Ferrari 296 GTS - Targa or Spider ?? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 296 GTS - Targa or Spider ??

Discussion in '296' started by F2003-GA, Jul 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Front little white light should match the cut line, not sure about the design on this one, I want to like it. maybe it will grow on me once we see it up close.

Personally I would like to see Ferrari move back to Pininfarina.

Senad likes this.
  2. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    I wonder why topic about 296 is F8 replacement or not, make so many emotion. It's some kind of frightening than Ferrari will not producing traditional non hybrid mid-engine V8 anymore?

3. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Yes.

JTSE30 likes this.
  4. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Also, it's silly not to make an F8 VS. They are leaving money on the table.

5. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    The F8 was firstly not supposed to exist, but the 296 being delayed, Ferrari needed something to propose to their customers: here is the F8, which mechanically is a simple facelift of the 488 Pista.
    The F8 could also be considered as a 488 « VS » Modificata.

Senna1994 and JTSE30 like this.
  6. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Yes, I am familiar with the history of the F8. I still think it's silly not to offer another special version. As I said, Ferrari is leaving money on the table. Even if they made only 500 coupes and 500 spiders, there's substantial profits in the VS cars.

456-boy likes this.
  7. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    this 2 cylinders make any diffrence? no matter it's 8 or 6 you still have crappy turbo sound. more dissapointed will be somoeone who waiting for Lamborghini Huracan replacment cuz it will get turbo V8 from Urus and glorious V10 NA will be dead

8. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    I always loved Turbo cars, especially for street driving. I drove a Roma and can tell you the work that Ferrari did to minimize lag is very impressive.
    Only the sound remains an issue for some, but it still sound good, and what you give up in sound you make up in acceleration, it is a good trade off

9. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The F8 is a better exhaust note away from perfection :)

Senna1994 likes this.
  10. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I'm hearing it's going to be a targa... just to throw more confusion into the mix. Don't see how the folding top can go anywhere.

That being said, if it truly will be a targa I'll pass and go GTB.

11. DQSF

DQSF Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dennis Q
    Wow Targa? Did not see that coming. If that’s the case will likely stick with coupe longterm.

I have an order in for GTB. With GTS on the horizon, does any one have any experience or feedback on switching a coupe order to a spider? Dealer has basically pushed hard for buying the coupe and then trading in for GTS. But not sure how well a ~1yr ownership cycle would work for me. Have folks successfully deferred their build to a spider once announced? Or should I be getting my deposit for the GTS in now ahead of announcement?

12. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    You likely can go straight to Spider/Targa order, but will obviously have to wait longer (as they weren't released at the same time)... Likely just depends on the dealer and their "methods".

13. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Most dealers I have worked with will give priority to those who ordered a GTB when it comes to ordering a spider to the point where you won't be able to put a deposit down on the latter unless you have an order in for the former. There is no switching of deposit either, you'll have to take delivery of the GTB and then trade it against the Spider.

But like Keith said, different dealers have different methods.

14. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    There is already a VS F8. It’s called a Pista. They even have the same engine.

15. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Oh really? I've never heard of this car. You say it's called a Pista and it's the version speciale of the F8? How interesting. Let me check my files. I have detailed files of all Ferrari automobiles.

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah after they sold out the special version they went and released a redesigned, unspecial version of that car and changed the name to something new.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahahaha!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ryalex likes this.
  18. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Well at least you didn't have to buy a Lusso to get one.

ryalex likes this.
  19. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    #169 Forza Scuderia, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    All kidding aside, this shouldn’t even need to be said as it’s kind of stating the obvious, but some times the obvious needs to be stated.

The Pista is the VS of the 488. The F8 is a less track focused more streetable Pista. Therefore there will not be a VS of the F8.

The calls for or speculation of a VS version of the F8 are not going to see fruition. Ferrari will not be issuing yet another iteration of the 458 platform and architecture, which is over 10 years old. For their own self respect.

In the thread I launched two years ago discussing the 15 anticipated models that were to launch through 2022, I warned everyone that if you wanted a mid-engine non-hybrid V8 Ferrari, the F8 was your last chance.

Ferrari does not have to stick to the same playbook they have used before. They don’t want to be completely predictable and they adapt to changing times and circumstances.

I understand that it’s doing some peoples’ head in that Ferrari released a more streetable version of a VS car but don’t make the mistake of assuming that there is now going to be a VS squared version of THAT car as it is itself a derivative of the VS.

There is no F8 VS coming. Nor is there any other version of the 458 lineage platform. It’s over. And speculation around it should really cease as well.

That’s why it was called The Tribute. Ferrari was coming right out telling you “That’s all folks!”

JTSE30, 456-boy, mkraft3003 and 2 others like this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

IMO it aint over until the fat lady sings.

2022 is 75 year anniversary . 296 is really late. Good way to cash in a few more cars.;)

ryalex likes this.
  21. ARAUJO77

ARAUJO77 Rookie

Sep 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Héctor Araujo
    According to this video from Varryx, it seems that it definitely will be a targa, my guess is that it will use the same system as the SF90 spider but with a bar joining both buttresses, where the third brake light is housed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    If targa, will it be collapsible and easy to store in the vehicle? If not, it is a hard pass for me.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My intel says GTS targa, not a power folding top.

MANDALAY likes this.
  24. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Only $190,000 in Tailor Made options for my Effervescent Barnacle cream paint with green pearl over a custom tennis-racket-inspired interior.

I don't see it that way, but I concede that I was a skeptic that post-IPO Ferrari would have any sort of restraint and thought that an F8 VS was going to be an end-of-run surprise. Then again, they didn't make an F8 Challenge. I suspect they got messed up by COVID and needed to get a jump on the next Huracan.

25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I cant think of any Targa that didnt have the space to store the Top.

If one piece it will be behind the seats. If 2 pieces it will be the frunk or behind the seat so as to not lose storage space.

jumpinjohn likes this.