Maranellos are disappearing | Page 103 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
  2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Very nice looking car. Odd that the colour has been scratched out, as you say. It's a Bonham's sale so I would guess a high reserve..which it won't reach.

That's nothing against Bonhams, I have bought and sold from them and respect them. But I guess you'd consign your interesting provenance, interesting colour (if maybe not original colour!) 550 to them if you thought it might achieve a special price.

3. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    The listing says no reserve
    Awesome colour!

4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Green cars and green interiors were always difficult to sell, but now when these cars are becoming old and more rare in these colors, it might be the other way around. Quite interesting.

Ffre92 likes this.
  5. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
  6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Very pretty and well specced. Engine rebuild too.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  7. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Beautiful!

Is the engine rebuild considered a plus or minus?

8. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  10. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA

Thank you.

11. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    I guess it depends on who did the work. Would be curious to know why it needed a rebuild as to my knowledge the tipo F133 has a sturdy bottom end.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    This is what the blurb says. I would be interested to hear from the pros on this board whether this is good or bad

Well cared-for, this Ferrari has benefited from regular maintenance documented by records dating back to 2006. Most notably, the engine was removed from the vehicle in 2018 for a full rebuild soon after the current owner purchased the car. The project included a complete disassembly, replacement of the main and rod bearings, balance of moving parts, and all ancillaries checked, repaired, or replaced as needed at Ferrari Motor Service in Fountain Hills, Arizona. The sum cost for parts and labor totaled a substantial $25,402.

13. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    With regard to the discussion of custom center console glove boxes and the late production version that Taz showed, my son and I are working up a design for one that will be a carbon fiber saddle over the center tunnel (thus removeable), have two cup holders, likely a phone holder, and perhaps some internal storage. We are doing this mostly to gain a bit more experience with CF fabrication. Any design ideas would be welcome.

Bas and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  14. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    None specifically from me, but my suggestion would be to design in CAD then 3d print. You can then add a layer of carbon or trim in whatever leather you want. Be quicker, cleaner and easier than laying everything up wet. Not to mention much easier to modify the design after. And of course share with others on this forum. :D

15. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It would take a fairly large bed printer to do this in CF Nylon. More to the point is we need to do something in wet layup, vacuuming bagging etc just for the practice. We'll naturally let everybody see and weigh in. Likely will take a while.

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    nice little project to follow. However regarding drink holders, I would think they'd get in the way of your elbow when shifting (doesn't apply to flappy paddle cars, of course!)?

For the phone holder I'd take the dimensions of the current largest phone (iphone 13 Max or something) and add some margin to it, and then underneath it have a wireless phone charger pad thing. 2 birds, 1 stone!

Amazon.com: Wireless Car Charger DIY Qi Charging Pad Fast 15W 10W 7.5W Quick Charge Adapter for iPhone 12 Mini 11 Pro Max 8 Plus X XR Xs Compatible Moto LG G8 G7 G6 Samsung Note Galaxy S8 S9 S10 S20 Android Phone : Cell Phones & Accessories

17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Just print it in a couple of pieces then superglue them together. That alone would be strong, but with a layer of carbon over it, it'll be like a rock. Then lay your wet carbon on top. :)

Anyway, I'll stop butting in; many ways to skin this cat.:)

18. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My car is one of those much maligned flappy paddle beasts. Call it cognitive dissonance, but I kinda like the thing. But yeah, no elbow interference. Does anybody actually use the ashtray and lighter in these cars? I'd hate to obscure that with the phone holder but wonder if anybody cares.....

Bas likes this.
  19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I really doubt anyone actually uses the ashtray/lighter. It could quite easily make a nice phone holder if you make a slight redesign with carbon. And easily reversible, too!

20. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
  21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Nice 550. Well reputed dealer. I do wonder who they stole their history blurb from. It's well written, thorough, and was evidently written quote close to the time of launch, but not so close it could have come from the launch PR material. Written by a journalist paid by Ferrari, maybe for a book, in the late 90s. Anyway I digress.

22. skyuro

skyuro Rookie

Jan 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alec Koo
  23. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    It comes from the Ferrari website here: Ferrari 550 Maranello (1996) - Ferrari.com

brogenville likes this.
  24. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #2574 root, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    The 2001 550 Blue Pozzi with 29k miles VIN ZFFZS49A210124990 sold on RM Sotheby's for $252k. Bodes well for the low mileage Verde Zeltweg being auctioned on Marqued. May need to bump up my initial estimate.

25. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    VIN is listed as Verde Inglese in Beehl book so its likely original.