Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by garybobileff, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I don’t see it’s been mentioned yet, but it’s interesting to note many of the Modenese shops performing restoration work, at the request of Ferrari Classiche, are in no way affiliated with Ferrari Spa. They all sell their work, cars, and services to outsiders too.

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Have you ever personally met or spoken to all of the five dis-invited judges?
    Why don't you just post here a full and complete list of all the now selected judges? Full transparency it is called.

Marcel Massini

Terra, 308 milano, Nembo1777 and 2 others like this.
  3. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I used to run ad's in Cavallino many years ago, but do not now, as the magazine circulation is not adequate, as rated by ABC, for my advertising needs. I, and others were un invited because they state my primary business is selling used Ferrari's. Today, I have 34 Ferrari's and Lamborghini's in the shop for service and 11 of these are restoration cars. I sell typically 2 cars a month. I currently have 4 cars for sale on my web site. So, by whose standards and ratings makes me a threat to Canossa's organization or Ferrari SPA by selling possibly 1+ Ferrari a month? It's a mystery.
    Gary Bobileff

4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This is all well and true, but marching band competitions aren't held at the Breakers! These folks are staying at Holiday Inns.

Jack-the-lad and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Feel free to call me but PLEASE be so kind and don't do it in the middle of the night like you did yesterday Wednesday, close to 11 PM Swiss time.
    I really prefer receiving calls during normal business hours.
    FYI the time difference between Palm Beach/FL and Zurich/Switzerland is currently six hours.
    Like you I (used to) travel a lot all over the planet and one easily forgets the various time zones.
    Thank you very much for understanding.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and Terra like this.
  6. Luigi.O

Luigi.O Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Luigi Orlandini
    If you asked the receptionist maybe she got confused with the owners fee (which is listed on the website: $5,400 - including all the four days).

It is clearly stated on both the website and the brochure that no spectators are allowed.
    Please note that only Patrons pass holders will be admitted
    Brochure:
    This event is exclusively reserved for entrants to the Cavallino Concorso and The Concours Club members

I tried to call you also earlier today (6pm swiss time). Will try again tomorrow if you want to listen to my point of view (and not the fake and detrimental comments around)

This is my first interaction with FerrariChat.
    I am finding it useful and learning a lot, but I will have to stop reading it as I have a big event coming up and lot of work to do.

I wish you all the best and hope to meet you soon in Switzerland or in Italy!

7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    There are at least two big errors you made, not one as you wrote.
    1) Making a completely unnecessary judges change. To say it was poorly thought out would be a gross understatement.
    2) The manner in which it was done as well as the rank amateur last minute timing. Very poorly executed.

Based on those two blindingly obvious "errors," and other noticeable changes...I have a sad feeling that many more "errors" have been made. Probably more "hiccups" in your "internal process."
    You may know this, but it has to be said... There is a big difference between making improvements and making clearly obvious easily avoidable mistakes.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that was your later update, I was talking about your first post.

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #159 Marcel Massini, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    @Luigi Orlandini:
    I disagree.
    Re Cavallino Modena Concours July 2021:
    Did you actually talk to the entrants after the event? I mean, a couple days later? Did you get feedback?
    I bet you did not.
    I know of at least two entrants that were extremely unhappy with your event, both men had spent a ton of money to bring sensational cars from outside Italy to Modena. I got a lot of negative feedback. And I am only mentioning here the concours, not the other activities like award dinner etc.
    I was Chief Judge Class 1 (six competition Ferraris) and Class 5 (three Ferrari supercars) and was there the entire weekend. I have been a Ferrari concours judge for more than 20 years, both in USA and in Europe. Yes, it was a very hot and humid day in Modena. Everybody was sweating like hell and drinking tons of fresh Italian mineral water. However: I was shocked by the lack of organisation, the lack of preparation of some judges, the lack of information prior to the event, the lack of discipline during the Concours, the overall lack of knowledge of several judges, some judging paperwork was completely missing and never showed up the entire day, despite my requests. There were two Ferraris that were not even judged because the inexperienced judges in that class took way too much time for the first and second car in one of the larger groups so that by the end of the time some cars hadn't even be judged yet, while the owners had waited all day for the arrival of the judges (!). It was all rather unprofessional. Certainly not to IAC/PFA standards.
    The two gentlemen told me (a couple days later) that they will never come back with a Ferrari to any Cavallino Concours in Europe. And no, they did NOT enjoy the event.
    May I suggest to obtain feedback from entrants? One can always learn.

There was a number of other things that didn't go well in Modena and Abu Dhabi but maybe fchat is the wrong place to discuss here.

Marcel Massini

jm2, EnzoItaly, The Singer and 3 others like this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay

11. Luigi.O

Luigi.O Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Luigi Orlandini
    We always ask for feedback and save everything in our records, to learn and capitalize the experience.

It's curious how you can pretend to know about an event that you have not attended. I don't think it's fair to judge something based on third-parties opinions (and a small minority according to what you say).

Anyway, I agree this is the wrong place to discuss this.

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    So, this basically means that simple visitors and spectators are singled out, no longer allowed at any of the other activities except the one day Concours on Saturday?
    If that is correct, then it makes really no sense anymore to travel for just one day to Palm Beach.

Marcel Massini

Castlemount, EnzoItaly, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #163 Marcel Massini, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    I DID attend.
    And NO-third party opinion here! Not at all. Personal talks between me and the entrant (a few days after the event). At the Modena Concours the total of judged Ferraris was 25. Two owners personally complained to me afterwards (told me how they felt). Thats ~10%, yes, a minority (for you). But these men spent several ten thousand $ to ship Ferraris to Modena. And now are very very upset. Both very significant collectors with decades of concours experience.

Marcel Massini

EnzoItaly likes this.
  14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes it is out of date by a few years. I'll email a current one if desired but it is about to change again so I'll wait.

15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    The whole thing is a mystery. No clue why Cavallino would start by kicking people in the teeth. Strange approach for sure. I have to wonder if Mr Serling is guiding discourse from afar.

Oh well, the forum at tortellinichat has never been this active.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    How about an updated name for this venue? Like..
    “Cavallino Classic Concorso di Skunkworks”? Or possibly, “Greasing of the palms at the palms”

17. alnimmob55

alnimmob55 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale, Fla
    Full Name:
    Albert Niels
    It is a scandal. They are shooting themselves in the foot. Perhaps it is time to organize a parallel event where true enthusiasts can show their cars without falling in the claws of these greedy people. As a 4 time Platinum winner and twice Class preservation award winner, i am very disappointed. I could feel last year it was not the same friendly attitude with Canossa. They jack up the ticket prices and make it prohibitive for the general public who come with their children . It will results in a closer event with much less true enthusiasts and the event will eventually lose its general appeal so we need to organize a newer event available to the general public at large with reasonable prices. The whole idea is to have a fun day, not an over expensive affair.

is

18. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

7 pages in 24 hours. Is that some kind of record??

19. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    has to be....not even 24hours

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    A record of anger among Ferraristi, absolutely, but the cause of the anger still has no clue...

EnzoItaly and George Vosburgh like this.
  21. alnimmob55

alnimmob55 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale, Fla
    Full Name:
    Albert Niels
    Good Luck Mr. Orlandini and welcome to the US. However I am sceptical of your typical politicized comments. Time will tell but I will not show my superb car in your event in the near future.

22. alnimmob55

alnimmob55 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale, Fla
    Full Name:
    Albert Niels
    Why is it wrong to be a judge if you deal in Classic Ferraris??? That makes one a great expert. The only reason I can think of is because they want to corner the market. I have been showing my car off and on since 2011, have won each time and i have the utmost respect for the judges at Cavallino. They are true enthusiast and their expertise is second to none, wheter they are involved with Ferraris in their business or not. Canossa is doing a great disservice to Ferraris and to Ferraris owners.

23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    512 BB #49893 is gorgeous. I remember her well. Thanks for showing her.

Marcel Massini

Roadney, Thomas S., of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It certainly was. Gary and I had the privilege of being 2 of his judges last year. He had a pretty phenomenal score.

25. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Neither are all Concours events, but the gist of my comment was my friend being shocked that in the realm of affluent, high end(?) collector/exotic vehicle world and events held at top notch locations/resorts, etc, the appreciation of judging or judges appears, in his view, regarded far below those in marching band competitions.

Thanks for expanding Gary.

I just thought perhaps the given (mysterious ?) “reason” for your dismissal was an excuse to avoid (hide?) making it clear that since you (and perhaps other dismissed judges) aren’t financially supportive enough entities of the magazine…
    …, but who knows.
    Wouldn’t be a first time in the world of business decisions.

Terra likes this.