new MacBook - moving files from old MacBook? | FerrariChat

new MacBook - moving files from old MacBook?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rob lay, Jan 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just bought a new MacBook that will come in February or March.

My current MacBook has been so reliable and still performs great I don't have to get one, but 8 years old feeling like I'm pushing it. My high end PC laptops like Alienware would only last 2 years.

Anyway, current software Catalina.

I do run Time Machine, is that the best way to transfer my files over?

Thanks!

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Reboot won't fix this, that's all I ever said when working IT Help Desk in College.

JJ likes this.
  3. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    You came back too quickly! There's a link now that will walk you through it.

rob lay likes this.
  4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

All I can say is this: The M1 chip will literally blow you away. The speed is astounding.

Caeruleus11 and rob lay like this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm looking forward to it. I just can't believe #1 I was stuck on PC Laptops for 15 years requiring a new one every 2 years when they broke or malware beyond repair. #2 My current MacBook has lasted almost 8 years and been PERFECT. I still do heavy video editing etc without problems. Here are its stats...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Make an appointment at the Genius Bar and let them do it. Or go to Experimax as an alternative. Then write a trip report for ManLife!:eek:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    This is what I suggest

Get a USB-C samsung T5 or T7 (I would do at least 2x the size of your storage)

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Portable-SSD-1TB-MU-PC1T0T/dp/B0874XN4D8

Then you plug that into the old laptop, tell it to use it as a time machine back up

Then you wait a few hours for time machine to back up to the Samsung

Then you plug in the samsung on the new apple, and you boot up the new apple, it'll ask if you wanna restore from a time machine, you say yes and it'll detect it and it's like magic

I did this a few weeks ago upgrading from a 2018 mbp to a 2020 mba

When you get more free time, set this up on a server in your house
    https://hub.docker.com/r/mbentley/timemachine

Then you will have time machine over wifi like how the old air port capsules used to work

tomc and C50 like this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have TimeMachine, but I'm liking the looks of what JJ suggested with Migration Assistant. It appears a little more clean and automated. Why didn't you go the Migration Assistant route?

9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    It's roughly the same thing

You're making a time machine back up to an ssd, and then using migration assistant to restore from the time machine back up

If you already have time machine, leverage it

If you don't, then you use the assistant to do a machine to machine transfer

My advice is to always have time machine.... especially since macs have encrypted drives and you can't take storage out of a laptop to put into another to do recovery easily

rob lay likes this.
  10. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Another option that I've used with all my Mac/iMacs is that if you purchase the extended warranty (I always do for peace of mind) which I think is $300 for 3 years, they will have their gurus in the back transfer/migrate over all your data including bookmarks used for Safari or whatever search engine you use. This way, when I turn it on, its identical to the old computer. Plus if you have an affiliation to any school from your workplace or kids etc.., just mention it and you get an educational discount on both the Mac and warranty which is probably like $100-200 which pays for itself.

rob lay likes this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Here's the bad boy I'm getting.

16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray
    With the following configuration:
    Apple M1 Max chip with 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
    64GB unified memory
    2TB SSD storage
    16-inch Liquid Retina XDR display

12. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I have exactly the same machine coming, except mine is silver. Same exact specs though. Ordered it late Dec, should be here in Feb. Can't wait!

rob lay likes this.
  13. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    The new M1 chip is stupid fast, I am soooo glad I didn't drop $19k on the new Mac Pro (tower), we are still using the "trash cans" and one Imac Pro for video editing. Can't wait until they update the Mac Pro to the M1.

From what I have read, the extra memory may not help every application, and same for the cores. Learned that expensive lesson with my earlier macs.

I gave one of the new laptops to my nephew for Christmas, ordered on November 19, and it shipped on December 1st,
    configured as:

Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
    32GB unified memory
    2TB SSD storage
    96W USB-C Power Adapter
    14-inch Liquid Retina XDR display
    Three Thunderbolt 4 ports, HDMI port, SDXC card slot, MagSafe 3 port
    Backlit Magic Keyboard with Touch ID - US English
    Pro Apps Bundle for Education

He uses a large curved monitor to do most of his photo and video work, so the 14" works well for him.

He likes it, says everything is just about instant, and importing raw images from a memory card is 100 times faster. He hasn't done video yet.

As to your question, time machine worked well, just did it for my daughter.

rob lay likes this.
  14. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Crazy how far ahead Apple's M1 is over everything else.

If you aren't on Final Cut Pro, might give it a look. It is made for the M1 cpu/gpu and it is stunningly fast....you will say WTF the first time you work some video through it. MBP is worth buying for this program alone.

I gave up on Adobe's products a while ago. I use https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/ in place of Photoshop and it is about 95% there. $55, free trial. They have been working themselves to the bone updating this program. No subscription BS, no spamming your system with 9000000000 programs/services (like ADOBE), one time purchase gets you all the updates you want. This is also made for M1 CPU.

Apple's x86 emulation just plain works. First time I launched an x86 app, MacOS asked me to install Rosetta, and that was that. I haven't had a single problem with it at all. Completely invisible.

https://www.tunabellysoftware.com/tgpro/ for monitoring the 90000 temp sensors Mac comes with. Not really needed because it runs cool and quiet always, but something to look at.

15. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Agreed. Even on x86 applications, the M1 speed is nothing short of amazing. At Ricambi America, our inventory/ERP application is PL/pgSQL, with something called "Qt" (a C++ toolkit). Zero issues in Rosetta. We have it running on 5 different Mac's -- 2 of which are M1 and the others older silicon.

After 20+ years on Mac's now, I cannot envision a scenario where I'd buy an Intel/MS product.

rob lay likes this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    thanks for heads up Adobe, I’ve been with them 20+ years, but now might consider switch.

17. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    The Adobe alternative intrigues me, I really hate paying subscription fees, so on several machines im still running ver 6, which i paid something like $1,800 for (creative suite). Last version before subscription model.

We do use plugins, lut packages and some other add ons. Also, if i have a problem i can google it and find a dozen answers. Is there third party support for affinity? Does it mimic the photoshop interface so ps tutorials would apply?

main question, is it “just like photoshop”? I don't want to have to relearn a program, especially when i have photoshop running on my existing systems.

Sorry for the lengthy questions

18. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    If you have an x86 app that is 32 bit, don't expect it to run. None of the old ms office software would install in the new OS that the M1 runs on.

Friend runs some trade software that stopped running when he upgraded to the M1, so now he has a windows laptop he remotes into.

19. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

32bit? That's basically like a Colombo V12 its so darn old!

:)

20. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It is different than PS, but I didn't have any problem transitioning to it.

I still use CS6 on my Windows box alongside Affinity, although for very few things these days. CS6 doesn't spam my system with junk services, nor does it have the broken CC launcher.

Primary reason for dumping Adobe was their perpetually broken CC launcher crap, spamming garbage all over my system, and lack of multicore support. For instance, I batch compress and resize photographs all the time. My test folder of pics took Adobe 2020 1 minute 41 seconds to complete. Affinity does it in 12 seconds on my Ryzen 5900x.

3rd party support for Affinity is not anywhere near the level of PS.

There's no reason to drop CS6, but also grabbing Affinity is a no brainer. Free trial, $55 one time buy for all the computers in your house. Well, $55 for all the Mac computers and $55 for all the Windows computers.

Innovativethinker likes this.
  21. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You can get the pro apps bundle for $200. Includes Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Motion, Compressor, Mainstage.

https://www.apple.com/us-edu/shop/product/BMGE2Z/A/pro-apps-bundle-for-education

They don't verify anything. I used my regular Gmail address and they approved it in 4-5 days.

FCP on M1 is wildly performant.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000