Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by garybobileff, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Perhaps Motorsport Network owns Ferrari SpA? Or Ferrari SpA owns Motorsport Network?
    God only knows...........

Marcel Massini

2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    It's only a matter of time...

Marcel Massini likes this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    And while we are at it:
    May be Cavallino magazine will become a publicity machine for Canossa? Canossa’s Fall Rally of New England certainly received broad coverage over two pages in issue 246 – not bad for a ten car rally, eight of which were Ferraris. Let's hope that this isn’t the direction an excellent and widely respected quality Ferrari magazine will go in under the new ownership.

Marcel Massini

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    As John Barnes once told me when I was delivering an article in his office: "With Italians it is on a need to know basis only!"

I have had adventures with gators in the Glades but without firearms and my kayak was usually smaller than the gator....

Kent Adams likes this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's why I hunt all my White-tailed deer with bow. :)

Alligator hunt is on my short list. Hunts, eats, and looks great on the wall.

6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I thought you prefer hand-made Tortellini?
    Don't all Motorsport Network employees have to eat the same now?

Marcel Massini

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    These are Texas rats, most often found hill country from Brian's home up towards Brady. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We turned our 3 from that hunt into boots. Most expensive way to get alligator boots.

rob lay likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I never mentioned Texas until Marcel did. Man, the level of post reading here is very elementary.

He's not a pet, 7th day of hunting him I put a 7mag through his heart, it blew chucks out 10 yards the other side of him. Dropped right there and ate really really good.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Biggest danger to them is the Ford F series.

And here I thought Texas would have real deer. Not rats with antlers.

rob lay likes this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    elementary reading ability again, I haven't mentioned Tortellini once. ;) I am enjoying everyone's teasing of Luigi mentioning it though. :)

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Was the cook the grandson of Enzo Ferrari’s personal cook?

Marcel Massini

Il Tifoso, 375+, megamarco9 and 5 others like this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I hear you. All my hides run 10x the price of the store and meat at least that over Kroger. :D My Alaska Dall Sheep was $500 a pound. ;)

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well in various communications he seems to spend more time on food and who is preparing it than he does on the reason people go to the event. I can't help but conclude he doesn't know.

EnzoItaly and Nembo1777 like this.
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    :D Love it.

DBomb117 likes this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    certainly, that wasn't the strong part of his post and room for teasing, but he did provide some important clarifications. hopefully we get another one addressing the additional concerns.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have several emails where the bigger focus is on the food. Food he has yet to tell us we even get to eat.

And to the exclusion of the cars that will be there I might ad. Information I should have had some time ago.

Lusso123 and rob lay like this.
  18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    From December 9, 2020

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You should be buying lottery tickets.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  20. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It's their party now, but if they were going to make major changes a week before the event is NOT the time to do it.

21. alanboe

alanboe Karting

Mar 16, 2005
    Gentlemen: I am one of the eight individuals who founded the IAC/PFA in Monterey in August, 1984, to establish Ferrari judging standards and guidelines that have been adopted worldwide today. I have judged Ferraris at Cavallino, the FCA Nationals, and Pebble Beach for at least 20 years. I have had over 100 salon feature stories published in Cavallino. So, I think I have proven that I know my way around Ferraris built in the 1950s and 1960s. The judging at Cavallino has been without blemish under the leadership of Chris Current. So it is a mystery to me why Canossa/Ferrari would want to exclude some experienced, impartial individual judges from Cavallino merely because they occasionally sell Ferraris. How does that affect their ability to fairly judge Ferraris? Why mess with a successful, proven product? The other troubling change is the sizeable, sudden increase in costs associated with Cavallino. Cavallino is the greatest Ferrari concours in the world thanks to John Barnes, car owners, and judges. Why mess with it?

cc8s, 4re308, Tech Nerd and 26 others like this.
  22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    can anyone list pricing compared to last yr?

23. TFPG96

TFPG96 Rookie

Jul 13, 2016
    UK, Herts
    To bring another perspective to this discussion. I have never sold a car in my life, let alone a Ferrari.
    I am dedicated to parts, memorabilia and the history of Ferrari.
    I held judging at Cavallino as one of the biggest achievements of my life, for which i was extremely grateful. Having spent nearly a decade learning from as many people as possible (a drop in the ocean compared to most). I know many of the judges and was extremely looking forward to spending time with the others. For those who don't know me personally I am on the younger side of the age dynamic, I feel very responsible for making sure the knowledge and experience of the great historians experts that I look up too and learn from @Marcel Massini being one of them, I thank you for your kind words. We all know that there are less and less people in this great hobby of ours and in my eyes to discourage and discriminate against willing individuals is a mistake. I will still be attending the event as it is too late to change.
    The que of people, especially young people to get involved in high level Ferrari concours and be willing to put in the time and effort is very small, along side this the opportunities to learn are becoming fewer and fewer. You also need to have help from the people above you, I am very fortunate that people like Marcel, Keith B, Greg J, Parker H, etc etc. have been willing to spend some time with me over the years helping me on this journey, teaching me.
    If you take away the opportunity and change the environment to make it even more inaccessible, we will all be lost in 50 years.

cc8s, Dogdish, Tech Nerd and 24 others like this.
  24. Luigi.O

Luigi.O Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Luigi Orlandini
    Dear @Marcel Massini

I do appreciate your work and your knowledge about the history of Ferrari, which is by far better than mine.
    I'm a (humble) Ferrari collector, a big enthusiast (I was born and I still live in what we call the "Motor Valley", with Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Pagani, Dallara and Ducati all within 30 miles) but certainly I am not an expert. Definitely, I would not be able to judge a car.

That's why we need independent judges with great expertise and unquestionable reputation, which Cavallino always had, still have and will have in the future.
    Canossa, as an event organizer, runs many competitions (including circuit races, regularity rallies, etc.) and in all cases the judges/officers/referee are -of course- independent. There's never been any doubt about Canossa influencing any decision on the sporting/judging side and there will never be any such doubt.

Our job is to make the event enjoyable and sustainable. The quality of cars and judges is already there and does not need any improvement.

You said that you give us two years maximum... well, I tell you that, without changes, Cavallino would not have survived two years! Not for the immense efforts and passion that John has always put into it, but for the numbers. And numbers never lie. But I don't want to disclose anything publicly, I will call you later if you don't mind.

Someone says that Cavallino is not a lifestyle event. It wasn't, indeed.
    Our aim is exactly to make it ALSO an enjoyable event, financially sustainable, easy to understand also for the non-experts, more known in Europe and in the world, attractive for the younger generations.
    Ask anyone (judge, owner or spectator) who was in Modena in July spending two days with Massimo Bottura or in Abu Dhabi in December if he/she enjoyed the event or not. And if the quality of the car and of the judging was there or not.

I truly believe that our efforts will help spreading the culture and the immense heritage of knowledge created by Cavallino, and keep it for the future.
    If we do not renovate the building, if we do not involve the young enthusiasts, etc. then this beautiful game will end soon, and...
    all those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain (Roy in Blade Runner)

As for the rule of not having car dealers specialized in Ferraris, what would you say of a football match where the coach of one team is also the referee?
    I have no doubts about the integrity of each and every judge, no question, but it's a principle that I think is right.
    I may be wrong of course, but the steering wheel is in my hands and I have the responsibility of setting the way. Please allow me to try and possibly fail.
    The only error we made was to tell it so late to those five gentlemen (due to an hiccup in our internal process), who deserve my most sincere apologies for this and who are still most welcome as our guests (or their expenses will be reimbursed in full if they decide not to travel).

You say that my friend Marcus Willis is an historian. I say that he works at Girardo & Co. Max is a very good friend since decades, is a fantastic man with a fantastic team and an incredible reputation. But he is specialized in selling Ferraris. (I'm using this example as both Marcus and Max are good friends and they can call me anytime to express their thoughts or insult me, without any prejudice to our friendship).
    As for other car dealers that will be judging this year, as far as I know from the information I have received from my team of experts (who are certainly in good faith), they are not selling Ferraris as the primary source of revenues.

Finally, I'm NOT moving the event to Miami, Ferrari Classiche certification is NOT and will NEVER be required, my parent company has NEVER interfered with my decisions (we have a legally binding agreement and I will resign immediately in the unlikely case, so you will know), Ferrari Spa has NO connection with us at all.

To answer the two questions of @rob lay :
    - the "rule" we created is to avoid car dealers that primarily sell Ferraris - if someone sells Mercedes and Bugattis and occasionally Ferraris, then he does not fall into that category
    - NO there will be no one who is not a recognized expert and all judges were selected and invited by Chris Current. To be totally transparent, I only recommended Chris one expert person from the Middle East (to make the panel even more international) but he was not able to join us.

All the best to everyone, I hope that those who are joining us in Palm Beach will have a great time. Peace and love!

Luigi Orlandini

Chairman of Cavallino

Thomas S. likes this.
  25. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    50 years is too kind...try 5 or less.

I've interacted with Jordan. He's a good all around guy, and humble as hell. Wish things were different man, but let them cut their nose off, and you'll see blood on the ground, and a dry cash register in a few years. Buy hey, can you say TORTELLINI! :)