HELP - 458 or 488 purchase (with details) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

HELP - 458 or 488 purchase (with details)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buzz0017, Jan 16, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Ferrari offers you the chance to extend the warranty period by a further 12 or 24 months once the manufacturer’s warranty expires. 100% everything is covered.

They went cheap on you :( and gave you the power warrantee. However I will check and see if Turbos are covered but im sure they are

The New Power extended warranty covers the following components: • engine; • transmission; • suspension; • steering; • electrical system

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Ild worry about the 14 plus compression. Wrong fuel and !!! Also N/A isnt that crash hot with altitude.

3. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell
    Yep signed on the 488 - they’ll be shipping soon!

pninja005, BigJay2050, mdrums and 3 others like this.
  4. rw99

rw99 Karting

Jan 1, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Congratulations on the car! I really do like that spec, very nicely done

Clembo and buzz0017 like this.
  5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Well done !

Enjoy her when she comes.

Always keep her on the charger. Ask if it has a new battery. IMO I would change it as soon as you get her.

Invest in a starter. You will need it one day. The day it doesn't start or the day when your dash lights up like a Christmas tree. DO NOT PANIC. Its just the battery and the car.

buzz0017 likes this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Just checked.

The Turbos are covered by the extended factory warrantee. Not under the power warrantee presumably because its not mentioned. The power warrantee has not been revised for a long time so it could be included.

My dealer cannot say as they haven't had a Turbo failure on the OEM engine yet. They have had 2 with tuned engines and that is a no no so a claim cannot be made.

Having said that in Australia the consumer laws are all geared for the customer. Our governing body that a typical car should run for 10 years plus and 150,000 kms based on the cost. Given the cost of a Ferrari and paying the power warrantee there is absolutely no way Ferrari would not repair the car.

Should look into your consumer laws.

7. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell

Thats great to know, because I'm sure i wouldve panicked

8. twells99

twells99 Rookie

Dec 7, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Sadly, no such protection exists in the UK and Ferrari is well known to reject claims on anything not specified on the coverage.

In the UK, the Ferrari Extended Warranty can only apply in year 4&5, after that the only option is the New Power warranty so on a 2016 there’s no choice.

I’m from the US though and so would be curious to know if it’s different there. Certainly most other manufacturers ‘certified’ or ‘approved’ warranties look much more like the original full coverage warranty.

Anyway, apologies to the OP for the diversion. Congrats on the new car… I find myself looking for any excuse to take it out as it’s a very daily driveable car and I can already tell that this won’t be my last Ferrari (already looking at Pistas). I’ve lurked on fchat for a little while and have learned a ton and understanding some of the quirks (such as the implications for a weak battery) will no doubt lead to a much more positive ownership experience. Oddly (for me), the minor quirks make it seem more special in some ways.

buzz0017 and MANDALAY like this.
  9. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell

What color did you go with and how is it specced out?

10. twells99

twells99 Rookie

Dec 7, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I went with Grigio Ferro with a Nero and Cioccolato interior. It's an unusual combo but really like the way the Cioccolato goes with Ferro. Apologies for the poor resolution interior pic... this was a dealer pic and I need to take some good ones.

Notable options (other than CF bits and racing seats) include JBL hi fi and Apple CarPlay... may seem odd but I was keen on CarPlay

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

italiafan, rw99, buzz0017 and 2 others like this.
  11. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Beautiful Car! Congrats on your new car!

twells99 likes this.
  12. JTT

JTT Karting

Jun 16, 2020
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    J Taylor
    I bought a 488 over a 458 because I liked the overall look of the car. I didn't buy to resell so i bought what I liked better. Regardless of your decision or my opinion, I think you would be happy with both.
    Joe

13. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    With both or with either? :D

14. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell
    Thats a unique interior but it works and its classy, the only problem is your driver seat is on the wrong side!!

Fv81587 and BigJay2050 like this.
  15. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    I was thinking the same thing. :D

buzz0017 likes this.
  16. JTT

JTT Karting

Jun 16, 2020
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    J Taylor
    I am suggesting he by both, although he would be happy with either.
    Joe

BigJay2050 and buzz0017 like this.
  17. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    Congratulations man, I’m a 458 fan and owner but the 488 is still a great car

430jm and buzz0017 like this.
  18. buzz0017

buzz0017 Rookie

Jan 16, 2022
    Edina, MN
    Full Name:
    Charlie Buzzell
    I was thinking about long term game plan. This choice was very difficult between the two, I thought if I went 458 maybe that would pair well with an F8 later on, however with the 488 I think I would pair with a 458 speciale. The speciale might be the perfect compliment - you get the sound, extra special looks, and collectability long term and would drive it less, the 488 would be the more daily drive so to speak

italiafan likes this.
  19. Widebody_Don

Widebody_Don Karting

Apr 16, 2021
    Touchy subject for sure, just google "ferrari 458 price trends" and "ferrari 488 price trends"...you will get carsguru's data on pricing

Sent from my SM-G977U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Viperjoe and 430jm like this.
  20. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    It’s not an apples and oranges, it’s just that the 458 is one really sweet apple and the noise is not a small factor.

Loxo and pnd4pnd like this.
  21. Akajak1

Akajak1 Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
    Classic lol

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. jasuper

jasuper Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Chicago
    Buzz - congrats on the 488 purchase! Absolutely beautiful spec and excited for you. I have a very well optioned 458 (was >$350k new) and am biased to 458s generally, but the spec absolutely matters and bonds you to the car IMO. Both would have been fast, exciting, etc. but that 488 spec was just so well done and special, you will appreciate it more because of it and would have thought about it as one that got away. Good news is you were facing the rare win/win decision but made a fantastic choice. Congrats again and enjoy!!