355 - I need some clutch grease! Help!! | FerrariChat

355 I need some clutch grease! Help!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by speedy pete, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedy pete

speedy pete Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    darkside of the moon
    Full Name:
    Pete B
    So I rebuilt my F355 6sp manual clutch and I need to re-grease the clutch springs. Problem is Ricambi is all out of Kluber clutch grease. Anyone know where I can get 200grams of it? Holy **** I could find a kilo of fine Peruvian blow easier than this stuff. LOL...This sucks I want to get the car back together!

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  3. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Someone was trying a readily available low cost alternative on here recently. Wonder how thats working out?

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The issue isn't availability --- its how to legally bring it into the United States with correct paperwork. Could I cram it into a box and make a customs declaration that was false, misleading, or incorrect? Yes.

Would that be legal? No. I'm 100% certain others will do it. I won't.

The correct HTS codes for it require a pile of additional paperwork and transport restrictions that make it (currently) cost prohibitive for a micro-importer like me. There are many alternatives which can work; I am still trying to develop confidence which one is appropriate for re-sale.

Peter and surfwolf like this.
  5. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    Thank You Daniel for the explanation, and your ethics make me always feel good about my Ricambi purchases!

fatbillybob likes this.
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Just some random datapoints:

Decades ago I used a nothing special generic high temp marine grease and it worked great. But I did not have a long-term time test. I was racing my 348 and before the testing was complete I converted to a solid flywheel. I figure I had maybe 6 months and couple thousand miles on the marine grease.

In a companion thread someone is trying Super lube right now. I'm not sure if his car is running yet but you might want to check in to hear about his results.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148277095/

Kluber grease has a very weird feel unlike any grease I have handled before. It has an unusual stiffness like when my wife whips egg whites and pulls the spatula and the whites stand straight up without falling over. I think it is that property that holds the parts well.

If the Kluber is going to be hard to get then the community is going to have to step up like it has in the past to experiment to find an alternative grease.

Peter likes this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Can't you get it through their US division?

https://www.klueber.com/us/en/company/klueber-lubrication-usa/

8. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I have a tube of it I will sell if you haven't already found some. Just send me a private conversation message if you want it.

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

$1/gram ? :eek: Even I cannot stomach that... and that's saying a lot.

There are not many buyers at that price, especially when other DMF greases (check the VW/Audi world) are available.

11. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I just did mine last month and anguished as to what kind of grease to use. Wound up using a product made by super lube, it is a synthetic silicone based grease with with better specs and a higher melt temp than kluber.....$15 for a 400 gram tub! Incidentally 200g was not near enough to fill it entirely, I wound up using almost 300g. Also the grease is fortified with PTFE you can actually see the nearly microscopic fibers in the grease. Clutch is working like new!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Peter and tatry68 like this.
  12. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    #13 POLO35, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    PS.....it is also white and the exact same NLGI 2 rating as Kluber....Ie same consistently. NLGI 2 has the consistency of room temp peanut butter.

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Kluber grease is not as thick as peanut butter but I am not sure if that is required for it to work. How is SuperLube working in your car?

14. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    It's working beautifully! I had the dreaded hot start issue where it sounded like the starter was missing all its teeth and a can of marbles at shut down. Now it is perfect. I've taken it on several outings and got it nice and hot down here in Florida and it is perfect. I guess time will tell how long it lasts. I really believe what causes this grease failure is the triple seals leaking rather than age or grease quality. Here is an NLGI chart with layperson descriptions of consistency.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    PS.... My old grease was almost completely liquified from years and years of triple seals leaking and I'm sure stretching back to previous owners. Alsi that awful gear oil smell which my wife complained about for weeks because it stunk up the garage. Personally I believe it's less important as to what kind of grease is used, but rather than it's more important to prevent triple seals from leaking and stay on top of it.

Peter likes this.