advice on leaking overflow tank | FerrariChat

advice on leaking overflow tank

Discussion in '206/246' started by vrooom, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    my overflow /expansion tank has developed a pinhole leak (pictured ). need advice as to repair or replace with new - would be very simple for me to braze it (bronze filler ) but considering it's old and possible future leaks would replacement be the smarter choice ? who would be a good source for an (original style ) tank ?
    thanks, dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

As we discussed, Performance Radiator can clean it out, repair it, repaint it to match the original, and pressure test it. On the other hand, I found these on Superformance UK's website. Remember the prices are in GBP.

3. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    I had a similar pin hole appear a few years ago. I remember every thing else being fine, just a pin hole near the water/air interface. Cleaned up the pin hole area and repaired with silver solder (note not soft solder). Unfortunately I don’t have a photo of the repair process, however, here it is after clean and primer paint. Nice to keep the original if you can.....
    Kevin

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I was going to have my leak soldered, but when I stripped the tank, it became apparent that the one I saw was just the first to be visible – several more were about to open up. I went with a replacement…

Rifledriver and synchro like this.
  5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Both - clean up your original with a patch and test then also buy a new one.
    You're in it for the long haul and these will only get more expensive (...am I good at rationalizing expensive car parts purchases or what!).

Be aware that should you use Performance Radiator in the Seattle area, the first thing they do is weld/braze their unsightly long ID tag to your item and never remove it, so it will be delivered to you that way.

Eric and the crew at GTO Engineering have purchased the rights and tooling to produce FIM tanks and FIM radiators and that is where all new are coming from for a variety of Ferraris. They are quite good and are in a flat finish which gets scuffed VERY easily so rattle can it with ceramic clear matte to preserve their finish
    https://www.gtopartsshop.com/en-us/ferrari/cs11419n_new_fim-246-dino-header-coolant-tank_part-no-104523

When you remove the tank, do take care to catch the stepped black shock washers and FIAT 80 bolts, tough to find.
    Also, make sure you're running a correct .9bar cap and that it is working.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    When these start to pinhole, game over, it mainly happens at the water line where water / oxygen meet. That is the point where rust begins and one pinhole will undoubtedly be the first of many. Unfortunate but ditch it as you will always be wondering when it will spring a leak next.

Some were made of brass and more durable.

As above posts, buy a new one.

Tony

PS step washers (and decal) are available from Superformance.

synchro and pshoejberg like this.
  7. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    thanks all for your inputs ! since i plan on keeping my dino for the foreseeable future i decided to buy a new tank from GTO engineering in L.A. . as tony said i would always be wondering when my original would leak again .

synchro likes this.
  8. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    I just replaced my leaking tank with a new one from GTO (it was leaking at the seam, which looks like it had been repaired once).

Is there any virtue in considering to keep the old one, or should I just recycle/scrap?

Seems like both are quite similar (I thought the new one might be steel but neither are magnetic). There are a few minor differences in the fittings geometry.

The “don’t throw anything away” mantra has been engrained into my head, but at the same time I don’t want to collect junk! Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If the tank is brass then it can be saved, if it is steel then you can keep it for posterity, attempt a repair which wont last long or throw it away!

Best with the new one and peace of mind.

Tony

10. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    Thanks Tony. I definitely plan to use the new one (it’s already installed :) ). My question is whether there is any value in keeping the old one, or should I dispose of it.

I do believe both are brass, based on neither being magnetic.

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Greg
    If its brass construction then its worth saving as an original item but the rebuild cost could outweigh the value of the item. Steel tanks are not worth saving as the corrosion is always along the water line and manifests itself as pin holes. Repair one and another appears later on, possibly when on the move when its at greater pressure. In this case recycle imho

Some people just like original parts so a brass tank will have value.

Tony

12. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    Thanks Tony. In this case I just put it in a box in the basement because it does appear original.. who knows, maybe some day my new one will go, and replacements won’t be available, and I can repair & refurb the original (or have 2 to work with anyway). I appreciate the insights as always. Cheers!

swift53 likes this.