What type and brand of fuel do you use in your Mondial? | FerrariChat

What type and brand of fuel do you use in your Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DHC, Jan 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DHC

DHC Karting

Sep 28, 2021
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    David Cropper
    What type (87, 91, 93 octane) is best for the Mondial engine? What brand is best? Do you use any fuel additives? I searched old threads and did not see much on this. I have a 87 QV.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If a US version 1987 Mondial 3.2, see page 20 of your 397/85 OM. Ferrari recommends using a 95 R.O.N. minimum octane rated fuel (which is about equivalent to a 90 A.K.I. minimum octane rated fuel in the US -- as US gas pumps show the fuel octane rating in A.K.I. units, not R.O.N. units).

Matthew 6:19 likes this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The way things are going you may be making fuel from pig poo yet. I bet the exhaust tone is nice

4. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I use non-ethanol gas. Expensive but helps my fuel distributor not clog up

Il Steeg likes this.
  5. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    Fun fact: all gasoline brands tend to share the same distribution farms. Chevron pipes in 10K gallons of gasoline into a farm and then is allows to truck out 10K gallons. Ditto with Shell and every other refinery. When a truck delivers gas to shell vs chevron, for example, they pour a ~gallon of additive into a ~10,000 gallon tank. A delivery to a gas station that buys on the spot market won't neccesarily get the additive package.

For your needs, I'd say the octane rating matters more than the additives with E0 vs E10 gasoline being a secondary concern. fuel additives, with the possible exception of stabil for long term storage, I think would have minor value for a mondial.

One of the biggest claims of fuel injection cleaner is that it helps with your classic fuel injectors (i.e. to make sure their spray pattern stays good and unclogged); Im not sure how important that is with the more primitive fuel distribution setup that these cars have. If you really want to burn money (literally, since the stuff goes up in smoke), you can always fill up with any brand gasoline and then every so often run a can of fuel injector cleaner (ex: Chevron Techron) before a gas change (so you know that any amount that makes it from your gasoline to your oil will be drained shortly. IIRC, that stuff when used in a tank of gas is claimed to be 10x more concentrated than the techron that is premixed with Chevron gasoline.

6. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
  7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #7 moysiuan, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    In Ontario, Canada, I use the only gas that has no alcohol, and that is Shell V Power. It has higher octane than necessary, but avoiding the alcohol is a good idea.

I also run a small amount of Red Line water remover at the beginning of each season, don't want the nice aluminum fuel tanks or the fuel guage sensor to corrode, and alcohol fuels are a magnet for moisture retention.

My gas tank hoses, including the key tank connector hose, were replaced with the Scuderia Rampante hoses. But not everyone will have these hoses that can withstand the alcohol enriched fuels. A newly rebuilt fuel distributor has better internals that can withstand the alcohols. But who knows how the rubber in eg. an accumulator, or the pressure regulator do with the alcohols, so best to stay away if your local stations have pure gas choices.

The Ferrari engines are not that high compression, and the ignition controls are effective, so the car would probably be ok even on regular gas, 87 Octane in Canada. But mid grade 89 or premium 91 with no alcohol, would seem to be the choice the cars were designed for.

8. Mondi Cab

Mondi Cab Karting

Oct 9, 2019
    EU
    Full Name:
    J.Schulz
    Fully DISagree to that !
    E10 is a killer for older cars like ours (and might be one of the intentions for making it mandatory stock at the pump).
    Whilst true engine damages might only show after 20.000km or so, the rubber hoses will show deterioration after sometimes less than 3 years.
    I had to swap all fuellines - albeit the steelflex type - on a 1.6 rabbit/Golf for the owner having reluctantly continued to fuel up with 95 octane without caring for the E10 indication. Fuel just squirted out of the hoses.
    Same age car that requires 98 octanes, that still is being sold as E0 or max E5 in most EU countries, has no problem with the hoses.

9. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I always use Shell or Mobil. High Test as my Grandfather used to say.
    I wish we had ethanol free but we don’t.
    I use a bottle of Techron in weeks leading up to my pre-winter oil change and put her away with some stabil.
    Seems to work.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
  11. DHC

DHC Karting

Sep 28, 2021
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    David Cropper
    Thank you to everyone! My 87 is a USA model. It is my first Ferrari, so I want to treat it right. It makes sense to use some redline to keep the water out, especially if it sits so long during the winter. It is very difficult to deal with alcohol in our fuels and ethanol will not be going away anytime soon, so we must deal with it. I am mainly concerned with my fuel distributor being damaged.

12. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    One thing to consider: review the ingredients of your fuel stabilizers for when you put your car away for the winter... esp if you are putting stuff in the fuel for water removal. If you want to avoid alcohol, the stabilizer you choose might have the opposite effect.

HEET specifically is marketed as a water remover and is mainly isopropyl alcohol.
    STABIL is petroleum distillates but claims to be alcohol free.

They also make "ethanol treatment" additives. I know nothing about this stuff so it would be an interesting thing to research to see if any are worth it or if its all just snake oil (repackaged detergents).

13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Shell V Power + Techron additive.

Probably not a daily driver, so the fuel date should be noted. Old fuel should be dumped. Fuel filter replaced annually.

The K-Jet fuel system must be kept clean, or you will have rough running problems.

Matthew 6:19 and ronfrohock like this.
  14. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Shells V Power has no ethanol it says so right on the pump this what I use in Toronto
    I never seen no alcohol please explain

15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Seems to be some internet chatter than ethanol free gas may no longer sold in Ontario as of 2022. Possible, but otherwise Shell V Power Nitro previously had no ethanol. Some Canadian Tire and Costco in Ontario premium also had no ethanol.

This site has been accurate in the past, and one could call the station and confirm directly
    https://www.pure-gas.org

16. DHC

DHC Karting

Sep 28, 2021
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    David Cropper
    What about starting your mondial at least once every two weeks in storage during the winter? That will keep the engine fluids fresh and maybe eliminate some of the water retention inside the engine.

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    sadly, I only have 91. I use either Chevron/76/Shell.

davemqv likes this.
  18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Being as i am a poor man i have to go out at night with a rubber hose and a fuel can, i need someone to send me their spare change so i can afford to go to the pumps and buy a few gallons.

19. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Unfortunately you need to run a car under load for a while in order to get the temperatures need to boil off water than infuses naturally into oil when left to sit. If you have a coolant and oil temp guage, you can see the coolant will heat up fairly quickly, but the oil temp climbs very very slowly. Starting up and idling wiill have the opposite effect to what you would weant, you will heat things up but not enough to boil off water, but when you shut down the temperature change will attract condensation. This is why short city trips are so hard on a car.

gsfent, Jeka and decampos like this.
  20. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    93 octane. Only put as much gas in the car as I will use that drive approximately. With winter weather and other distractions I don’t want the gas to age.

21. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I have just discovered a non-ethanol option very nearby, 91 octane. Should I be using that? Seems from some quick reading, its probably a good idea for these beautiful Italian v8 motors.

davem likes this.
  22. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Non ethanol is best. 91 was mentioned before as adequate too.

23. Owlhead3.2

Owlhead3.2 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Richardson
    Shell V-max 97 in the UK

24. Owlhead3.2

Owlhead3.2 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Midlands, UK