Testarossa fuel level sending unit | FerrariChat

Testarossa fuel level sending unit

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JohnMH, Jan 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I looked for threads on replacement but came up empty (pun).

Any trick to this? The sending unit is not great (a full tank reads half full), the gasket is leaking slightly (which worries me) and the insulation on the original wires is petrified. It's time for a new unit.

As well, does anyone sell the big, red main +ve connector on the left side of the rear subframe which joins the wire from the starter motor to the battery? The plastic clips which hold them together cracked on mine and they will not stay mated without a zip tie.

The good news is that I finished my engine out major today and the TR runs sweetly. A drive tomorrow morning is in order.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    JohnMH likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The fuel sender repair obviously needs to have the fuel drained. Be really careful, lots of people have been hurt doing this. As I recall it needs a pin socket to remove the nut that holds in the sender. . People have fabricated those and I have also used a pin wrench many times with success. The sender itself for later cars still seems to be available but I have had some repaired by instrument shops.

4. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Unfortunately, I just drained the tanks during the major I just completed, when I changed the fuel pumps, hoses and check valves; I wish I had taken a closer look at the sender unit at that time. After sitting dry for the last few months I suspect a seal has dried out, which has caused the weeping from the bottom of the tank.

Ricambi and Eurospares sell a pattern equivalent; I generally prefer OEM parts, but I am not sure the original sender for a 1991 is still available.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I looked at 2 sources. One said the early part is available and the other offered an alternative view. Good luck.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The pattern equivalents are quality units. Better materials, much better design. I wouldn't hesitate buying one.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147489407/

7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks - will pick one up. Car is on the road today for the first time in 8 months. Runs and feels great. (But the fuel tank reads empty).

8. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Box with sender units apparently arrives today from Ricambi (thanks Daniel!). Any trick to loosening / tightening the locking ring which keeps the sender in the tank? On my Porsche I needed a special tool.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It takes a special tool but I have used a pin wrench and a mallet very carefully. As Daniel if Hill Eng. makes that tool.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  11. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Good question. I await the box.

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks for all of your help - the box arrived safely about 45 minutes ago.

Qavion likes this.
  14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Holy moly -- that was zippy. I don't think I could fly on a commercial jet to the UAE that quickly.

15. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Get a big enough box for yourself and we can take the Testarossa for a drive this weekend. Fuel level sender is already installed and works well. Many thanks!

Qavion likes this.