10 likes this.
  22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I like that darker red interior. Very nice.

23. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the chrome piece attached to the rollbar?

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Doesn't look like a factory roll bar to me. Nice attempt though :).

25. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K