Ferrari 348 Clutch - Single or Double | FerrariChat

Ferrari 348 Clutch - Single or Double

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Skibzee, Jul 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skibzee

Skibzee Rookie

Jul 29, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I currently have a 1991 348 TS, and the clutch is slipping.
    I had two clutch plates put on about 4 years ago (less than 10,000 miles ago).
    So i presume it's a double clutc; as i need a new clutch i have been told to change it to the later single plate clutch, and to do this i only have to change the flywheel.
    Is this correct, and is the single clutch any better and longer lasting.

Thanks

2. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    From what I understand its a lot more work than just that and can be quite costly.

Do you know what exactly is wrong with the clutch? have you had it inspected? Is the flywheel ok?

There is a chance you could have your clutch resurfaced and that is a lot cheaper than replacing it. I'm no expert mechanic, but since the clutch on my 348 is my biggest problem in life, I know a little about it.

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Welcome to FerrariChat Justin. :):)

You probably cant source the flywheel for the single plate 348 clutches anymore. And even if you did..........you would have a heart attack when you see the price of it Justin. :D:D

Have both your clutch plates re-surfaced. Its a cheap way to get you back on the road. :):)

There is no real proof of the single clutch being any better or lasting longer than the dual clutch. It all comes back to the way you drive the car. :):)

4. Skibzee

Skibzee Rookie

Jul 29, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks for that.
    I'm think going to stick with my double clutch, and just resurface.

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was told that the flyweel for a single clutch is unobtanium, and even if available the cost is well over $2500 IFIC

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Good man, its the way to go. ;);)

Sounds about right Mike. :):)

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Single clutch was the last iteration of the 348 unit. Doubles came in 1989 with the first 348's. It is the singles that are available and the doubles that if any are disappearing. One thing that keeps flywheels healthy is to stick to organic plates. The plates are cheap and still last forever. In a low horsepower and low torque 348 nothing can be gained with kevlar plates. The single was always considered an upgrade. To me however the single is a downgrade. Also remember that a flywheel can be resurfaced and refaced with various surfaces like brass. So even if your flywheel is toast it really is not. I'm pretty sure I could get 1,000,000 miles out of one.

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Both single and double disc clutches are widely available. The flywheel on the other hand is a big problem. Double disc flywheels still exist, but the single disc ones are basically extinct.

Word! (or is that expression dated?) I meant to say A+ !

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The 348 ran from 1989-1994. Does Ferrari realize they started changing to single plate clutch and flywheel in 1991? Do they also realize they converted many double units to singles of the 1989-1991 cars? Only Ferrari can explain why there are no single flywheels. Anyway if your flywheel is not cracked I know it can be refaced (different from resurfaced ground). In other words forget Ferrari you never really need a single plate flywheel anyway.

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Fictitious numbers:

Imagine 1000 double disc flywheels were made for 500 manufactured cars. (89-91)
    Then imagine 1000 single disc flywheels where made for 500 manufactured cars. (92-94)

Now, imagine 400 single disc cars needed a new flywheel during the past 15 years for whatever reason. Finally, lets say that 101 people with double disc cars wanted to convert to a single disc. Voila!

I can't possibly explain their replenishment logic. I live with it daily, and I must say, it baffles me daily.

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't believe anyone else can either :)

12. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    But hey, the single disc replacement is less SPEEENSIVE:)

13. KoreanStallion

Dec 1, 2021
    New York. N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Korean Stallion
    How can I tell if my March 1991 348 has a single or double fly wheel? Any help much appreciated.

14. Christof

Christof Karting

Jun 29, 2014
    Australia
    If you really want to make sure, take off the inspection plate on the bottom of the housing and you can see the clutch plates. If you need take a photo and post it here and we can validate it for you.

15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The 348 SPC indicates that engine SN 24980 and before is double-disk and engine SN 24981 and after is single-disk (you should review SPC pages 21 and 21A) -- but Cristof's suggestion is best as it may have already been mucked with ;).

16. KoreanStallion

Dec 1, 2021
    New York. N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Korean Stallion
    Thank Christof & Steve. I'm a beginner DIYer and want to avoid removing the inspection plate. Hence, is there a sticker that shows the engine number? Or is there some way of cross referencing a Ferrari database with my VIN?

17. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The 348 engine family and engine serial number are shown here (see your 348 OM Section A):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The F... is the engine family.
    The number between the "stars" is the engine serial number.

JLF likes this.