360 - 360 Modena weight | FerrariChat

360 360 Modena weight

Discussion in '360/430' started by EhellGuapo, Jan 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EhellGuapo

EhellGuapo Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    US model
    2003 Gated
    Half tank of gas
    Electric Daytonas
    Challenge headers
    Test pipes
    Capristo3 valveless
    GruppeM air box covers

I’m coming up with 3212lbs if I add in 70lbs for a full tank and subtract 26lbs for the two cats in the frunk.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Getting ready to try to dump 350lbs off of this pig.

Post your weights and year/specs if you’ve got access to a scale. Or don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

360trev and sherpa23 like this.
  2. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Awesome project! I can’t weight to see where the easiest savings come from.

3. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Need to weigh my pig. Done the cs door panels and sport seats forged wheels and a good amount of titanium screws. 430 forged arms should be going on and with the 430 challenge bushings which use aluminum shafts. So there is a lot of small improvement with the 360.

EhellGuapo likes this.
  4. EhellGuapo

EhellGuapo Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    Seats, brakes/suspension, bumpers, exhaust, and battery will be the biggest ticket items.

All I can say is don’t ever consider “just swapping your Modena springs for the titanium Stradale ones”. That’s how this started. Reading all these guys amazing Stradale conversion/lightening threads got me.

I haven’t added it all up yet but because the the invoices are all in my email but I think I’m about 50-60k so far. I’m getting killed on prices since I’m like the last guy buying the last of some of these items(had to pay 4K for a single Stradale shock). It gonna be pretty sweet though. I think the 360 is the best Ferrari platform to do this on so I’m excited. I try to keep posting weight deltas in this thread so it’s all in one place. I found a lot of it on here but it wasn’t super easy. Thank you to everyone that has done this before me. There’s no way I’d be doing it without them blazing the trail.

I won’t have everything in until March so it’ll be a minute.

Kevin Rev'n and Caphill like this.
  5. EhellGuapo

EhellGuapo Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    That’s awesome, man. I’ve been looking at you, 360trev, and randy6005’s builds. You guys have really done a number on me lol!

I’m thinking real hard about those control arms and just need to determine if they’ll work with the bushings and flamblocks I already have.

Egr, evap, and anything else I can get off of there is coming off. Looking to start on big ticket weight savings and work my way down. Shooting for sub 2900lb curb weight. Randy6005’s work on that stuff has been incredible to take in over the holidays. Definitely not gonna go Randy/Trev wild but I guess talk to me in a year as I’m talking about self control and I just bought all this crap and haven’t stopped yet.

RANDY6005, 360trev and clean512 like this.
  6. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Its never ending with these cars. So much fun. New stuff is not a raw as these older ones but still have tremendous potential.

EhellGuapo likes this.
  7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #7 sherpa23, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Four big weight savers in no particular order:

1) Ditch all of those heave aluminum trim panels inside the cabin and replace with carbon. Especially the door cards.

2) change the electric Daytona seats for one piece challenge seats.

3) change the body parts to CS parts including the glass and deck lid to lexan and a CS deck lid.

4) get a lightweight exhaust like an S line.

Between that and all the tiny things, you will find a good number of pounds gone and it will absolutely transform the car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kevin Rev'n, air993, patina and 5 others like this.
  8. EhellGuapo

EhellGuapo Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    Beautiful. Surely this is the same car that has had some online write ups on it that I’ve seen.
    The CS deck lid and lexan seems like it’s gonna be a problem to source. I’m thinking I’ll have to get another Modena hatch and buy the pro sport piece to attach to it and maybe some custom lexan.

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Probably. It was in Forza last year (I think it was last year?) and I think they put the article online as well.

i will say that trying to do the braces and lexan separately might be an okay idea but if you want the kamm tail of the CS, you need the CS lid. Regardless, there is more than one way to skin a cat and I look forward to seeing what you do to make this what you want to make it.

DiabloTerr and EhellGuapo like this.
  10. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    Anyone know what the interior trim panels weight? I know battery, seats, exhaust are the biggest ticket weight items

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Wow, which Stradale shock is 4K now?!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Love your car

360trev and sherpa23 like this.
  13. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    There is a lexan place in the uk that has everything. And I have a prosport that I might not use. Gonna make my own cs decklid and use the prosport as my pattern. I'm fairly good with tig aluminum.

EhellGuapo likes this.
  14. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I just put my OEM exhaust back together yesterday and it’s HEAVY!

The cats are heavy, the muffler is heavy and even the tail pipes are surprisingly heavy. A titanium exhaust seems like the way to go if you are trying to save weight. The more weight you save the louder it will become for better or worse.

15. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I think a full header back system is a 70+lb weight savings

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

EhellGuapo likes this.
  16. EhellGuapo

EhellGuapo Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    #197020 The last CS rear shock available, they only had one. 2k with a 2k core charge. I found another off a burned car for $300 so I just held my nose averaged the cost to justify it. It pays to be earlier than me on a project like this for sure.

17. EhellGuapo

EhellGuapo Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    I just did Fabspeed headers, test pipes, and an S-Line exhaust on a 458 and it saved almost exactly 50lbs. I was surprised that it wasn't more actually when you look at the S-Line but oh well. That was dropping pre cats, main cats, and any semblance of a silencer.

Unfortunately, I failed to weigh everything when I swapped out the 360 exhaust so I'm using the 458's 50lb loss as a place holder guess until I can get something more concrete. Idk if it really is that much due to the fact that the Capristo is quite a bit beefier than the S-Line.

I'd love it if someone came out with a full titanium(headers included)system that was bent and not welded.

sherpa23 likes this.
  18. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    I have never seen a Titanium System on a 360 that didn't eventually have issues. Happened to those Timate Titanium Systems, Top Speed, etc. I had a long conversation with my mechanic, Vivid Racing, and Novitec about Titanium before I chose a custom straight pipe system to replace my Capristo Lvl. 3

EhellGuapo and sherpa23 like this.
  19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    My contribution to this thread..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

My EU 360 sat back in early 2000's at around 1400 Kg's kerb ( 3086 lbs) so in this photo it shows a healthy -137.5 Kg weight loss which is pretty good. This photo was actually taken an awfully long time ago though, back in 2017 in fact (so 5 years ago now at the time of writing). Back then I was quite happy with 1262.5 Kg's kerb weight (2,783 lbs) which for most people is a job well done but I continued to strip more over the years, kind of like a hobby and obsession :)

Weight loss included lots of parts like lightweight racing flywheel's to full immobilizer and evap system deletes, gearbox end cap deletes, scud floor mats, ccm brake booster (lighter) got fitted and so many other parts (list is endless actually, I really need to update my thread again!). The more weight you shed the more expensive it gets so there are big laws of diminishing returns at some point...

The last time I did this exercise I recall it being circa 1,190 kg Kerb (2,623 lbs) with _some_ fuel in. As a comparison absolute lightest Challenge Stradale was quoted by the factory as having a 1,180kg dry weight (2,600 lbs), with a 1,290kg kerb (2,844 lbs) (best possible options chosen including lexan and stereo delete). So If I use the same yardstick my 360 is approximately 1080 kg dry. Although quite an irrelevant stat as you cannot drive it without fluids but that means as an exercise overall I've achieved a circa 210kg reduction in weight and boy is that a different car...

If I got rid of my electric glass windows and fitted the lexan (which I have), used my 430 GT carbon doors (no crash impact bars, so never fitted them as the weight saved wouldn't help as I'd need to fit a rollcage to compensate), got rid of the aircon and went did a few other things I think its possible to achieve another 30-40kg at the maximum which would yield a full ticket of -250kg loss (551 lbs) from where it started.

RANDY6005, Bas, dhalperin13 and 3 others like this.
  20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    For those that don’t know, @360trev is The Godfather of all of this. Almost everything that I did I pretty much watched him try first and noted how much weight it saved and how it helped.

Kevin Rev'n, Bas, duck.co.za and 5 others like this.
  21. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Well said that's my approach on my build

sherpa23 likes this.
  22. DiabloTerr

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    I remember your car from youtube. I am interested in the S-Line. I have Caprsito Stage 3 currently installed. Is the S-Line louder than the Capristo? It seems like the S-Line is just an X-Pipe with no muffler, so I assume it should be crazy loud but I have never heard one in person.

Ferrari 360 S-Line Exhaust by TWO Create LLC. - YouTube

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Wow, that is my car. I didn't even know that video existed.

Yes, my S-Line is the prototype 360 exhaust. Teague made it and we ran the car up and down on the street outside his old shop so he could see what it sounded like. Everyone who hears it thinks it's pretty amazing. Man, that was a long time ago. I can say that the exhaust (and everything else) has held up very well over the years since.

I am going to have to send the car back to Teague for him to fab up a good harness bar for me to put the OEM 360/F430 harnesses in. Everyone here knows him as an exhaust guy but he is really much more than that. He's the best fabricator I've ever seen and some of the race car things he fabs up are out of this world.

DiabloTerr likes this.
  24. DiabloTerr

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    That video and the pov video has been circulating around the exhaust community for a while since very few audio clips of an S-line on a 360 exist.

I looked up some of the old threads. Is your S-Line Louder than your Capristo 3? At idle, regular driving, and throughout the rev range? A lot of us potential S-Line buyers just do not know what to make of the product since so few audio clips exist for it, so many of us settled for the Cap 3 setup.

25. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    please let us know if he makes a harness bar, i'd be interested!

sherpa23 likes this.