Ferrari Only Concours d’Elagance - The Future | FerrariChat

Ferrari Only Concours d’Elagance - The Future

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, Jan 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Given recent developments with the Cavallino Classic under its new ownership, as well as the expanding corporate evolution in the concours world overall, it seems there could be a significant opportunity for a new Ferrari Concours d’Elegance to take shape with the following core criteria:

- Only the very finest preserved and restored examples invited representing all eras

- An extreme focus on purity and strict application to original specifications, whether preserved or restored

- Heavy focus on early, significant classes and featured classes (being the foundation of the event), yet also a strong showing of significant modern era cars, such a supercars, etc.

- Judged by the absolute most respected, knowledgeable and revered experts in the world, drawing from talent around the world, under the INDEPENDENT authority of the IAC/PFA, without ANY influence or interference by the event producers/organizers.

- A simple annual gathering at an extremely elegant location, likely in either California, Arizona or Florida.

- Though staged at a beautiful setting, the event is not a lifestyle event. Rather, it is focused strictly on the cars, friends and people, consisting of a welcome reception, substantive seminars, a tour, the concours and an elegant dinner.

- Open to the general public via ticket sales

- Conflict free sponsorship platform that would deliver value and enhancement to the event, but would have no influence on the events agenda, structure, management decisions, judging or outcome - a very similar model to the Masters golf tournament.

I welcome constructive thoughts and input. Thank you.

87testa, ggjjr, Graz and 7 others like this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Definitely time for this considering recent developments however there should absolutely be a Touring rally the day before as these are cars and not Ming vases. Any dings during the tour would NOT result in points loss.

In 1998 when I test drove 250LM 6051 at Moroso during the Cavallino Classic for a Cavallino magazine historic biography article there was a ding on the nose of the car during track lapping caused by a car in front throwing a small stone (actually I was not the one driving when that happened) but when I pointed this out to Ed Gilbertson he took note and the next day the car did not get a points deduction and in fact won its class.

With the ever increasing tendency for these cars to be considered investments the touring rally is vital to ensure the cars are driven not bunkered.

A different location each year would be good too, I've always thought the Greenbrier in West Virginia was a perfect location as is the Ojai valley Inn in California, both are grand resorts similar in historical gravitas to the Breakers AND have superb roads nearby. I actually visited The Ojai resort with John Barnes after Monterey 1998 when he and his wife were considering moving to California and he was considering moving the event west.

craterface, 87testa, Lusso123 and 6 others like this.
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thank you for your thoughts and input. Yes, as noted, a tour should be an important part of the event.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thanks for setting up this new thread.
    Thinking cap put on.

Marcel Massini

Lusso123, JSinNOLA, of2worlds and 5 others like this.
  5. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    IMO, this shouldn´t be a deduction anyway. Sure, it is annoying, but cars are things to be used.

At the 70 Years Celebration in Maranello, one car got a "premium point for regular usage", the other one a point deduction for dirty floor mats, caused by the dry grass around pulled in for the mandatory engine start... Well, was happy with one result and not that convinced by the other. Both cars in different classes.

Lusso123 and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Fully agree very inconsistent judging.

mechaniker likes this.
  7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I would also add - a charitable component with a portion of proceeds benefiting a worthy and impactful cause that’s very separate from the high end car community.

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Who or what would be the organizing entity?

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    To be defined but lots of good will out there. Not a problem.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I would love to be part of this. Let me know how i can help.

TOOLFAN, Nembo1777 and JSinNOLA like this.
  11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    As I mentioned in the “other” thread, except for “open for public” (which I see as a good thing), as far as I understand all the above is and has been available for decades(?) at Ferrari Club of America Annual Experience.
    If not a member, join, become active and donate (time or $$) to help with their efforts organizing these events.
    It’s quite simple.
    Why re-invent the wheel ?

Jeff Kennedy likes this.
  12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    IF Cavallino moves to miami……..

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Wouldn't it make more sense to have the tour after the concours?

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Cars in the Concours are often/mostly not the same as those on a Tour.

Marcel Massini

TOOLFAN likes this.
  15. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I was responding to Nembo1777's post #2 above.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Great idea. There are several suitable venues spread around the country.

The IAC/PFA has a rule that we do not deduct for damage transporting cars to the event. It would of course be applied to damage incurred at the event.
    We are pretty liberal about accepting those claims.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #17 Rifledriver, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022

That is not a deduction. Never was to my knowledge.

I was a judge at the 70th. It should not be used as a basis for comparison to anything. Things were done differently for various reasons and that is all that needs to be said.

mechaniker likes this.
  18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    anybody recall the incident approx 20 yrs ago at the Quail where an employee drove his golf cart into the back of a daytona? was in the news letter w picture.

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bottom line is somebody is going to have to put serious coin upfront to have a traditional meet.

However, it might be cool to just let it happen. Pick a place. Get the word out and watch what happens. Probably too loosey goosey for major cars, but it would be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

JSinNOLA likes this.
  20. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Same!

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #21 Rifledriver, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    No. And it has already been discussed to have a tour like Pebble for extra points. Cars go in impound between tour and show.

As said, they are after all cars and I believe it to be a good thing they prove they are capable of being used as such.

I have known of too many show cars and cars headed to auction that we referred to as "Ramp ready" meaning they were capable of dragging themselves across a reviewing ramp and not much else.

Lusso123 and Texas Forever like this.
  22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ and the owner of the car must drive the car not the restorer.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That has been done before and is still running. Its called Concourso Italiano in Monterey every year. No need for another.

What is being described here is quite different.

24. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    I know, it was different than other events, but my first Concours. One class was very easy and the judges fast, friendly, honest and always asked, why it is different than expected. Other class was uncommunicative and I was supprised by the deductions later on. I got the info about the deductions later on the phone with Adolfo Orsi. He was a bit surprised too.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Many owners are incapable. Are we to punish them for not being healthy or young enough to drive an important car?

We are testing cars, not owners.

jm2, Lusso123, Marcel Massini and 2 others like this.