458 - Let 458 stand in freezing temps for-- car completely haywire? | FerrariChat

458 Let 458 stand in freezing temps for-- car completely haywire?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by arian1123, Jan 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arian1123

arian1123 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    I made the seemingly fatal mistake of taking my 2012 458 out the other day, and let it stand outside in ~30F temps for about 5-6 hours. When I got back everything seemed completely normal, drove it back the garage, all good. Turned the car on for the first time since then today and everything is going completely haywire:

- First, I get a TPMS not calibrated message. I try recalibrating myself a couple of times, however it always ends with "TPMS temporarily disabled" message, and then back to the "TPMS not calibrated" message. Tried this multiple times no success.
    - I also noticed my water and oil temps creeping up much higher than usual (which is also weird because its cold), and the cooling fans are not turning on. I let this run until the water temps got to over 200F and oil over 190F-- Ive never seen the temps creep so high, even when I drive in summer. Im waiting now for the engine to cool off to check coolant levels properly.

Has anyone else experienced something like this / know what the fix is? How serious could it be?
    Maybe there were pre-existing issues I do not catch, but everything seemed normal and having 2 odd issues come up at once seems... not like a coincidence

2. Testarossa13

Testarossa13 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tony Jr.
    Your tire pressure (PSI) is probably low due to the cold weather.That’s why it shows no cal..Put about 37 psi in each tire.Then drive the car…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. arian1123

arian1123 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    That makes sense, will do and report back

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Take a good handheld tyre pressure gauge and set your cold pressures. Then recalibrate.

Your car is fine. If anything, your battery is the problem.

My Lusso is the winter driver and lives outside for the better part of 4 months. The 488 has been frozen many times. 30F is nothing for these cars. Just make sure of these three things.

A good battery, so get rid of the OE battery if that's what you got.
    Oil for the climate.
    Correct tyre pressures with cold pressure properly set.

It's a car, and it was designed for frost.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

fazooley, armedferret and alex like this.
  5. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Funny this came up. I’ve got to go upstate next weekend and was debating if I want to take the 458 somewhere it has to sit overnight at 18F

6. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Sir,
    What cold weather oil do you recommend for the winter…25-35*F?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    It wont melt, I promise LOL. I dunno why everyone seems to think these cars cannot be in cold weather. The only difference I ever see is maybe a few more creaks then if it was hot. Other then that, throw a set of winters on the car and enjoy it.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's just a matter of using a good oil. The engine was designed for cold weather. The 5w40 will do just fine as long as it's a good quality oil. Like I have mentioned in the past, I like Royal Purple because it seems to be very stable both from a pressure and temp point of view, as well as not foaming. A Royal Purple High Performance oil such as this is what I'd use for winter.
    https://royalpurpledirect.com/royal-purple-5w-40-high-performance-synthetic-motor-oil/
    If the car frequently saw cold starts in -10 C or lower, I'd switch to the 0w40 viscocity.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

fazooley likes this.