Exhaust Wrap | FerrariChat

Exhaust Wrap

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JM280z, Jan 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Hey All,

I’ve seen some old threads on this but no one posted pics or discussed results years after wrapping. I hope to spark some conversation on actual results of wrapping, years and 10k miles later

Retaining heat in the exhaust system leads to higher rates of cylinder scavenging (burnt gases leaving cylinder so new air can get in) by increasing the heat of the exhaust temps, which increases speed of the exhaust flow.

Advantages:
    -power: will be seen on a dyno but probably not felt
    -reduced engine bay temps: important in my F430 when modifying from stock headers to aftermarket which run hotter
    -looks: probably irrelevant

Disadvantages:
    -increased corrosion: moisture held to metal under the wrap
    -risk of it coming undone, slowly disintegrating causing engine bay mess
    -fire hazard: wrap soaking in oil

I’m mainly concerned by increased corrosion. I ceramic coated my exhaust inside and out, then wrapped it with high-end DEI volcanic ash/titanium wrap. I hope the combination reduces risk of corrosion. Plus, the engine bay doesn’t get as much road oil due to the plastic panel. Stainless steel s-line exhaust, AP headers and Top Speed sport cars- F430.

When people complain about corrosion from wrap, it seems it’s on daily driven cars with assumingely cheap steel exhaust. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Does anyone have experience of what wrap did years later to a stainless steel system driven <4K miles/year and not subjected to rain/snow/salt/etc?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    would be interested to know also

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #3 Auraraptor, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Which ceramic coating did you go with?

I was always told w the coatings:
    1) its important to run the car and have it go through several heat cycles before doing anything to them or the coating may not fully take. The worst case/scenario being scraping/rubbing/brushing up on something before it fully cured/set. Wrapping too early or in a manner that may hurt said coating would be sub-optimal if this is true. (and that is a big if). Now that was years ago and coatings I am sure have come a long way....so take with a large grain of salt.

I am not sure if Galvanic corrosion is an issue with long term contact between SS and Volcanic Ash/Ti mesh?

4. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I used a performance race shop for the ceramic coating. It wasn't cheap ($1200). They're professionals. I didn't wrap it until 2 months after I got the parts back. I am sure they properly baked it all too. All the hardware and clamps were ceramic coated too, inside and out! Receipt says, "Ciloxide Black + MCS inside."

The whole system (headers, cats, and exhaust) took (5) 2'x50' rolls. 1 pack (100pcs) of stainless steel 11.8'' zip ties by SunplusTrade on amazon.

Auraraptor likes this.
  5. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I have some partially wrapped steel headers on a muscle car. Not many miles though but the wrap has survived ok. Properly coated stainless then wrapped shouldn't cause any corrosion issues. The main concern is the wrap breaking down and falling apart after time/years because of all the heat cycles.

6. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    So something interesting about DEI titanium wrap quality control….

I purchased 4 rolls from DEI official store on Amazon between October 2021 and January 2022. The quality of the wrap, the tape and tacs/nails used to hold roll together, and the center spool were all different. The packaging was the same. The quality of the rolls varied greatly; some would flake into the air, unweave, stretch, etc all differently.

Most interestingly, my friend gave me a roll he purchased from years ago and the quality was waaaay better. It didn’t flake or unweave at all. Pics attached: friend’s roll on right and one of the four on the left. Zoom in and look at the weaves and edges and you’ll see the quality difference.

I emailed DEI customer support and haven’t heard back in a couple days. Will update accordingly. As of now, I can’t recommend buying DEI until we get an answer on quality control. DEI is supposedly the highest end wrap readily available. Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  8. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I used the DEI wrap on my 430 and have had absolutely no flaking with it. I added Fabspeed blankets over the wrap and the temperature went WAY down compared to just the wrap. My biggest concern is the life of nearby plastic and rubber parts and the fluids. I also changed the muffler to the Ferrari sport exhaust. This also greatly reduced the engine compartment heat.

9. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I got the titanium Heatshield too, from S-Line.

I wish S-Line made headers and cats too because their customer service and quality of products is phenomenal.