This is a nice day for... | FerrariChat

This is a nice day for...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Silentnoiz, Jan 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    I told my wife before we got engaged that I would own a Ferrari someday, whether or not I could afford it.

Before I bought my FCar, anytime we we were driving somewhere and it was a nice day, I would always say "this is a nice day for a drive in a Ferrari".

Eventually, she was gracious enough to let me make the purchase I had talked about for some time.

So now, when it is a nice day, and we are driving somewhere in the FCar, I still say "this is a nice day for a drive in THE Ferrari" with a massive smile on my face. I appreciate my wife, she doesn't care much for it, but knows that I do.

I'd be interested to know how others' wives think about their FCar.

2. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Exact same as you. She doesn’t care for it because it’s sexy and awesome (I guess). However she knows I worked my bean bag off for it so she will do date night in it, that’s about it. She says she misses my Porsches… Pfff whatever.

RedTaxi and Thomas S. like this.
  3. norphaedrus

norphaedrus Rookie

Sep 26, 2011
    Atlanta
    We were driving past some horse farms close to our house one day and she was watching the horses prance and frolic. She looked at me with that look and said you know what I'm thinking?

In that moment I knew she wanted me to buy a Ferrari..and I did.

Turns out our non verbal communication needs some work.

Like your wife she appreciates that it means something to me. I'm grateful for that.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reacherman1022, BDM348 and Thomas S. like this.
  4. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I always find it amusing when guys talk about needing permission, or even agreement, from a spouse to make a purchase. I just don't get it. My money, so... I buy what I want, when I want, without needing permission or affirmation.

5. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Noblesville, IN
    Like many here, I wanted a Ferrari since I was a kid. Also like many here I would read the reviews of the different models and look
    At them online. This continued for many years - until 3 years ago when my wife said “why haven’t you bought one??? You’ve wanted one for so long - you should get one”.

Neither of us have ever needed to “ask permission” to buy things but we always talk about big purchases together. So…after some searching I found a yellow 2007 430 Spider. It has been a wonderful car and a pleasure to own and drive. Attached is a pic of me pulling her into the garage the day I picked it up.

While she has rarely driven it, she often suggests we need to take it out for a drive. It has been a wonderful experience and we are both very happy with it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I told my wife if i didnt get a ferrari before i was 35 i would divorce her, she was really mad, i got my ferrari at age 35 and im still married....

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  7. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    My wife only says two things regarding my Ferrari: "Don't drive like a maniac" and "I'll take the Ferrari to the next class reunion". ;)

8. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    After years of looking at and wanting a Ferrari we finally decided it was time. After narrowing down the choices to an F430 Coupe and colors I figured it would take months to find the right one. I landed in Australia a few days later on a work trip to find that my wife had found the perfect 430 (pic she posted to FB that I saw when I landed) and had made arrangements for the purchase. It was a long two week work trip as I wanted to get home and pick up the new ride. Over two years of enjoyment for the two of us now. It probably goes without saying that I have an awesome wife.

9. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Boy I'm glad somebody said it. Thanks for posting. Agree 100% with your comment. If a man needs permission to buy a car after he's probably bought just about everything for his wife and family I think he should have the testicular fortitude to do it without asking. Time to man up.

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  10. norphaedrus

norphaedrus Rookie

Sep 26, 2011
    Atlanta
    I think you guys are reading too much into it. There is some playfulness in the comments. Don't worry - your manhood is intact and noted. Ha.

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Exactly.
    My wife and I both work and we both make our own money. We split expenses and are so aligned with our goals and tastes that on most life purchases we simply agree on and somehow just work out who's paying for what. But with that said neither of us believe our happiness is linked to how much money we have or what we can buy.

Funny that one of my customer's asked if his wife could call me to discuss some details about a Christmas gift she was getting him. His comment: "don't really understand why, I should just buy it for myself as she doesn't work and it's my money anyway".

When I met my wife and we started dating, she eventually saw the Ferrari. She has a great appreciation for the car and it's beauty but never really had that "pie eyed" moment-- and that's when I was convinced she was really more into me than what car I was driving. We have a great marriage.

BlacktopRacing and Texas Forever like this.
  12. norphaedrus

norphaedrus Rookie

Sep 26, 2011
    Atlanta
    Congrats on the purchase and post pics.

13. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am really lucky - my S/O (not technically "wife" but might as well be) is as much of a car enthusiast as I am (just not as long) and we went from "wow - would be a nice day for a drive in a Ferrari" to "wow this is a nice day for a drive in THE Ferrari" to "wow this is a nice day to take the cars out" after she procured her dream car which was an amazing Lotus Elise :) We actually have walkie-talkies and chat with each other while driving - too much fun - pretending we are "Top Gear :) The way I see it is she works hard and I work hard and while some people scoff at spending money on cars, watches, shoes (her not me) is extravagant, for us it is a part of a great relationship - Again, I am quite lucky - in many ways :)

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
  15. norphaedrus

norphaedrus Rookie

Sep 26, 2011
    Atlanta
    The Elise looks so tiny. My wife likes the Lotus as well. Nice to have something to row gears in when the mood strikes. Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Very very nice! Might just be the lighting but looks like the Scud stripes match the Evora - luck or plan?

Cheers :)

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  18. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    Is it just me getting weekly allowance from my wife?

Vegas CS likes this.
  19. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I typically need to buy Jessica something very expensive and shiny before I can make a big ticket purchase, but I bought the Ferrari right before we met.
    She said, "Can I drive the Ferrari?". I answered, "Honey, but you don't know how to drive a stick shift", to which she replied, "That's okay, I can learn on your car!".

RedTaxi and Freddan like this.
  20. norphaedrus

norphaedrus Rookie

Sep 26, 2011
    Atlanta
    Yeah, just lighting as the stripes are more red.

21. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
  22. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I told wifey I was off to look at at a car. Came home with a manual 430. Wifey didn't speak to me for a week. Guy at work said win win!
    She does like it and wants to drive it. I said when you can drive my manual BMW smoothly you can. She gave up bunny hopping my BMW years ago.

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  23. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Every marriage/relationship/wife is different. If you got married later in life after you already had "your money," or you have a wife that really doesn't care, or you have "FU" money so buying a Ferrari without advance discussion won't require four years of post-purchase marriage counseling, then I totally get it. But my marriage is different. Married at 22, I had to buy her 750.00 engagement ring with a credit card, she put me through law school, and although she doesn't work (anymore, we got four young-ish kids and a crazy life), she is literally every bit my equal (if not superior) in every conceivable category (intellectual, work ethic, judgment, common sense lol, etc....). Its why I was so attracted to her in the first place, so I knew what I was getting into before I married her. So with that said, I don't exactly "ask permission," but big purchases are definitely discussed, because, well, I'd be living in a condo by myself in Tucson right now otherwise!

24. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I'm the opposite of an impulse purchaser. I look long (2 years for the last one) and hard to find just the right car. By the time I find what I'm looking for she's figured it out.

KC360 FL likes this.
  25. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    Everyone should live their lives as they see fit. I'm sure everyone's relationship with their wife varies. I view mine as a partnership, which doesn't mean I ask for 'permission', don't just do as I 'want', but rather, I seek to live in harmony...it's an entirely different level of respect and habitation than a me-first/only approach.

I really enjoy reading people's positive responses and their experiences with their journey and how that relates with their wives.

I've had my ride for 4 years and my wife still hasn't driven it. When the perfect time arrives, I still try to talk her into learning to drive it, but she isn't very interested. Maybe that's a good thing? :D