275 GT S/B etc Tour | FerrariChat

275 GT S/B etc Tour

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by thepinkumbrella, Jan 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    LVP488, Nembo1777 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  2. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Ciao, why not? They are Italian, used to organise rally's and probably a lot less expensive…

ciao
    Oscar

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The fee for the Hartley & Poulter 275 Tour is Euro € 22'500.
    The fee for the 2022 Factory Cavalcade is Euro € 35'000.

Marcel Massini

4. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Is the 2022 factory tour organised by Canossa? How can you spend 35k in 4 days? I did many events but never spent more than 10-12k.
    Ciao
    Oscar

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes by Canossa.
    They do all Cavalcades including the Cavalcade Classic, the Cavalcade Icona and the Cavalcade Moderne.

Marcel Massini

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Even 22k Euros is nuts. Even if you budget Eur 1000 per night and Eur 1000 per day for food for 2 , what does the 15k buys you? The road map and?

275gtb6c, Nembo1777 and stevenwk like this.
  7. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007

You are cheap Oscar!!
    You even do Tour Auto and MM without any mechanics support and drive from home to the event with your car!! If everyone was like you mechanics and hotels would shut down!!

More seriously yes there is massive mark up on costs even if travelling in luxury hotels etc. Bottom line is that if infatuation of Ferrari owners is supported by the size of their wallets, the sky is the limit and the idea of overpricing events ensures you only meet individuals like yourself…

More than 15 years ago I was participating in a wonderful event and a well known collector had booked all the suites of the hotel. After one day he left with his private jet and his family, but had the courtesy to leave access to the rooms to whoever wanted them as they were paid for the whole week!
    As Jay Leno used to say , car collecting is a hobby where millionaires can rub shoulders with the billionaires. ( actually early on the millionaire or not even had a better car than the billionaire who did not know what he was buying). Today with the help of consultants selling their expertise ( no criticism MM) and deep deep pockets and stellar increase of prices of classic cars, and the services attached to them like spare parts or restoration , there are less and less non millionaires and more super rich . Except for those who started to collect many decades ago and still have their cars or maintained a collection even if individual pieces were bought and sold.

Still there are underpriced cars around , not the bargain car that everyone want but very interesting cars which for whatever reasons are under valued. For example I had ( and I was not the only one) 2 Four cylinder Ferrari ( one barchetta and the ultra rare berlinetta) when some people did not know Ferrari built such engines or thought they were not cars worth collecting!
    And of course there are many other cars which became interesting because of their technology,Design, history and significance in the last 30 years .
    So we Don’t have to chase the same things than the rich and famous if we are not part of that club, and this is also true for events. I will never do the GTO tour,,, I think ,,,but I am not sad about it.

I did 12MM ( and finished 11 times including with a 500MD when we were doing the non stop route Rome to Brescia back in one go, 700km from 6 am to midnight, 15 Tour Auto with SWB, TDF, 2 GTB, Daytona Comp and 250LM, and for non Ferrari with TZ, Stratos and Gullwing. So I am happy that the Uber rich bring their expensive cars and support the hospitality industry and the organizers of those events.
    I remember driving my 250MM from Modena to Gstaad alone via the Gottardo pass and tunnel and being caught by a snow storm on the north exit . Did not stop me driving ! We also ran out of fuel with the 250LM in Tour Auto ( I am sure my co driver of this event who is a member of this chat will dearly remember..) and we left the car on the roadside
    and went hitch hiking to find a gas station ( and we had to go twice because 5 Litres are not enough to prime the pump and start the engine of the car).
    Those experiences the participants of the cavalcade or the 275 Tour 2022 will never come close to. ( incidentally I did the original 2004 275 tour organized by the factory and my late friend Luca Grandori and yes it was LEGENDARY.
    Last and final mention, I took a small Ferrari , a 308GTS to drive across France hopping from Relais chateaux to relais chateaux to go to Le Mans Classic ( last time it happened) while some others are taking their private jet. I spent less than 350euros per day gasoline included and the other ones don’t know what they missed. If they want to join me once for a real experience, I will not even charge them a fee!!

275gtb6c, -K1-, SmokyDave and 13 others like this.
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    :)
    Thank you Sir, for these wonderful recollections.

While I'll likely never be able to afford nor get my (vintage) cars accepted to participate major driving tour events, I too have (privately) enjoyed tens of thousands of long distance leisure travel miles with them over the past 4 decades, savoring the memories for the rest of my life and as long as I'm healthy, hoping to continue to create more.

For variety of reasons, my wife and I have been postponing another 3000+ mile road trip vacation for 3 years already and again, have plans and (some) reservations in place for later this year. Fingers crossed.
    Our choice of ride will be either 65 or 90 years old (yet to be determined), although latter has +/- 70 y.o. drive train, and I'll be the only "mechanic" riding along. ;)

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    According to the website Super Yacht Fan this is owned by Piero Ferrari.

Marcel Massini

10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    There he can play with himself...

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Piero no good?