V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots | Page 36 | FerrariChat

V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jan 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Stainless welds nice but the bottom gets all oxidized which really weakens thin stuff unless you purge which is how I did most of the welding on the headers but near the end purge is hard and a bother on small jobs which is where the solar flux comes to the rescue....but it wants to be mixed with methanol so I try to keep a small can on hand.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The headers are wrapped. I got pretty aggressive on the front set (on the right) and wrapped the individual tubes down as far as I could then wrapped the set as high as I could figuring less exposed surface area is better for my coils.

I still need to do the pipe the runs from the front bank, up and over the bellhousing but that should be quick, then let them dry out ( I soaked the wrap in water to keep the fibers down) before paint....so I should be able to start on the head leaking issue.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

pilotoCS, Ferraripilot and Cirorsi like this.
  4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Wrapping done, The collectors are all tapered and smooth and curved which the wrap just hates...I'm really hoping that the paint sticks everything to in place a bit better....or try making aluminum covers like the factory headers had. Anyway, they are drying, on to the engine.

308 milano likes this.
  5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    You've only got half the mount, the other half with the flange that mounts to the gearbox would share the same bolt pattern.
    Nonetheless, you can fab:D

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yes, but what do you figure the odd of the TR mount mounts? bolting on and putting the mount at the 308 instead of TR frame locations are? I figured right about 0% :confused:

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Ahhh yup...:(
    Fab it is!:p

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yes.

It looks like just open up the center hole in the brackets a little and drill 2 new holes to hit the TR mount tabs and it'll be good. I had to put 1/4" think spacers under the mounts to get my flywheel to just clear the frame but if I pull those and the OEM 308 washers it looks like the engine will sit...1/16"-1/8 higher than it is now so now, which honestly is probably better as the flywheel is really close to the frame rail.

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Ferraripilot and Jdubbya like this.
  11. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I keep thinking if I ever ended up with your car, I’d need to take out a mortgage to keep you on retainer, forever and ever. Personal hero for diving in and out of that thing

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Hold on... Let me clean my glasses:p

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    dinogt4guy likes this.
  15. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    A little funny in that before buying the TR motor mounts I was looking hard at marine mounts much like the thing is sitting on in the picture.

That thing it 9L but with 44mm carbs....so its got to be low revs, buckets of torque....and on that note my next project is here and has been waiting several year already....1947 Lincoln flathead V12 that is almost exactly the same displacement as the frankenferrari, but a factory 130hp iirc :) My original plan for it was a boat burt these days I'm more leaning toward a hotrod....33 roadster or maybe a 26 to save some money on the body parts.

Jdubbya likes this.
  16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #891 mk e, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    The stuff on the pistons is goo....assembly lube, running rich and such. Carb cleaner took it right off

On the bottom of the gasket the compression mark make it pretty that on the sides it the flame ring not gasket material trying to make the fluid seal...which clearly doesn't work. Sealant it is.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I did recheck the cylinder protrusion and all readings on this bank were .0015-.0030", so right were I left them.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  17. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Get some aviation sealant on that sucker and I bet you’re good. Looks like that ring doesn’t compress much, if at all.

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    yes sir! Sealer on

and head on

While it was off I took the opportunity to grind the snot out the bosses that hold the inner cam cover studs hoping it helps with intake install.

before pic on the other head

JL350 and Ferraripilot like this.
  19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Have you made any progress on improving the rear stub axles?

20. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Like everything on this project the leak test is confusing. For sure there is a leak, the pressure bleeds down 1 psi per minute at 30psi, and maybe 1/2 that at 15 psi so 30 to 0 is about an hour.

Also for sure the leak is not into the cylinders. I have gapless rings that should seal so I used a compression tester hose to make a bubble tester and nothing, not even a hint of of air flowing in any of the cylinders. When I was actually running the test and not trying to photo it, I held the tip of the hose about 1/8" in the water, so there is no even 0.125" water pressure (0.005psi) in there.
    With everything off in the shop, I can't hear anything.....no idea where it's leaking.
    When I went to install the second head I realized I screwed up a little on the 1st. I put sealer on the coolant flow passages on the block but the head has more holes....so where the circles are there are no holes in the block for coolant flow but the head gasket does seal of holes in the heads.....that could be a leak. I'm pretty sure if I pull the head with sealer on it the gasket will be destroyed....and that may or may not be the leak.
    I googled how to leak test a cooling system and found 15 psi for 2 minutes with the coolant full....if its only losing 1/2 psi/ minute of air at 15psi, so that would be 1/50th of that with water or about 0.02psi in 2 minutes and would easily pass. another source said 15 minutes....I'd lose about 0.15 psi in that test test and again pass so I'm leaking toward saying its good enough......

21. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    No. Sean got jis done but I decided to stay focused on a running engine and hit the axles issue when I move to the suspension rebuild.

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #897 Rifledriver, Feb 1, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    My test is 48 hours at 15 lbs with no loss of pressure or visible leakage. A bore scope will tell you in seconds if there is coolant in the cylinders. I'd also check the crankcase. A pound a minute should not be hard to find. You are testing it filled with water?

JL350 likes this.
  23. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    A lb/min is air at 30psi not coolant. Air at 15psi is 0.5lb/min so currently there is no coolant to see. I could fill the block and rerun the test.

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Finding an air leak requires an act of God. Fill it with water.

JL350 and INRange like this.
  25. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Water is the devil.....I'll see what it does with the evans which I'm pretty sure is more prone to leaking than water but won't rust anything when it does.