458 - Help Crazy Faults | FerrariChat

458 Help Crazy Faults

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Joff Clarke, Jan 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joff Clarke

Joff Clarke Karting

Sep 21, 2017
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    John Clarke
    Hello everyone. I hope someone can help me with this. I love my 458 but I'm getting super frustrated. My car throws codes constantly. AVH, CST, Mannetino, Charging System Failure plus lord knows what else. I have replaced the battery and that fixed it for about a week and then right back to the lights. They clear after recycling the key a couple of times. I leave it on the trickle charger every night and have hooked up my battery charger at 10amps overnight once a week but still having issues. It shows 16.8 amps charging at idle which is way too high I think? Now it's getting so that the starter won't work unless I recycle the key three or four times. I've been lucky so far that it has not stranded me, but I need to figure this out. Closest authorized dealer is 6 hours away so I hope I can get this sorted out myself.
    Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Battery terminals clean and snug? Maybe a loose connection somewhere.. Ground straps and damaged wires in general are notorious for causing hard-to-diagnose problems. I suppose you could try pulling fuses one at a time to see what systems affect the charging current.

Joff Clarke likes this.
  3. Joff Clarke

Joff Clarke Karting

Sep 21, 2017
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    John Clarke
    Thank You PM
    I have checked the battery terminals and grounds. I guess the next thing would be pulling fuses to find out what system.
    Its such a shame. I love this car but in 6 months of ownership I've had more headaches than 20 years of Porsche ownership.

4. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Apologies if you have read this before . . . . I know with my 458 I now wait a good ten seconds after turning the key before hitting the engine start button. When I first got the 458 I got those codes all the time. If I hit engine start too soon not all the tests have run and I would get all the error codes you have mentioned, the car would go into wet mode and tell me to take it to the dealer. I watch the left tft screen to see all the tests finish (other than oil) before hitting engine start.

Rob

Rexcat458 likes this.
  5. Joff Clarke

Joff Clarke Karting

Sep 21, 2017
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    John Clarke
    Hi Rob I actually read your post and followed the instructions religiously but unfortunately the same results my friend. Thanks Though

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    You have had it only 6 months you say.

Well if you replaced the battery with a NEW one there is a charging issue.

16.8 volts is wrong.

Has this car been repaired ? Was it bought from a Ferrari dealer ?

7. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    6 hours to the nearest dealer and 16+ amps charging, not voltage. So it’s a bit of a pickle

8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Put your multimeter on the battery terminals and watch it while you crank the engine. What does the voltage drop to? It should maintain 9.5v or above. If less, check wiring circuit for starter, especially grounds. Check resistance of the battery cables as well.

It could possibly be a starter going bad if the voltage drop is too much.

9. Joff Clarke

Joff Clarke Karting

Sep 21, 2017
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    John Clarke
    Bought from Ferrari in Chicago and no repairs so far

10. Joff Clarke

Joff Clarke Karting

Sep 21, 2017
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    John Clarke
    I'm thinking you may be right about the starter. It was taking several tries to catch and turn over the engine.

11. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Ahhh, and I got sidetracked. The point I was getting to is if the voltage drop is excessive, it will cause an array of faults like you described.

Joff Clarke likes this.
  12. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Alternator , Starter, Battery....thats where i'd start ...sucks you're having these issues, my 458 was pretty reliable i had it a year put 11k miles on it, only big issue was the dreaded Transmission sensors $9k fix (so not huge deal )

Joff Clarke likes this.
  13. Widebody_Don

Widebody_Don Karting

Apr 16, 2021
    Charge your AGM battery in cold weather mode 14.7v, then try it.

My ctek charger manual states this about AGM type of batteries. On the Ctek charger, the mode has a snowflake symbol for cold weather.

Let me know!

Sent from my SM-G977U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
  15. Joff Clarke

Joff Clarke Karting

Sep 21, 2017
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    John Clarke
    I finally found out the issue. It traced back to a loose connection from when the radar was installed. Tightened everything up and boom No More Problems. I can't believe something so simple caused such a problem. Ferrari's Ugh Love em and hate em lol

Rexcat458, Ianjoub, Il Tifoso and 2 others like this.
  16. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Joff Clarke likes this.
  17. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Eesa Engineering Italiano. Whadaya expect, eehh?

Joff Clarke likes this.
  18. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    John, Thanks for reporting back the fix. It's so helpful for those who end up with a similar issue in the future. Have fun with her now that's she's running right.
    Frank

Joff Clarke likes this.