Michael Masi gets fired/replaced? | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Michael Masi gets fired/replaced?

Discussion in 'F1' started by surfwolf, Dec 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Race director Masi overruled the rulebook because of unforeseen circumstances, but he was not expected to take the wrong decisions !

It's a succession of wrong decisions taken at Abu Dhabi that led to the controversy.

In the case of Spa (I know I always come back to that), he had plenty of time to find a solution, instead, he delivered a ridiculous pantomime!

2. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    If the issue is that Masi went rogue (as some, including you, continue to claim) and "broke the rules" ... why would the rules need to be changed?

3. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    So he won't be allowed to break the rules again?

surfwolf likes this.
  4. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #379 werewolf, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2022
    {P&R removed}

Please think carefully now ... I would much prefer a thoughtful response, rather than a quick response.

5. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    #380 ktu, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2022
    This aint got nothing to do with the constitition. We talking about racing bruh, not the government. Why do you keep trying to escape from discussing Masi and the last lap?

6. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I pretty much knew that the analogy would fly right over your head.

fil and jpalmito like this.
  7. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Yeah it went way above my head, it went to space, it had nothing to do with what we talking about.

8. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    If Masi gets terminated, it will be for the same reason as a high-ranking figure who makes an off-color remark on social media or a professional athlete who is caught abusing a spouse: to avoid damaging the brand (versus the organization making a moral ruling of right or wrong). If there weren't article after article daily discussing Abu Dhabi or drivers like Johansson lambasting the event or current drivers saying 'wtf is going on?', Masi would still have his job.

They are trying to limit the damage. Merc will be happy if he's gone, of course, simply because of the shot Masi took against Toto ("it's called racing") but I don't think Merc alone could sway anything to happen. It's all of the public venting that F1 needs to deal with.

It should have never happened. If the goal was to end the race in green light conditions, red flag it immediately. The ham-handed way it was handled created the debacle that over-shadows a great season and WDC battle.

9. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Found this online, perhaps has some relevance. Apparently it's a quote from Andrew Shovlin (engineer at Mercedes since 2010), circa 2012, shortly after the option was introduced to allow lapped cars to unlap:

"This will have two important effects, firstly the cars directly behind the safety will line up in actual race order so when the race restarts they are in a position to overtake each other. Secondly, the majority of the field will be on the same racing lap, bunched together and with some of the cars on new tyres. Together with the DRS, this should create exciting racing in the midfield where cars on older tyres will be ahead of cars that have stopped for fresh rubber who are trying to battle their way up the order for points.

Mercedes track engineer, proudly emphasizing the "exciting racing" that results from unlapping, allowing cars "on fresh rubber" to "battle their way up the order for points" ...

How about that :)

(sorry if already posted)

fil and ingegnere like this.
  10. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Context is he's speaking of allowing lapped cars to unlap and fall into proper order and compete. That is part of the issue...some cars were allowed to do what is listed above while others were not.

kraftwerk, surfwolf and ktu like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I now find it incredible that some folks find nothing wrong about Masi's actions at Abu Dhabi.

It looks like tribal mentality puts blinkers on some people who refuse to see any wrongdoing as long as the outcome satisfy their agenda.

I know it happens everywhere, but this is supposed to be a sport.

gsfent, kraftwerk, surfwolf and 2 others like this.
  12. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Masi did EXACLTY what Shovlin advocated: note that Shovlin says that the "majority" of the field will be on the same lap. EXACTLY what Masi achieved.

Nowhere does Shovlin say that ALL cars MUST unlap, nowhere does Shovlin say that ALL cars MUST be on the same lap.

Of course, Masi also achieved Shovlin's goals of: "creating exciting racing", and allowing cars on "fresh rubber" to battle cars on "older tyres". NONE of these goals would have been achieved, if Masi acted differently.

In short, Masi did EXACTLY what Shovlin (speaking for Mercedes) was advocating, back in 2012.

13. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

This is F1, not P&R. You may not use political tangents as analogies to try to make your point about racing.

1 day ban.

All the best,
    Andrew.

surfwolf likes this.
  14. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I guess that solves it then...

ktu likes this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Great find

I found the source and guess what, Mercedes removed it from their website!

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/mercedes-amg-f1/2012-formula-one-regulation-changes-part-two/

jcurry and fil like this.
  16. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I find it strange that you want Masi to follow Shovlin's suggestions, but you don't wan't Masi to follow Masi's suggestions.
    https://www.sportbible.com/formula-1/michael-masis-previous-last-lap-safety-car-decision-was-different-20211214

17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    If they were all allowed to do so the race would have been over under the safety car so whats the point ??

18. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    If he wanted to finish under green, red flag and restart. That would have been the solution that avoided all of this toxic fallout after the fact.

tuttebenne, gsfent and surfwolf like this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The point is: that's the rule !!!

Some races finish under yellow and safety car.

20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    You're frickin hilarious

stavura, Bas, jpalmito and 1 other person like this.
  21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    screw the fallout you don't RACE for political fallout

stavura, Bas, jpalmito and 2 others like this.
  22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    2021 season is over quit the complaining

newark_308, stavura, Bas and 3 others like this.
  23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The “fallout” is only a reality for Merc, HAM and their fans. Nobody else cares.

jpalmito, F2003-GA and crinoid like this.
  24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Reality check. Every team agreed to end the race under green flag conditions.

stavura, Bas, jpalmito and 2 others like this.
  25. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    You’re not reading the tons of articles not written by Merc fans, I would assume….

kraftwerk and ktu like this.