Maserati MC20 | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So attempted theft is OK? ;) :p
    Mark is correct.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well I buy lots of classic car magazines every year but almost never new car mags, modern plastic electronic cars do nothing for me....but now I am intrigued and will get this, thanks for mentioning it:) It seems he can write nicely.

3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Best test of cars comes in the German magazine SPORT AUTO. They very hard testing all sorts of sports cars on the old Nürburgring, on the F1-Hockenheimring, do brake-, aerodynamic- and balance test and also check that the engine performamce-figures are correct and no *little modified* by the manufacturers...
    Their testing program is the benchmark for all magazines in EU.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/sport-auto-1/
    https://shop.motorpresse.de/zeitschriften/automobil/sport-auto/einzelhefte/

Their high-speed test can also found on YouTube. For example:

4. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
  5. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Hmmm...is this a "test"???? Definitely not. Driving mostly on the straight means nuttin`! There was only a very short footage on a more curvy track (?) when they were wearing a helmet. But thats all. The rest is a little blah-blah...

Ferraripilot likes this.
  6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Reviews I've seen today all positive. I think its worth premium over Porsche turbo and slots in nicely under 720s. Spider and track versions should be equally well placed. Will be big hit

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I like it. Its not too hardcore but really fast and certainly beautiful. I want a convertible though.

I do like that motor.

8. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    MOTORTREND

2022 Maserati MC20 First Drive: Italian Cookin’
    The MC20 takes Maserati to another level.
    Jan 26, 2022

It was difficult to envision a bright future for Maserati just a couple of years ago. The Italian automaker had only three products in its lineup, with all of them struggling to perform in a competitive market. Although the design was there, the product quality was not. The 590-hp Maserati Levante Trofeo, for instance, finished fifth out of five in a MotorTrend comparison that included the BMW X3 M and X6 M Competition, Mercedes-AMG GLE63S, and Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe. To say the marque was underperforming was an understatement.

Positive things were happening behind the scenes, however. In 2015, when Ferrari became a publicly traded company and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (now Stellantis) had the time and money to focus on the Trident brand, Maserati engineers began developing the "Nettuno" engine that would serve as the heart of its next halo car—the 2022 Maserati MC20, a 621-hp mid-engine supercar.

Relaunching the brand with a supercar wasn't an easy decision, but it seems to be working. Battling other Italians like the Lamborghini Huracán EVO and even the Ferrari F8 Tributo, the Maserati MC20 looks excellent on paper: It boasts a twin turbo V-6, eight-speed dual-clutch transmission, multilink suspension, Brembo brakes, and a 0-62-mph time of 2.9 seconds, according to Maserati. (We estimate its 0-60 time at 2.7.)

But how does it feel in real life? Is the 2022 Maserati MC20 as good as it looks? Can it really compete against other European supercars? We headed to Willow Springs International Raceway and drove a few laps before heading out to the surrounding public roads to find out.

Made For The Track
    Coming onto Willow Springs' long front straight at wide-open throttle, engine note playing behind us, filled the cabin with adrenaline. Letting fourth gear get to the 8,000-rpm redline with our back pushed against the seat while flying down the track felt as fun as it can get. That's until we hit the first corner and experienced the MC20's planted feeling and spectacular grip while lateral g forces built as we hit the apex.

Many details make the 2022 Maserati MC20 a special car, but its heart is most impressive. "Nettuno," or "Neptune" in Italian, features 12 spark plugs and 12 combustion chambers, dry-sump lubrication, and variable valve timing. Its exact 3,000cc displacement cranks 621 hp and 538 lb-ft of torque, and all of it is delivered to the rear wheels.

Between the carbon-fiber chassis tub and the multilink suspension at all four corners, the MC20 handles with confidence on the track. We pushed harder and harder, lap after lap, and the more we got to know the car, the more confident we felt. The tub makes the MC20 one of the lightest supercars in its class—about 3,300 pounds, Maserati says— and it shows on the track; we didn't feel like we were piloting a wide and long supercar. We spent our time driving in Corsa mode, which is intended for the track. Paired with the transmission in manual mode, and the MC20 turns into a beast.

Driving through corners highlights the steering's magnificent tuning. Simply point the car's nose where you want to head next and shoot. It isn't as precise as Porsche's, but it delivers nearly the same kind of feeling.

While acceleration is strong, we really had to press hard on the brakes to reduce speed. With six-piston calipers at the front and four at the rear, you'd think they would react better. The pedal delivers a linear and consistent feeling, but the initial bite isn't as strong as you find in other supercars. Of course, the more force you apply, the harder the Brembo calipers grab the discs. But it took a bit longer for us to get used to their performance.

If there's one thing missing, it's a glorious engine note. The Nettuno engine doesn't sound weak, but it isn't as sonorous as a Lamborghini or Ferrari. Even at full throttle and with the rpms nearly at the redline, we wish there was more music to our ears.

On The Street
    Driving on public roads revealed the 2022 Maserati MC20 can easily work as a daily driver. It's a supercar that's easy to control and doesn't beat you up. That's partly because of the driving modes: Switching from Corsa to Sport or GT will make the MC20 tamer. Plus, you can adjust the adaptive dampers to a softer setting if the ride feels a bit stiff.

Although the public routes around Willow Springs are not the twistiest, we headed to Cameron Road, an artery we use during our MotorTrend Of The Year events and one that blends nice corners with elevation changes and dips. We noted how easy the MC20 is to drive. Whether it's going up a steep hill or easing off the brakes when entering a corner, this Italian supercar handles like you'd expect, with great power, amazing cornering, and pure fun.

A button on the steering wheel can raise the nose when approaching a dip or obstacle in the road, but we didn't need to use it during our drive. Speaking of the road, the steering delivers a good sensation of what's happening beneath you, though it's tuned on the softer side. Contrary to what you'd expect, it's effortless but feels well balanced.

A Driver's Cabin
    You can tell where Maserati put its money with the MC20. Once you strap inside, the minimalist cabin certainly doesn't feel lavish or elegant. A 10.0-inch touchscreen is the main attraction, with an infotainment system that's easy to use and has nice graphics. Take a closer look around the cockpit, and you'll see nice stitching throughout on the seats, dashboard, and door panels.

The buttonless interior contributes to the minimalism—you'll need to use the touchscreen to control the A/C, for example. Besides the giant knob to select the drive mode and the two buttons for the transmission (there's no park or neutral, only drive and reverse), the center console is simple in its design. Window controls and a volume knob that can also cycle through music tracks are located closer to the small center stack compartment.

Although the 2022 Maserati MC20 can be a great daily driver, drivers may wish for more places to put belongings, as there are no cubbies or cupholders. But passenger room is sufficient. Even with a racing helmet on, my head didn't hit the headliner, and I still had some spare room. Visibility is also decent for a car like this, and the seats are pretty comfortable and supportive on the sides.

Is It Worth The Price?
    The 2022 Maserati MC20 is one of the most anticipated new sports cars, and its success or lack thereof in the market will have a big impact on Maserati's future. Besides the coupe, the marque will launch a cabriolet version later this year, with a battery electric version also on the way soon. So far, it seems like the recipe is working: Maserati says it has sold all the 2022 model year MC20s allocated for the U.S., at a starting price of $215,995. Orders for 2023 MC20s won't open for another few months.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-maserati-mc20-supercar-first-drive-review/?wc_mid=4035:22533&wc_rid=4035:851785&_wcsid=7E6F58C104438B4C2E39377C1D9156F23197B93C1E24E1C3

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  10. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have been watching this thread since the beginning and don’t recall if anybody has commented on this and if this is true. I am going to be moving to Wisconsin in a couple of months. I really would like to get an MC 20 spider. I called the dealer up there concerning allocations and their purchase process. Salesman told me that in order to get on the list for a potential allocation, I must submit a $10,000 deposit which goes directly to Maserati corporate. Deposit is nonrefundable. Is this what everybody else’s experiences? I haven’t seen this discussed to my knowledge.

11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    agree. Boring and hardly a thorough review. I personally can't stand 'the smoking tire' channel.

BD-Chrono likes this.
  12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    lots of erroneous rumors on this from poor communication between Dealer Staff/Dealer and Auburn Hills to Modena.

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  14. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Does anyone know what is the real deal. I want a spider, but not sure I am ready to put up a 10k deposit for a car not yet in production.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  16. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I am struggling with the car, despite having driven it

I love it but can't decide on whether to wait for the spyder/scud version /spyder scud version

17. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
  19. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    saw that as well, was just going to post it. Bidding levels are interesting 3 bids. $100, $2,000, $250,395

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Too soon to put a car like this up for bidding. 6 months from now it will get more interest.

21. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    As they say ... the early bird gets the worm. I bet there are at least two people on BaT that are willing to pay a good premium just to say they have the only MC20 in their neighborhood.

Ivan

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think interest in the MC20 will grow when more hit the streets.

23. spaghetti

spaghetti Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    SC, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob Satterfield