the F40 is undervalued | Page 15 | FerrariChat

the F40 is undervalued

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    According to someone who was following hammer was $2.5m and $2.75m is with fees.

JTSE30 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Correct - i have the app set to include fees on final prices

joe sackey likes this.
  3. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Works for most auctions but Mecum and BJ are sketchy and often negotiate final fees with buyers if they’ll jump bids to get a car to reserve. But I’m sure this (buy fee inflated all-in price) will be pointed to as a genuine comp vs an outlier. The way of the bubble…

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    F40 price isn’t a bubble price. Used cars are up 30 percent. The world is a bubble since 2011 is one debate you can have but f40s have been nothing but steady and stable since 2009, my 2 cents.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If I owned one I wouldn’t say it was a bubble either. Prices up but nothing uniformly so I think there’s more nuisance to it than percentage reference or even one brand/model over another. I guess we’ll see how things play out when the market corrects as I suspect many current buyers are using portfolio loans and other cheap debt that’s highly susceptible to rate and market fluctuation are going to be rushing to the exits when the sure thing isn’t so sure and those payments keep rolling in…

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    There is no doubt that those things can be factors… But the world is very different now than it was in 2009… In 2009 there was a handful of us that were playing the Ferrari game and really playing it… Now they’re are 10 or 20 times as many guys trying to play the game… There are new industries, new sources of wealth, doesn’t mean that the rules have been changed by any means but I got long inflation assets about 10 years early… There is no doubt that hard assets have become true alternatives for people as bonds have stayed uninvestable… There’s a ton of froth across certain parts of the car market for sure (g63) , but I do think the F40 is the bluechip of bluechips

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    So to put it in perspective the F40's Seller nets around $2.25m.

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Way better off selling on BAT

JAM1 and Thecadster like this.
  9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Or on Sackey & Co for benchmark results because we're low-volume high curation and focus only on Supercars only https://www.sackeyandco.com/results

Amongst some other iconic Supercars, we hope to announce a very low mileage Tipo USA F40 in the near future.

10. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’m always intrigued by the Mecum venue choice for exotics. To me their buyers are generally uneducated in that area vs muscle cars, but maybe sellers count on that? Or the fact Mecum will heavily negotiate sell (and buy) fees?

As an aside, what’s the obsession with Michael Fux’s “collection” cars? They’re always hideous spec’d and bidders still seem to love them. Then there’s the blatant flipping component since so many of them are undriven and often current model year cars. So much for manufacturers or dealers not wanting cars to go to flippers. I don’t get it.

375+ and joe sackey like this.
  11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Strange times we live in.

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  13. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    These always seemed like the ones that were undervalued in the F-Car supercar range. I see it like a .dot bubble type car that took 25yrs to regain all time high only to revert to the mean, where it belongs.

$2.5m for a nice F40 seems absolutely reasonable actually considering what it is. They are captivating race cars for the road and very very raw. It’s a unique offering and has the right badge. It also happens to be the founders last masterpiece that the world accepted as such but never valued it that way. Well, Chris Harris may just have been right? It’s the One.

ross likes this.
  14. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    ross likes this.
  15. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Is the price gap between US and Euro F40s that are actually on the ground in America shrinking or negligible?

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Let me tell you that there is currently a massive demand from North American based potential buyers for EURO F40's.
    But there's also huge activity in the F40 sector in Europe. During my 45 years in the Ferrari World I have never seen such a frenzy before (and I have been around in the seriously wild years of 1988/1989 already, fortunately this time it seems to be mostly real cash and not all financed as it was back in the late 80's).

Marcel Massini

375+, randkin, joe sackey and 3 others like this.
  17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The market is absolutely insane. For all cars not just F40.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #368 ross, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    if we take this last sale simply at face value, then the differential between euro and usa cars has vaporized.
    as well, again only at face value, this sale also goes some way to lessening the value of low miles vs driver miles - this car sold for nearly the same amount as the 2 usa version cars that sold last year with super low mileage.
    this car also eroded the notion of a car needing to be classiche certified to haul down the big bucks.
    this car also diluted the opinions that cars with aftermarket exhausts and other 'adjustments' are less worthy than stock.

but of course, we need to hear about this car in particular and what it really looked like in the flesh, what the real ownership chain and provenance looks like etc.
    if anybody on here saw the car in person please step forward.
    otherwise we will have to rely on the data on the Mecum sheet, or from @Marcel Massini if he is inclined to share it on this forum.

19. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    True

20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    FWiW for Euro cars there’s also a market difference between non cat / non adjust and cat and / or adjust cars.

JAM1 and Marcel Massini like this.
  21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There's also a market difference between an F40 with sliding plexiglass windows or the more mundane wind-up windows.
    It's almost like the 250 GT California Spider with open headlights or covered headlights (a kool 5 Million $ difference!)......... (probably 50 Grand to convert but who wants to do that?)

Marcel Massini

Caeruleus11, joe sackey and rmolke85 like this.
  22. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris

Yes, agreed. If buying, be on the look out for fakes of both roll up window cars converted to sliding window that are being represented as original and cat cars with cats removed also being represented as original. As always, check with Marcel.

375+ likes this.
  23. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  24. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’m glad to hear there may be stabilization in going to cash, although I’m not sure how anyone would truly know if it were cash or money taken on loan from something else (loc, margin, etc). I know last year I was approached by two separate entities to “invest” in their groups for the specific reason of car speculation. One from CA had a couple of F40s along with a dozen or so other cars in that league, and the other was just in the capital raise phase but intended to buy the same types and caliber of cars. I found it sad that these machines were looked at more as static art investments than being driven but I suppose that’s what happens when they start getting expensive…

25. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Drove 200 miles yesterday, 50 miles today, maybe more tomorrow...Since miles driven are no longer such a negative, everyone needs to drive them more!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat