20mm Vacuum Hose | FerrariChat

20mm Vacuum Hose

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sigmacars, Jan 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Where can I get some 20mm vacuum hoses for replacing mine 1988/328

2. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Have you checked with belmetric?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What part on a 328 is 20mm vacuum hose?

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I think he meant some air injection hoses to the air filter housing and the CIS large long hoses to the AAV. They are not vacuum hoses, though.

5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

Do you mean cloth braided 22 mm from the oil separator, under the Plenum to the airbox? I’ve been looking for a year. Called GT car parts 5 times, can’t get anyone to be bothered with such an item .T Rutlands ordered 22 mm hose but it was not cloth braided. Apparently this is now factory correct? but I ended up sending it back anyway. Good luck! Please post if you happen to find this as I would be interested also.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If cloth braid isn't needed get Aeroquip 3/4 push lock hose. Black rubber, oil proof and not too expensive. 7/8 (22mm) is probably also available.

Any parts for cars older than 458 does not come from Ferrari, it comes from Maranello Classic Via Ferrari. They have exclusive rights to make and sell as genuine Ferrari. In recent years they have given up on making many replacement parts look the same as original so that could be true.

308 milano likes this.
  7. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    tuttebenne likes this.
  8. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Sorry yes that is the hose it is 20mm ID I guess 22mm would work

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    22mm will not work well. I have a bunch of 22mm hoses and they don't work in 20mm applications. I had some 20mm from GTC parts some time ago and I cannot buy it now that my stash is all gone.

I can probably get a spool from Global Metrics but the manufacture makes them buy hundreds of meters at a time. Maybe a group-buy where 10 of us chip in and cut it all up.

Rifledriver likes this.
  10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Just doing my Mondial 3.2 air injection hoses and aav hoses with 3/4 inch hose from Newco
    Products. They are branded Continental, but you can install so that the logo and stripe is on the underside and not visible. My original hoses are 19mm ID, 20mm would be a tad loose on the fittings, the fitting OD is caliper measured at the 19mm.

Newco also has the 7/8" hose for the crankcase ventilation system, it looks like it is branded Parker. I did not want the heavy logo and stripes that appears to be on that hose version, so I used Italian Car Parts to get the 22mm, although the price is higher. It has not arrived yet, so I can not comment on its appearance.

Attached Files:

Saabguy, RodC328gts and 308 milano like this.
  11. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #11 moysiuan, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    While you replace the hoses, you will find there are two T fittings. The one under the aav will likely be fine. The one for the exhaust air injection valves will almost certainly be badly corroded.

The OEM supplied part, if avilable at all, is a reproduction that sells for $400 or so! It is a hand welded 19mm steel tubing, with a little sloppy bronze brazing to do the tee leg, and painted satin black. It was probably made by a small supplier who was a relative of one of the factory workers in period, quaint and reflects the hand build era. But even for a concours restoration the OEM part price is not sane for an item that when installed you can not really see much if at all.

You can look up on ebay "3/4" heater hose for 1963-67 Corvette", or buy from one of the various Corvette restoration parts suppliers and find a modern reproduction steel tee that looks and works fine. They come in the plated finish, I painted mine satin black and it looks factory to me, albeit it has a just slightly shorter leg length and a more precision finished ajoinment of the tee part compared to the hand made brazed original. The steel pipe itself is identical in diameter and wall thickness.

Given the exhaust air injection system gets condensation and moisture in it by design, putting a high value OEM reproduction part here makes no sense, it will just corrode away in due course again.

A nylon 3/4" heater hose T from Dorman or Dayco or Gates will also work for those who really want perhaps even better function for the lowest cost. But metal will probably hold up if your exhaust check valves fail, which they will, and blow back some exhaust gas into the hoses and connector.

I attach pictures of my corroded original, the corroded one and the good original, and the good original compared with the painted Corvette reproduction.

Attached Files:

eurocarguy101 and Saabguy like this.
  12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #12 moysiuan, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Also, do not discard the original SAIG hoses. They are long out of production, I was actually thinking of silk screening the logo on new braided hoses (hey its a long winter in Toronto this year) but did not bother with that fussy a project as my goal is mostly function although I do like the period look of the cloth braid. But if the car ever become collectible, some people clean and redye the old cloth hoses for the ultimate originality. My hoses are somewhat hardened but actually are still in ok condition after 33 years, from a pure function standpoint they did not need re-doing.

The new cloth braided hose is not cheap. For pure function at more economic cost, using suitable sized smooth covered fuel/oil rated hose will do the job.

13. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Where’s the exhaust T located?I like to inspect it

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Saabguy likes this.
  15. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Regarding the Tee shown in several posts above, I fabricated my replacement for the corroded piece from copper plumbing supplies.

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Now that is true to the hand built tradition!

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    They have those brass ones at Home Depot.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Or the plastic ones anywhere.
    Resistance to melting never came to mind for me. When that melts the check valves have failed, the hoses are ruined and if its a QV or a 3.2 so has the cutoff valve. All more expensive than the "T". Check valves should be replaced by a high quality replacement every belt change. I use only Delco branded valves because I have had too many generics fail and destroy a lot of parts.

19. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The 3/4 inch plastic tees for automotive are not stocked locally (I am in Canada), it is not a common size for heaters in modern cars it seems. Plastic is probably best for this high condensation application.

But the metal Corvette ones are available, at a cost comparable to the plastic ones. Those hoses are pretty tough, and clamping down on the metal seems more secure. Although one clamps on the plastic cutoff valve, so there goes that argument.

In any event, there are tee fitting choices, here is my favorite beyond the Corvette one that I used...

https://dedicatedmotorsports.com/3-4-inch-billet-tee-fitting/

The main issue is that many people changing hoses don't realize they will likely need a new tee fitting of some sort as well.

I also note the Delco brand exhaust check valves are just Delco branded, there is one chinese now manufacturer making these under various brands, Napa, etc. They and the Standard AV7 are all that is out there. The Delco et al do seem of heavier construction that the AV7's. They are only available black painted these days, the plated ones are discontinued.

I have bought some NOS GM and Mopar ones on ebay, they seem better made, are the golden zinc colour and look more like Ferrari OEM, and hopefully the rubber internals are ok after sitting on a parts shelf for years.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There should be no rubber internals. They would burn up from the exhaust gasses. There is a metal reed valve inside.

I have replaced those at every belt service for many years. Using the generic or even name branded aftermarket brands I had many failures and with some of the 3.4 air injection hoses being very special and very expensive it was costing me a lot to do warranty repairs. Many of those valves lasted less than a year. I decided to get Delco branded because for a while that is what Ferrari used and we had no trouble with them. Since switching to Delco branded I have not had a single failure. There may be other brands but experimentation is too expensive.

RodC328gts likes this.
  21. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Do you guys have a part number for the Delco valve?

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    GM 214-1045 They have several numbers for same part but I have been getting them recently on Amazon and that is the number I get them there. It is still claimed to be US made.

RodC328gts likes this.
  23. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Which hose are you using?

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If its a nice car and looks like they are trying to keep it stock I use the braided hose. If its obvious being stock is not an issue I use the Aeroquip.

RodC328gts likes this.
  25. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    thbaks
    Is the braided hose 19mm? Where do you get these?