C8 Z06 | Page 33 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    thyere not going to keep the weight down. It’s a road car and a bloater. 1000 hp will wet pants accelerate, there’s no reason to spend untold fortunes to loose limited weight on the zr1.
    It’s not as though the sf90 was light and no car with 3 power plants and a battery be light esp when the y delaying platform is already heavy, why even try. If they have lots of cf it will be for marketing and markup, and that may happen, but relative weight loss from those options will be minimal.

the way to loose weight on a c8 platform is in the structure, doodads and insulation. That begets a car with realtively unrefined nvh hard seats and loosing weight is really expensive.

Do you think old boomers want that? What they want is lots and lots of hp with comfort in spades, easy to drive and “race car looks” that’s the zr1 zora c8 and even e Rey. C8 is a luxury refined personal coupe that looks exotic and is fast on road. They nailed it with this car in terms demographics and resultant sales.

the zr1 zora playbook is the same as the c7 playbook just add lots and lots of relatively cheap hp and call it a day. No one is going to care or notice the weight in these variants.

the z06 is the one that should be “light” and it’s lardy. Possibly we might get an actual z06 one day if sales slow and something is needed. By that I mean more than a motor and some suspension. Maybe they can loose 300lbs for a price, so a 3500lbs And that’s not going to appeal even to most here. But love to see it.

let’s face it the c8 platform is never going to be anything approaching “light” it’s virtues lay elsewhere.

but yeah 30k of cf options will look cool to save 30 lbs.

JM280z, 95spiderman, k wright and 2 others like this.
  2. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    If in NOVA, I would consider Parks in Richmond if you are that far out. They aren’t a huge dealer, but I got a C8 from them in late March, 2019 (their first C8, just before shutdown, so after the bigger dealerships, but not by much~ one of the first 3-4K cars built).
    I’m #1 for a Z06; they definitely have a #2. Not sure if they have any others?
    Edit: at MSRP, in writing with a deposit taken

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Interesting. I can give them a ring. Couldn't hurt. Thanks

sainthoo likes this.
  4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sold. Asking Mike about getting on his Zora list. 10 years? This is me exactly, want exotic looks and performance with Garfield comfort.

VAF84, thecarreaper and TheMayor like this.
  5. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Have a C8. On a ZR1 list 1st place.

6. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  7. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    I don't know if it's legitimate but the numbers are off so it renders it moot anyway.

8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  9. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wikdstrate, TheMayor and k wright like this.
  10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Latest Chevy video release. Sounds EXACTLY like a 458.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  11. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds similar in some clips but a bit different in others. It sounds a bit higher pitched than a stock 458 in some of those shots.

F2003-GA likes this.
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    if these numbers are correct then in all likelihood all the z06s that are real orders should be filled in a year.

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Adding a factory race car for privateers is pretty aggressive for GM.

Thecadster and F2003-GA like this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    It’s going to be fascinating to see how this works. The Z06 buyer is going to be an eclectic group of people. Naturally, there will be a ton of the typical older buyer (70+) who have owned countless Corvettes over the years, many of whom will be stretching budgets to get their dream car. Almost all of those customers have lost a decent amount money over the years on Corvettes. They will be seeking out cars for MSRP. Sadly, many will land far enough down on lists that they will never see a car. They will be competing with two new groups of buyers: 1). Dealers / professional flippers, 2). Ferrari / Lamborghini / McLaren / Porsche buyers that look at the Z06 for MSRP plus $100,000 as a bargain. On top of all that, you now have Chevy saying not to mark the car up or you won’t get cars.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2022/01/18/shots-fired-gm-north-american-president-steve-carlisle-warns-dealers-against-market-adjustments-on-z06/

Shots Fired! GM North American President Steve Carlisle Warns Dealers Against Market Adjustments on Z06
    Jan 18, 2022

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The C8 Corvette Stingray is in its third model year and demand is showing no sign of dropping off. Now with the highly-anticipated 2023 Corvette Z06 right around the corner, we’ve become very concerned about how some Chevrolet dealers are looking at the new American sports car as a cash cow with plans to generate as much profit as possible above and beyond the Corvette’s Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Pricing (MSRP) at the expense of Corvette buyers.

As more and more stories about dealer malfeasance come to light that includes everything from demanding thousands of dollars in Market Adjustments after the car arrives to intentionally screwing up orders so that customers walk away from the deal, it’s become apparent to GM that it really needs to start policing their dealers better when it comes to selling these in-demand vehicles. And it is not just the C8 Corvette that dealers are targeting for huge price increases. We also have the upcoming Silverado EV, the GMC Hummer EV, and the Cadillac LYRIC which have also garnered much interest from consumers.

We’ve already heard about Chevy’s new plan for allocations and it’s still something we’ll have to wait to see if by moving to an Average Daily Supply model will nudge dealers to stay with pricing the cars at MSRP. Not waiting around is GM’s North American President Steve Carlisle who fired this recent warning shot by telling dealers straight up that they risk having their vehicle allocation redirected to other dealers who aren’t being bad actors in the new car sales process.

Dear GM Dealership Team,

We are all very excited about recent GM news and product launches including the Chevrolet Corvette Z06, Chevrolet Silverado EV, GMC HUMMER EVs, GMC Sierra EV, and Cadillac LYRIQ. At the same time, we have both been working hard to meet customer demand in a time of constrained supply of inventory due to the global industry-wide semi-conductor shortage.

Unfortunately, it has come to our attention that in connection with some of these announcements and launches, a small number of Dealers have engaged in practices that do not support a positive sales experience for our customers. This puts our collective interests at risk and generates negative press that reflect poorly on GM’s brands and your dealerships. Specifically, it has come to our attention that some dealerships have attempted to demand money above and beyond the reservation amounts set in GM’s program rules and/or have requested customers to pay sums far in excess of MSRP in order to purchase or lease a vehicle.

First, I want to remind you that GM dealers are obligated to ethically and lawfully sell GM Products, as stated in Article 5 of the Dealer Sales and Service Agreement:

“Dealer agrees to effectively, ethically and lawfully sell and promote the purchase, lease and use of Products by consumers…”

“Dealer agrees to advertise and conduct promotional activities that are lawful and enhance the reputation of Dealer, General Motors and its Products. Dealer will not advertise or conduct promotional activities in a misleading or unethical manner, or that is harmful to the reputation of Dealer, General Motors, or its Products.”

Providing customers misinformation about additional sums being necessary for a customer to keep a reservation, is just one example of a tactic that reflects poorly on all of us.

Secondly, we have been advised that brokers are promoting new GM vehicle allocation. While the majority of GM Dealers do not support such behavior, a small number of Dealers still continue to work with brokers despite the following reminders that this is a direct breach of the GM DSSA: Bulletin #20-06 “Transactional Integrity and GM Export Policy” dated July 1, 2020, and Bulletin #21-17 “Sale for Resale or Export” dated November 22, 2021. As stated in Article 5 of the Dealer Sales and Service Agreement: “Dealer agrees that it will not sell new Motor Vehicles for resale” and “Dealer is not authorized . . . to . . . sell Motor Vehicles to persons or parties (or their agents) engaged in the business of reselling, brokering (including but not limited to buying services) or wholesaling of Motor Vehicles.”

GM will be forced to take action if it learns of any unethical sales practices or brokering activities that undermine the integrity that customers expect from the Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac brands. For the small minority of bad actors that are engaging in the conduct identified above, this letter serves as notice that GM reserves the right to redirect your vehicle allocation or take other recourse prescribed by the Dealer Sales and Service Agreement.

If you have any questions or comments, please reach out to your Zone Manager.

Regards,

Steve Carlisle
    President GM North America

For the record, this was a way better response to dealers than what we saw from Chevrolet’s Director of Car and Crossover Marketing, Tony Johnson who told us GM wasn’t too concerned about Corvette dealer markups a year ago. GM should rightly be concerned especially when the C8 Corvette is bringing in many customers who are buying from Chevrolet/GM for the first time ever. You only get one shot to make a good first impression!

Source:
    General Motors via Corvette Action Center

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I sure hope dealers abide by this. I fear most won't. What would put actual teeth into it is if they took a dealership away from the most heinous offenders. Similar to Ferrari take Wynn's dealership away for selling his LAF.

17. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    As discussed previously, small dealers will absolutely charge a market adjustment. The threat of GM withholding allocations from a small dealer will not convince them from charging a huge premium.

A few of the nation's top, large volume dealers will sell at MSRP because they will receive hundreds of allocations. GM withholding allocations from the major dealerships WILL affect their bottom line.

If a small dealer gets 3 ZO6's and can charge MSRP plus $75K they are going to do it. Why would they limit their profit to their usual $2-5K per vehicle just so GM "might" feed them a couple more allocations for moving the cars quickly at MSRP. The math simply doesn't work.

The argument that getting a few more ZO6's in the showroom helps attract potential buyers for other GM vehicles makes no sense either. A ZO6 buyer is not going to just pick up a Chevy Equinox or a 1500 Silverado while looking at a ZO6 in the showroom. :eek:

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Complete BS ass-covering by shifting "blame" from outraged customers away from GM to do dealers. "See! We are doing something about it!" Dealers, particularly small ones, are gonna do what they are gonna do. NOW --- if GM said they were going to cut back on their Trucks and SUV's -- that might get some attention. Cut a Corvette sale from 5 to 4? Big deal. And as soon as the C8 sales sag you'll see that tossed out the window.

Dealers aren't stupid. In the first week the cars are sold you'll see some up for over $50-100K on websites for resale. They want a piece of it and will get it.

IMO, I have no problem with the free market. Let the dealers mark them up and see if anyone buys. BUT, I view this as short sighted. Dealers looking for long term sales and customer relations will resist it, end up with MORE quota from GM because they sell more cars and more customers coming to them in the future. They will make more sales in the long run.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, the LAF story is a long one but you got it mixed up. Wynn kicked out Ferrari, not the other way around. Yes, it started with Ferrari being upset with the LAF but it began earlier with the car itself.

In the end the dealership had to be sold and moved out in 30 days.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Interestingly, I was standing at one of the oldest Chevrolet dealers in Houston, downtown.

Yesterday a transporter pulls around the corner, on to Washington Avenue, with nothing but Corvettes!
    I guess it was seven??

I asked my salesman (manager of Fleet Sales) "How many are they dropping here?"
    "Oh man, we have ONE guy, that handles the Corvette List!.....and some of those buyers specify NOT to even peel the shipping plastic off, without them watching!"

Then he went back to selling me a C7 Grand Sport, to go along with "Fluffy's new Cadillac"
    Being an old Pontiac TransAm guy I'm sure I would prefer the "over the limits" break away of a C7, over the C8.

I think I offered him a Ducati in the mix, too...somewhere.

jm2 likes this.
  21. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    No. The little dealers (getting 1-3 Z06's for the year) won't get their FIRST car until well into the model year. The main "over MSRP" business will be flippers (not dealers) initially as the BIG dealers, selling at MSRP will get the early cars...and it will be THOSE customers (who paid MSRP) feeding the frenzy. Just like the Stingray.

boxerman and Thecadster like this.
  22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #822 boxerman, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Between significant production and the economy flattening the cars will be at msrp after a little wait ie by model year 24..
    im seeing boat dealers starting to advertise gain and even offering discounts, tells ya something about demand in 22.
    When the 82 firebird came out dealers were also getting over list, then it ended.
    2 years from now there will be waiting lists for the zr1 and the z06 will just be an upsacle vette with plenty about.
    If ya gotta have it in year 1, and get it now then you're gonna pay.
    Unlike a Gt3 or Gt4 p car Gm will make enough of these very year to satisfy demand.
    Theres a number of reasons Gm sells so many vetts, and satisfying customers is one of them.
    I wouldn't even attempt to order a Gt4 or gt3, far easier just to get a z06 which seems like a great car in its own right. You also know that by 24 or 25My enough of these cars will have been thrashed on track that Gm will have had time to iron out some bugs.

VAF84 and Thecadster like this.
  23. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorta like a boat- - Lexus has just started advertising $1K and $1.5K incentives on TV for the ES 350. I did a quick check and noted that December 2021 ES sales were the lowest since 2011, despite the annual "December to Remember" promotion.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah it interesting because the story on low car sales in Dec is being played as that its because of low inventory. But you know if they're adverting again they're looking for customers. Im sure there are items still in low stock, and c8 vette is a wait, but a year from now, I can see deals abounding again.

Took a hike with a friend who was doing real well for years, he was buying guns watches Atv's etc. he told me me its was easy to do cause the market went up and he always felt a little richer. Now he said he's buying nothing, not cause his job earns less, but because hes feeling like the free money is over and hes a little less rich. We discussed that the past few years have been so good that even a 10% correction is still way ahead of the game and he said yes, but psychological its different now.

I'm good with it cause looking to buy a cool bay boat and current prices have been ridiculous, I can see paying 20% more than pre covid not 50%.

VAF84 likes this.
  25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #825 boxerman, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    To me the c8 z06 is the last in a long line of super cars and arguably the best of the breed. whiuch started with the daytona/miura, moving though countach Tr aventador etc. Some of the smaller cars like the 458 and hurrican also crossed over into this superar territoy due to performance and added the componet of being lithe, Id even put the Gt3 in this group due to spec and cpbility although by design/asthetics its not an exotic.there. The trend was these supercars became more capable, more useable faster while retaining NA power and all the outrageousness that made a supercar so appealing. the Tr was probaly the forst modern one bacause it was comfortable and capable enough to use.

Now with the exception of the Gt3 theyre pretty much all gone(hurricaine is nearly gone). So here comes the z06 in many ways the best of the breed, or a syntesis of the good parts of those that came before. A little outre like an aventador, exoiticness which they all had (excpt the gt3), a motor thats smack dab in the epicenter of those that were the best, and to a certain degree it can play on track which is where fast cars go today to excercise, plus it works on road in a manner most of the others do not. Maybe a little less capabvle than a Gt3 due to weight, but far more worthwhile on road and its an exotic. In other words if an aventador mated with a Gt3 you'd get the z06, a car maybe a bit less cpable on track than a Gt3, and at the same time exotic like an aventador but with the practical usability 911s have..

The swansong of Ice super cars brings us arguably the best of the breed in a democratized affordable usable reliable package, whats not to like.

one thing that holds exotics back, theyre so expesive to buy and run that most are showpirces. The vette is such that they will be used on road an track without worry as to values, and the running costs on track while steep will be affordable for those with less that 50mil. Try run a Mclatren or F8 on track, theres a reason why even those with the means but respect money dont do it regularly.

the more i see about this car(z06), the more excited I am for mine, and I dont mind waiting till they work down the list to me, by then the bugs will be sorted and it will be a known entity for track use. Any other fun car that excites me now is probably a older car a new build component car (cobra, stratos etc) or race car. For comfy road transport with whack, electrics are the way to go, Big Bently turbo or mercedes V12 refinement and power, for 100-150k makes that lucid or elctric mercedes look great. If the tesla roadster comes out, what new ferrari is going to compare for road. the worlds a changing and the z06 is a zenith.