Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by garybobileff, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    $500 a pound for Sheep meat in your frying-pan, that was harvested on a guided/outfitted hunt is not an exaggeration.

carguyjohn350 and rob lay like this.
  2. Luigi.O

Luigi.O Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Luigi Orlandini
    General admission ticket at Cavallino is $280. Pebble Beach Concours 2022 is $425.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

All 5 of you will be very missed at the meeting and on the field. You bring up an excellent point previously missed. 4 of the 5 of you are on the younger side of our group. With our core of judges retiring and very sadly passing, handing this down is a very high priority. Losing 4 of the very demographic we so badly need is a very real blow.

4. TFPG96

TFPG96 Rookie

Jul 13, 2016
    UK, Herts
    I am free Friday night, let's all do dinner! @Rifledriver

5. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    Maybe there’s something to this cook business. After all Vladimir Putin’s grandfather was personal cook for Lenin and Stalin.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #131 Rifledriver, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    I'll buy yours. Call me or find me after the board meeting. I am on the board.

Any chance of being at the party Thursday night?

925-336-7991

7. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hi Rob, Your comment isn't true. I stated that Luigi did offer me a VIP ticket, of which i declined.
    Gary Bobileff

cc8s, Lusso123 and Marcel Massini like this.
  8. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Ill be there Sat and Sun
    im game for din din

TFPG96 likes this.
  9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    What is the cost of admission ticket for the track on Thursday (not entering a car, just spectating)? Just Thursday.
    When I inquired in December 2021 at Canossa, I was told it is more than US$ 4'000 (that's four thousand).

Marcel Massini

Ferraripilot likes this.
  10. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Typically, judging one's own restored car isn't done. The first question that is asked by the Head Judge, Mr. Chris Current when judging assignments are made is " do you have any conflicts with your class?" meaning, a car you restored, or had "hands on" work to help prepare the car for the show, etc. Judging a self restored car is a giant ethical problem, and other judges won't stand for this, therefore, that is why the conflict question is raised, early on.
    Gary Bobileff

cc8s, MD68, jm2 and 5 others like this.
  11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I work Saturday from before dawn until well after everyone is gone. On Sunday I will be eating at home. Sorry.

Oengus likes this.
  12. Luigi.O

Luigi.O Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Luigi Orlandini
    Hi Gary,
    To say the truth the offer was already in the very first email sent by Francesca:
    "we understand the trouble of this last minute advise, so we will be pleased to offer you the VIP entrance ticket for the Saturday Concorso and also the ticket for the Classic and Sports Sunday in Mar-a-Lago"

And we offered the same to all the other 4 gentlemen.

Luigi

13. Luigi.O

Luigi.O Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Luigi Orlandini
    Thursday is not part of the show, it's for the owners only.
    The Concours Club is not a racetrack, it's a members-only club that exceptionally opened for the Cavallino owners. There's no other way to enter either to drive the car or to see the show. No spectators are allowed.

No one at Canossa/Cavallino could have said anything different, such as the fee you are mentioning.

Btw, PBIR is gone forever (it's now a real estate project) and anyway the attendance in the last few years was reduced to a dozen cars or less.
    So the circuit show for the public was not there anymore!

Luigi

14. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I am one of the “dis-invited” judges.

I have been judging at Cavallino for the last six consecutive years; this year would have been my seventh. Cavallino has always been one of the major highlights of my year. I also am a judge for other IAC/PFA events, including the FCA Nationals for many years now as well.

I have always made it a point to never promote my dealership or other sales activities in any way as an IAC/PFA judge. But, being a dealer in classic Ferraris is precisely why I have the experience and knowledge to be a judge, and this has always been recognized. Having said that, I am another of the “younger” group, and I cannot express how much I appreciate the mentorship, guidance, advice, and everything else that I have graciously received from all IAC/PFA judges during the last few years. I am always learning and will continue to do so for the rest of my life.

Now, to say that there are other judges that do not primarily deal in Ferraris, that were not dis-invited, is patently false. I am not going to give examples here, because I do not want the Concours to be affected any more than it already has. However, I am perplexed why a few of us were singled out and others left alone.

Finally, I want to make sure that it is clear that this was solely a Canossa decision, and has absolutely nothing to do with the IAC/PFA, the chief judge, or the other leadership. They were as surprised to find out about this decision a couple of days ago as we were. I am extremely honored to be an IAC/PFA judge, and the standards of judging, knowledge, and integrity in this organization is unparalleled.

I will not attend Cavallino this year, but I hope that all attendees have a wonderful time. If your car is being judged, rest assured that, for this year at least, you still have the most qualified and knowledgeable judging team in the world evaluating your car.

cc8s, Buchpilot, Castlemount and 28 others like this.
  15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

As to your first point, we would have dropped you from the list of judges as we have before with others had you done that. We work closely enough it would not have gone unnoticed.

Michael, is the sales of used Ferraris your primary source of income as we have been told.? You sell a wide spectrum of cars.

And Gary, if you are reading this, same question?

Texas Forever and Thomas S. like this.
  16. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    When I first started my dealership, that was probably true. But for the past few years, it is not true at all. I encourage anyone to look at my for sale listings here on FChat, my website listing of sold cars, my sold cars on Bring a Trailer (where I sell most inventory these days). I sell all manner of European classic and sports cars, and even some that don’t fall into that category.

craterface, GatorFL and JSinNOLA like this.
  17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Following comments will likely ruffle some feathers and isn’t necessarily directly related to the topic event.

I’ve (privately) always been of opinion that for any “Concours judging” (IAC/PFA or otherwise) to be taken seriously, it should be conducted only by individuals with extensive (10+ years ?), hands-on experience with and preferably working on cars they are expected to judge.
    Just owning one shouldn’t be enough and if the given/qualified judge does, he/she should have enough integrity to excuse him-/herself from judging a class featuring identical models.

Additionally, these judges should probably receive not only fully comp’d accommodations at the events, some travel expenses and depending on events budgetary structure, prestige, etc, perhaps even some financial* compensation for their “service”.

Oh, and the judging should be conducted separately (a day before ?) from public showing, maybe even at a different location (a nearby hangar, indoor parking facility, warehouse or something rented/reserved for the occasion ?).
    Would probably be even better and more fair(?) if the owner and/or restorer of the subject vehicle wasn’t made clear at the time of judging.

* I have a friend, a nationally recognized judge for marching band competitions and several years ago, when discussing and sharing my experiences with Antique/Classic/Exotic/Vintage vehicle Concours judging, he was utterly shocked when it became clear judges in this field don’t receive any real compensation for their efforts and experience.
    He told me that in his field, all judges get fully comp’t rooms, meals, moderate travel expenses + $xxxx per each event…

BTW, does Gary (and/or other “disqualified” judges) have regularly published/running ads in the namesake magazine? Just curious.

GatorFL likes this.
  18. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Girardo's (Marcus Willis) sold selection seems quite eclectic too...
    https://girardo.com/sold

sltillim, craterface and GatorFL like this.
  19. Luigi.O

Luigi.O Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Luigi Orlandini

I confirm this was a decision by Canossa, that has nothing to do with the chief judge or the IAC/PFA.
    Maybe we made some errors in this process, to be honest I do not have enough knowledge personally to evaluate on my own. But please believe me, this has been done in good faith and with nothing against any single individual.

20. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Yes, I completely agree, the VIP tic was offered in the original request, of which I never denied this.
    Gary Bobileff

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #146 Rifledriver, Jan 13, 2022

I disagree 100%.. While I do agree the industry is a good source of this type of expertise a significant portion of our most knowledgeable people have never worked in the car industry. While a large number of our most qualified do come from the industry there are a number whose knowledge truly humbles me are not.

cc8s and Nembo1777 like this.
  22. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    “to be honest I do not have enough knowledge personally to evaluate on my own”

Which is precisely why this decision should not have been made at all.

cc8s, trashidelek!, BigTex and 15 others like this.
  23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Just poorly executed with no input from those who do in fact know. .

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Amen

25. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #150 Marcel Massini, Jan 13, 2022
    @Luigi Orlandini:
    Disagree.
    On Tuesday, 7th December 2021, around 11 am (from memory) I called your company near Reggio Emilia. The Italian lady that answered the phone and speaking very well English told me that price of about US$ 4'000. I also explained the reason for my call: there was no information on your website. I am not making this up.
    Why did I want to know the price of admittance for Thursday at the track? Simply because I was thinking of possibly travelling to Cavallino (planning the month of January). After all, I have visited Cavallino 25 times in 30 years of the show. I wanted to make sure that I could justify all the costs involved as I do not want to spend all the money for travel, hotel, rental car etc just for one single day (Saturday) Concours. In the past it has always been easy to attend the races/trials at the racetrack Thursday and Friday and then the show on Saturday at The Breakers. But travelling from Switzerland to Miami/Palm Beach just for a one day show on Saturday (I am not interested in the Mar-a-Lago event on Sunday) is a bit crazy, me thinks (in terms of $$$ involved). Sadly nobody said that it is no longer possible to attend the track on Thursday (as a regula spectator). Clearly lack of information/promotion.

Marcel Massini