Testarossa Price Trends | Page 257 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

350 likely but on BAT only.
    For following the tr markets for as long as I have I can tell u that the prices we are seeing on BAT, whilst I’m happy for them as an owner, are not what dealers get or people pay for in private sales. That’s why we see so many on there z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Federalized over more imported.
    The longer the car is there, the more service records you have, the more the price spread will narrow though imo

3. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hi Denis, what color is yours?

I don't know if you remember, but I first messaged you 2 years ago when I found the first Swiss one I considered, looking for advice on importing, then covid happened and I chose to pass on that car..

I'm buying a Swiss model because I could get no mouse belts, the later updates (ABS, diff, etc), not federalized, unmodified, full service, and repaint in the color I wanted for a price I was OK with.

I appreciate that most buyers in the US would not be comfortable or go to all the trouble to find and import a car!

But also agree with @Natkingcolebasket69 that most US buyers probably prefer a US model over an already imported Euro, though I'm not convinced the preference is as strong as @Auraraptor indicates, and my guess is that the difference would be less for a non-federalized import.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I don't think the crash pad is any different. The early TR's did not have one, but all the 88 and up cars did. to the best of my knowledge.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Us ferrari fans arent dumb. Usa guys wants usa f40s.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I will be fair that I’m basing part of my estimate on that peculiar 10k mile 92 US car which was listed for asking 399 and is now reportedly sold (ZFFLG40A0N0092213). The real question is for how much it actually went….

7. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    I would think a Federalized car is kind of the worst of all worlds. The 25 year rule means you can get an unmodified car in the way it was delivered from factory. A federalized car means it was independently modified to meet USA standards by a random shop (e.g. side markers randomly tacked on and spliced wiring harnesses).

I'm not confident of the value difference once in country (nor do I care). Arguably the older the car, the more dominant condition is over all other factors.

Auraraptor likes this.
  8. MITengineer

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    I think it's probably a matter of preference more than anything. Objectively it seems the majority prefer USA spec cars given values. The Euro Cars are about 100lbs lighter, and some had some very inspiring owners (Gerhard Berger, Nigel Mansell, etc.) that make them exciting on an individual level.

9. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Well said. Objectively I think the European cars are much nicer and better to drive.

10. MITengineer

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    I've never driven both back to back so perhaps there's an element of myth to it. I don't really care to be honest, both are great to be enjoyed and come down to an individual level. I understand being USA sold matters to many (and I do think there's objective sales data to support that), but there's compelling arguments to going for a Euro car too. Enjoy both, to each his own.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I wldnt want a car with bladders when there is a better design available.
    My eyes dont see any flaws in a usa f40

MITengineer and Auraraptor like this.
  12. MITengineer

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    I think that's the beauty of individual preference. I like that you like your car.

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    How does the topic change from TR to F40

Not trying to be a tool I'm just want to know what I missed
    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

14. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    In reference to previous page “major” estimates.. you guys really need to find a better value. A TR service here includes things you SHOULD do anyway, like the water pump, and is still only 12-15 grand

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    It’s been a while but from memory, euro cars use a bladder for gas which while lighter and holds more gasoline, is very expensive upkeep

16. Natkingcolebasket69

#6416 Natkingcolebasket69, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    It all depends on how long the car has been in the country for. Like ttforce said us customers, for the overwhelming majority, want us cars that simple. Not saying they are better but it’s just how the market is
    That being said u were wise to buy in Europe.
    I was just checking again the pricing back home and it’s no contest.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Natkingcolebasket69

And u have one too!;)

18. Natkingcolebasket69

12-15 for a comprehensive one but it’s not rare they reach 20k easily.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Was my fault- i was responding to usa buyers preferring usa cars. Apologies.

Veedub00 likes this.
  20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I do agree with you though on the f40 for sure and the F50 ..but the 308 ,512 bbi etc it may flip ..so each model could have a difference preference

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

21. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    blkdiablo33 likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    when the F40s became importable to the USA rather than the USA prices coming down, the Euro models went up. i think that surprised a bunch of people. maybe TR market will do the opposite.

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It was to pass a US crash standard. I am not totally certain the US was the only country that had it but most countries did not.

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    California smog laws have the same impact on prices. The US is a huge market. Anytime a car becomes legal here its price goes up because to pool of buyers became larger. So few 288's are capable of being registered in California the few that are are worth more on the market.

V4NG0 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Hadn’t thought of that, great point!