Original Daytona keys? | FerrariChat

Original Daytona keys?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by murphyrg1, Jan 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. murphyrg1

murphyrg1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2012
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rory Murphy
    The door and ignition keys that came with our '69 Daytona are both Silca keys. Even though they look old enough to be original, I have my doubts as the ignition key is only stamped with an "F" and I thought that most everything from that vintage came with Neiman keys, no? And since the original Neiman keys have become so hard to find and pricey, are the cheap Cerrebi and JMA blanks now the only alternative?

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The stainless steel Neiman key is correct. If you go on eBay, you can find modern day replica Neiman keys (They look almost identical) that are made out of brass. If you have an original Steel key, most locksmiths will not cut it.

The door keys were made by SAFE/Torino. One name is stamped on one side, the other on the other side. There are several different versions, the profile is what dictates it. There is a two, four, six, and eight.

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
  4. murphyrg1

murphyrg1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2012
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rory Murphy
    Thanks, Shawn. I had seen a photo with a SAFE door key, but I couldn't quite make out the whole logo. I get the reluctance to cut steel keys. I had a key cutter at my BMW/Ducati shop and I had to stop cutting the older Ducati keys which were also steel Neiman keys as they tore through the cutting wheel in short order.

Regards,
    Rory

5. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi Steve,

Do you know a place to get the Safe Torino blanks?

Thanks
    Christopher

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I prefer “cutting” any needed blanks/replacements and re-pinning/-tumbling lock cylinders myself to ensure they work smoothly.

swift53 and turbo-joe like this.