HELP - 458 or 488 purchase (with details) | FerrariChat

HELP - 458 or 488 purchase (with details)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buzz0017, Jan 16, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell
    Hi guys,

New to thread, about to purchase my first Ferrari, (actually my first sports car) My apologies if this topic has been overdone a million times, but anyways I’m about to pull trigger and have two cars I’m looking at and can’t decide…

It’s between 2016 488 GTB Rosso Corsa metallic, all carbon options, Cuio interior with black carpets, basically fully loaded. 9700 miles $279k, great shape.

or 2014 458 Rosso corsa with black interior red stitching. 4500 miles $250 k, also pretty close to fully loaded, carbon steering wheel, carbon dash, lift, backup cams.. Great condition.

Both are sold by Ferrari dealerships in two different cities. The 458 in my hometown, the 488 in California.

It’s a very hard choice, I like both about equally. I like front end looks of 458 better, rear end of 488 better. Interior options and tech on 488 better, exhaust sound on 458 better, but then 488 has more speed, but 458 lower miles..

The price is very close which makes it a tough choice.

I can post some pics shorty, what do people think Is abetter bet in terms of price, value, future value andcoolness/satisfaction factor.. ???

2. pnd4pnd

pnd4pnd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2021
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Thune
    I can't imagine buying a 488 over a 458. 458's are rising in value and 488's dropping in comparison. 458 sounds much better, much more drivable on the road (488 needs to be going really fast to have fun).

mr.agn, Rexcat458, TGGR57 and 6 others like this.
  3. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wrong on all accounts except sound

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

sfcorse, gmo28, Ash Patel and 6 others like this.
  4. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    Have you test driven either?

buzz0017 likes this.
  5. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell
    I have test driven several of both, it’s pretty tough to choose though. I heard they are discontinuing the F8 as well and only fulfilling a few remaining orders. I’m also thinking that maybe the all gas models, turbo or not, will be more sought after since all new models will be hybrid going forward.???

6. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell
    I have test driven several of both, it’s pretty tough to choose though. I heard they are discontinuing the F8 as well and only fulfilling a few remaining orders. I’m also thinking that maybe the all gas models, turbo or not, will be more sought after since all new models will be hybrid going forward.???

7. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    IMO cool factor, sound, and long term value all derive from being the last non turbo. I would wait to find an F8 before buying a 488 but they’re probably still way out of the same price range. I considered a 488 purely because they are available in more interesting colors. The 488 is definitely faster but so are a bunch of less interesting cars.

8. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    Below is a copy and paste from a December reply to a forum member asking a similar question.

I briefly test drove a 488 Spider and a 458 Spider back to back about two years ago, both with the top down.
    Three things stood out in favor of the 488.

The extra power, especially down low in the RPM due to the extra torque.
    It had a smoother more compliant ride.
    The chassis seem more rigid with noticeably less shake over bumps.

I still ended up buying a 458 Spider because at that time it was considerably less money and I felt it would hold its value better.
    The NA sound was also a factor. I had to really get on the 488 to get the exhaust to speak up and it just didn't have the voice the 458 has.

Which car excites you the most? Sound, color combinations, speed and handling all have different values to different people.

458 Spider 0414, 430jm and buzz0017 like this.
  9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Not true at all. Pick something that is real difference the sound. Having said that the 488 GTB has its own great sound.

10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Way wrong. 488 is not dropping in the least. 488 drives as good actually better on the street due to low end torque than the 458 which needs to be wound up to high rpm to get the full enjoyment.

Only buzz0017 will really know what car excites him more after he sees them,8n person and actually drives them. The 458 sound great but the 488 when valves are open sounds good too. For me I drove both a few times and the feel of the car overall had me pick a 488. Neither is the wrong choice though.

11. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell
    BillHartman67 likes this.
  12. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell
    #13 buzz0017, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    To make matters worse there is an F8 I was considering, the Ferrari dealer also threw carbon wheels on it I’m sure to sweeten the deal, but not sure since it’s still a ways over list but maybe scarcity will keep price buoyed up in future?

4500 miles $389k but specced pretty basic.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

BillHartman67 and pninja005 like this.
  13. rw99

rw99 Karting

Jan 1, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Having chosen a 488 myself, it’s not surprising that I think the 488 you’ve shown is preferable. That’s a really good looking spec.

However, if future value is a key component of your decision… I think the 458 is the right choice. We can already see significant overlap in the pricing zones for these two models, and the reasoning behind improved 458 valuation does make sense.

14. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell

Yeah that 488 is spec'd exactly how I would have done it, and yes future valuation is a component, but not the most important , but it is always nice to end up better off financially if possible, especially when the decision is tough to make on the cars so if one of these seemed like a clear winner in the future value category that might help aid the decision. That being said I think the 488 has started to bottom out in terms of depreciation curve, its nice to have the added features inside on the 488 such as stereo bluetooth, and front and back camera's, and I think when looking at 458's vs 488's it would be tough to pick the 458 at the same price. I started out looking at 458's but to find one low miles, with all the spec I like and sold by a Ferrari dealer they start to get close to 488 price... if the 458 was 200-220k instead of 250, and the 488 at 300k I would choose the 458 and it would be much easier.

15. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell
    Anyone know how many F8 were made, and how that might affect future value? People talk about the 458 being the last naturally aspirated engine, but how about the F8 being the last non hybrid, non electric V8? Plus i think there will only be maybe 3000-4000 made by the time its officially wrapped up

c8spidey likes this.
  16. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

You need to decide why you are buying one.

Do you want to speculate on percentage return of future value, or which one lights you up when you drive it?

Only you will know what is right for you, but you should at least decide what is most important to you. All of us have already decided what we like and why.

Dijit, LVP488 and Viperjoe like this.
  17. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell
    I like all 3, the search started out with 458 but the increase in 458 prices has me considering the other models. Current and future price has to be considered. If I could find a clean low mileage well spec'd 458 for a decent price that's what I would choose, but its getting tough and cars are selling quickly when they list. If the 488's were less than 458's I would purchase one of those. For example, on another thread I think someone posted a 458 in New York listed at over $300k, to me that just doesn't make sense, its too high for that car. If the F8's weren't selling for $80-100k over list I'd buy an F8. So this is about making a smart purchase along with getting what I like. I like mid engine Ferrari coupes. This is my first sports car purchase, and if I buy right and then want to swap into something else later hopefully there can be less pain, or maybe if I keep the car for 20-30 years it would be worth something which is just an extra bonus. I have watch and guitar hobbies as well, and it's similar, price and the market is always a factor. That being said I am trying to get a feeling of others consensus because other people are "the market" and I do appreciate everyone chiming in, its a tough choice. There are pro's and cons to each model. I'm not a big driving guy or car guy, I always wanted a Ferrari or Porsche, never anything else and now I'm gratefully in a position to buy one and its exciting but tough!

It seems like the people that like 458 go back to the sound, and the people that like the 488 go to the speed. I'm trying to figure out which one I think looks better and that's tricky. I wish the hood and front bumper was different on 488, and I wish the rear end/ tail lights were slightly different on 458. F8 looks pretty cool overall.

18. TheGaucho

TheGaucho Karting

Oct 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    SergeFurRE
    If you believe the price gap between the 458 and the 488 will narrow over time, then perhaps it makes sense to buy the 458 first. Drive it for a year, and THEN decide if you prefer a 488 later. Doing it in this order, almost guarantees that you will not pay a price if you decide you like the other car better after a year. If you do it in the reverse order, you'll most likely pay a financial penalty.

Spezia and rw99 like this.
  19. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell

That would make sense, however what I think is that the 458 may be topping out for now and will flatten out, and that there could be a chance the 488 will come into favor, I think they may be reaching the bottom of their curve. I think all of the 458, 488 and F8 have a shot at appreciating once the world sells primarily all hybrid or electric cars new. The same way the 458 became more desired after Ferrari switched to Turbo, I think all combustion vehicles will be more desired once only hybrid/electric are offered.

All that being said, I think I'm leaning towards the 488 for now, its fully loaded, great spec, and I can play with the exhaust if I feel its needed, has all the carbon, front and back cams, lift, and great interior colors.

20. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I have some really great news for you: You can’t go wrong! You’ll only win. All are awesome.

But I’d take the 458 because of its amazing orchestra, especially if this is your first Ferrari. ;)

rob5819, 430jm, Loxo and 3 others like this.
  21. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell

Thanks for the input Petrolhead, I will likely be making a decision by end of day tomorrow. What about modding the exhaust on the 488, you think it can get fairly close to 458 sound?

22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I’d say he is mostly right though the 488 are also rising, just less rapidly in value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzz0017 likes this.
  23. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    TBH, my answer is no. I’m personally very picky with engine sound and nothing can really replicate that characteristic NA V8 Ferrari note.

Having said that, there are ways to make the 488 sound more aggressive and sporty. I have a friend who added a Capristo exhaust and frankly, while not the NA sound, it’s pretty darn good. It is pricey, though. Easily $8k?

Net, net, to me the 458 is the more special of the two for several reasons, other than the NA engine. However, I’d be super happy with the 488 (or the F8) with a modified exhaust (Capristo or Novitec). Go to YouTube and search for it, plenty of examples.

Again, you’ll always win! ;)

430jm, Loxo and buzz0017 like this.
  24. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    488 especially if financing as its newer and has a sensible mileage

The 458 is in a bit of a bubble currently and this specific car carries a low mileage premium both of which will probably evaporate soon yet it is older so components will be ageing more (for example it should absolutely not be on its original tires) and in a few years will be more difficult to warrant

LVP488, BillHartman67 and buzz0017 like this.