Best little towns in northern Wisconsin? | FerrariChat

Best little towns in northern Wisconsin?

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Gershwin, Dec 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Looking for a fishing outback cottage/lodge get away in northern Wisconsin or UP Michigan. But I’m really looking for proximity to a charming small town appeal. Really perhaps even near the border. Thoughts suggestions?

2. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    There aren’t any? Lol

SirTony76 likes this.
  3. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I grew up in the area and we still have a “Cottage” there. I would recommend looking in the Door County peninsula area. Lots of water all around. Lots of quaint villages with good restaurants and stuff to do off the water. And easy and relatively quick to get to from Green Bay or Appleton airport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_County,_Wisconsin

alex and Gershwin like this.
  4. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Door County is the Midwest's Cape Cod. If that's what you want, there's nothing like it elsewhere. Recent WSJ article suggests it's been discovered by others than just 'Wewillannoy" to the South.
    What time of year?

slm likes this.
  5. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    No "cottages" in northwestern Wisconsin, but we have some mighty fine cabins! Not sure where the "cottage/cabin line" actually lies. Perhaps somewhere near Appleton? Anyone?

6. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Try the Lake Nebagemon area.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #7 2NA, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  8. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Ha! A special watering hole on the way to Bayfield for Big Top events. I like to play "trail boss" and choose fun stops. This one is a "bloody" favorite!

2NA likes this.
  9. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Bayfield and Hayward can be very pretty. Door county is very popular. Minoqua is where many of my southern Wi friends go. Delafield in the SE part of the state is a nice little town for a night if you’re passing through on your way up north. Remember to allot for the 5 hour long “Midwest goodbyes” when meeting people. :)

10. NigelBlack

NigelBlack Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Eagle River area, and then take a day drive up to the Porcupine Mountains and check out the Lake of the Clouds.

The WI chapter of the FCA does an annual drive (or 2) up into Door County, perhaps tag along to check it out.

alum04org likes this.
  11. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    www.stgermaincabin.com This is my place and you can rent it. It's on Big St. Germain lake. It's a duplex so you can rent one side or the other or both sides as they connect through the closet. A true Northwoods cabin.

12. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Cool place!!

VelocityTexas likes this.
  13. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Eagle River! No question. Our family has been there since the 1930's. They have the chain of lakes (28 lakes) that has great fishing and is the most beautiful spot on earth as far as I'm concerned. Pack a lunch and enjoy a whole day out there! Boat Sport is on HWY70 just out of Eagle River 3miles that is on the chain, you can rent whatever type of boat you which there and bam, you're gold. sorry, I just saw this thread now. St. Jermaine is quaint and is like 17miles East along with other tiny towns up there. Many with bars/restaurants/motels on some water. There's over 1,300 lakes in Vilas Co. You won't be disappointed! Oh, their referred as both cabins or cottages - MOSTLY as cottages though.
    Jim

14. swc5150

swc5150 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Scott Calderwood
    Eagle River is great. I grew in Spread Eagle, about an hour east, which is my favorite of all, but I'm biased. Great driving roads up there for sure!

JohnnyRay likes this.