Track your 458/488 F8 | FerrariChat

Track your 458/488 F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wthensler, Jan 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    #1 wthensler, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    So lately I’ve gotten a bit into the whole track thing. After attending the Ferrari Corso Pilota school in November, I met a guy who rents out tracks and provides instruction for novices like me.

I have zero aspirations to be a race car driver, even in my head, but I admit to a deep curiosity in testing our the wares of these cars. Why buy a Ferrari if you’ll never even get a glimpse of what its capabilities are?

Sure, you can take it for nice drives, but pressure testing it under controlled circumstances is a great way to appreciate all the thought and engineering Ferrari’s put into their brand. And by that, I mean performance-wise.

We ran The Firm up in NE Florida yesterday, a tight, 1.5 mile track. There were only four of us and the instructor. Game on and Track time galore!

It was a great way to stretch the 458’s legs (which is by far no slouch) and push it to its capabilities. Unlike a GT3RS, the Ferrari is a much more difficult driver, and very sensitive to driver input. It’ll hurt you if you get sloppy but jeez, what a blast it truly is - drama and all.

The instructor (Vlad Hamke) runs a 360 Challenger and he took the controls of the 458 for a number of runs to show me the nuances of the track, and what a Ferrari can really do. Incredible! If anyone’s interested in doing something like this, let me know.

I’m looking forward to running Sebring late Jan and then getting some track time with the STO. On the 458, I did experience brake fade and will change up to Pagid pads and Cup 2 tires. The Michelin’s are not bad, but they do slide a bit.

I am still awed at the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the Ferrari. I can’t wait for the F8.

At least the STO makes no attempt to hide its track-focused personality. That’s next up after I get a little more track time under my belt.

And shout out to our resident expert @mdrums and @Il CoPilota for their advice!

Some pics of cool down after some fast laps.

Attached Files:

LVP488, mdrums, AD211 and 6 others like this.
  2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nice small group! I'm used to dozens of cars and constant traffic (albeit on larger tracks), which makes it a bit harder to drive consistently. If you can do a session at a skidpad you will learn a ton in a short time.

Il Tifoso and wthensler like this.
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Having to deal with traffic on track events with point-by rules can be frustrating. At Ferrari events, it always seems to be an F12 that gets in the way! The F12 has faster times at Fiorano, but you wouldn’t know it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Dicecal likes this.
  4. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William

The skidpad opportunity later will come later this year. With such a small group, having an empty track for hours on end was an incredible learning experience which I doubt will be repeated often. We actually had to create passing situations just to learn track protocol. I was pretty worn out by day's end.

Vlad will be accompanying me to Sebring at the end of the month, but this will be a Chin Track day and I'm sure it'll be more regulated and a bit busier.

Need4Spd likes this.
  5. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Sebring? Cool! I hear you will want comfort mode on the suspension :)

6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    You’ll have a great time at Sebring. Chin is the best run group as well. I’ve been driving Sebring for 15yrs and running with Chin since 2006. Your stock suspension in regular will be fine. People make a huge deal out of Sebring being harsh with bumps but it’s really only T 1 track out exit and T17 that’s bumpy. Few other little bumps but not what people make it to be like the whole track is harsh.

Il Co-Pilota and JanStuart like this.
  7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I missed the last Chn event but we have Sebring rented on February 7th and 8th. We will have at least 3 488 Evo's running so if you want to see and hear some real race cars you can probably come by and watch. Just PM me and Ill see about getting you in to watch but you likely will not be able to participate.

wthensler and mdrums like this.
  8. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Especially when the slower cars can’t be bothered to do a proper point by! :eek:

Need4Spd likes this.