Daytona 15443 Mecum auction | FerrariChat

Daytona 15443 Mecum auction

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Zarathustra, Jan 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
  2. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The Mecum car looked like a near-concours quality Daytona (at least on TV).

Winning bid of $550k (before fees) seemed like a relative bargain, in my opinion.

Marcel Massini reported in another thread that 15443 underwent an exterior and interior color change, but that doesn’t bother me in the least.

Alan
    N.J.

NYC Fred likes this.
  3. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Personally having a wholesale change in and out would bother me for sure, of course I am a total original nut.

SD455TA likes this.
  4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    So in reality the price is 605 that sets the market reference not 550. 605 is what was paid.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    If it was an actual sale.

Juan-Manuel Fantango and TTR like this.
  6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    no chassis pix.
    needs leather steering wheel.
    otherwise nice car at a bargain price.

7. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    15443 did look pretty nice. Certainly nice enough (even at $605k) to make me conclude that I am still well under-water on my car... :)

Obviously, different folks will care more than others about the double color change; though just as obviously, many "nice cars" have had all their original finishes removed, so if *real* originality is what you are after, than to me, the color changes are actually sort of secondary to the fact that the car has been completely redone.

Putting aside things like the steering wheel (and the horse reflectors, and the wheel spinners, etc), the car does look like it was redone by someone that cared about trying to keep it mostly correct (major emissions gear is still there; has not been "shaved" of side reflectors).

If I were still looking, I would have considered bidding...

8. Italian Tuneup

Italian Tuneup Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Rick Careys report from Kissimmi auction 2021

https://rickcarey.com/mecum-auctions-kissimmee-january-7-16-2021/

# F173 1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Coupe, Body by Pininfarina-Scaglietti; S/N 15443; Red/Tan leather, Black bars; Estimate $650,000 – $700,000; Cosmetic restoration 3+ condition; Reserve; Not sold at Hammer bid of $500,000 plus commission of; Final Price $500,000. – 4,390/352hp, painted nose panel, popup lights, Ansa exhaust, 4 wheel power disc brakes, air conditioning, power windows, woodrim steering wheel, Borrani chrome spoke wire wheels, Michelin XWX tires, books, tool roll. –

Paint overall in fair condition with some blemishes from the age of the cosmetic restoration, especially on the driver’s side door. Nose of vehicle appears to be slightly a color shade off as well. The interior is in good condition but shows strong signs of wear on both seats and the leather wrapped center console. Brightwork fair with some scratches throughout the car. Engine bay clean but the hood mat is slightly stained. Chrome wire wheels and tires in great condition. An older restoration that still stands tall for the hobbyist’s daily or weekly enjoyment. – Offered at RM’s New York Auto Show and Salon auction in 2000 where it went home with its consignor on a reported hammer bid of $86,000. Taking its condition into account, the bid here is appropriate; the estimate range is out of sight. Daytonas have been in eclipse for years and there’s nothing in the recent past that suggests that this mediocre example would come anywhere close to the estimate range.

9. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Stefan:

Many thanks for your post…it was a real eye-opener. I’m surprised 15443 was considered only a “mediocre example” a year ago. Maybe the car was fluffed up since then?

It just goes to show that you can’t truly judge the condition of these cars on TV…an in-person inspection is mandatory.

Thanks,
    Alan
    N.J.

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    What I say all the time.
    It basically is financial suicide and high risk gambling to buy this kind of car online only, without prior personal inspection.

Marcel Massini

11. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Something to also keep in mind is that the folks doing these sorts of summaries are looking at a lot of cars, and can't spend that much time on each one, so one can't really take their assessments as "iron clad".

I've seen a few descriptions (of cars that I looked over carefully), where the impression of the summary was not 100% right.

375+ likes this.