355 Major + valve guides | FerrariChat

355 Major + valve guides

Discussion in '348/355' started by JSBMD, Jan 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi everyone, I finally am able to share my 355 saga that happened last year. Background: I have had my 355F1 for 14 years now, bought it with 13k miles, now at 67k miles. So lots of years and miles with the car. My usual tech closed his shop a couple yrs ago, and I was dreading the next major (due in '21) as I would be having it done with a new shop.

Before the major, though, I needed to smog the car. I figured I would use this little job to find the shop for the bigger job. So I called up a shop that had done diagnostic work for me in the past, when the F1 system had a glitch. Ferrari Service Costal Mesa (Michael) had shown good insight and diagnosis and repair of the failed accumulator bulb on the car years ago, so I figured to start there for my work.

Well, the car failed smog. It blew sky-high HC's. Leakdown test showed leaking exhaust valves on 2 cylinders. So the car was due for a major service anyway, at least. I took the gamble, based on past performance, and authorized the major + valve guide replacement.

After a bit of a delay (but I told him I wasn't in a hurry, so I can't complain) the work was started. The estimate for the job was $18k, which I thought wasn't bad. The agreed terms were that I would pay 1/3 to start the work, 1/3 when the heads were sent off for refurbishment, and 1/3 upon completion of the work (plus the inevitable extras found during the service). So the motor was pulled and disassembled, and thus I paid 2 separate payments of $6000.

However, the machine shop was taking an inordinate amount of time to replace the valve guides. A 2 week job was stretching into 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 weeks. Then I got the bombshell: Michael hadn't paid the shop, he had disappeared with my money. WTH?????

Now, Michael and Ferrari Service Costa Mesa was sharing garage space with Steve Arena at Arena Motors. So my car was sitting in pieces at Steve's shop, the heads were sitting in a machine shop nearby.Thankfully, Steve agreed to finish the work on the car at a nominal cost. But the machine shop needed to be paid, and belts, etc needed to be bought, so when all was said and done, the job cost an additional $6000 over the original estimate.

As for the car itself, I was shocked when I drove it for the first time! The loss of compression in 2 of 8 cylinders was gradual, so I didn't really notice the missing power until it was restored. And yes, as I commented in another thread, my car had steel guides. What that means, who knows? Maybe my car was an anomaly.

Steve did an excellent job, and is a bit of a perfectionist, so I have no complaints about the end result of the work done. I'm not happy having to pay an additional $6000 for the work done, but then again I think Steve isn't happy having to do the work for what he got paid, either. But he is a man of honor, and I think Steve felt the bad move by Michael reflected poorly on his shop, as they were sharing space. So he wanted to finish the work for the sake of his shop's reputation. The job took some time, as Michael had abandoned about 12 other cars and owners, from whom he had also taken money but not done work or bought parts for the cars. So Steve spent a large part of 2021 cleaning up Michael's messes-- big thank you to Steve Arena!

ShineKen, Qavion and lanab like this.
  2. 16v2911TT

16v2911TT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2013
    LA
    Glad you got it worked out! I took my F355 to Michael in 2018 for service when his shop was off of Newport Blvd. and he seemed like a stand up guy. It's so weird that he disappeared like that. Did this all happen within the last year?

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is very interesting as you have a '98. You are saying that you had steel guides in originally? This just goes to show you that it matters how they were installed and not the material. I am glad you got your car back but I am sad to hear about the ordeal you had to go through to get it.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Sharing a space is illegal in California. The Bureau of Automotive Repair will not issue licenses to two repair businesses operating at the same address. It is the equivalent of being an unlicensed contractor. No license, no insurance.

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I didn’t catch where he said his car is a 98. Didn’t early 98’s not yet have steel guides or was that 97?

I’ve never heard of Ferrari Service of Costa Mesa. Glad I didn’t. My first impression is was an authorized Ferrari Service right behind EuroCar, where my Scud was serviced most of it’s life prior to my ownership. I guess this is a different place.

Can you give us more details of the valve issues? OE steel guides don’t have a “flange” and some have argued that can lead to movement from desired placement overtime.

I have steel guides in my rosso 355 put in by previous owner. Car drives strong, but I’m not completely sold on the OE steel guides in the long run because of lack of flange.

What did you put in this time? Did you see the old guides in person and verified they are indeed steel?

6. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    It's an F1 so a late 97 build like mine was built after the switch to steel guides. Ferrari claimed they switched anyway.

7. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I had a 99 Fiorano edition that still had the bronze valve guides.

8. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I met that michael guy once and didn't get a good vibe.

ps: how could a 98-99 have the old valve guides weren't those all updated? now you got me wondering

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    could it be why Steve arena stepped up to fix this car because his name in on the building and on the license? Maybe the guy working as FSCM is not licensed? But that guy has been around a long time.

10. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not all of them were switched. The shop that did my motor had done two 99's prior to mine.

11. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
  12. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Image Unavailable, Please Login And he was licensed. He let his license expire 12/31/21 so all the dates do line up as to his posts when he was retiring. No great mystery and glad it all worked out.

13. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    I am in no way taking sides as I have no clue who this Michael or Steve guys are.

Question though: if you paid an EXTRA $6,000 as stated above, how is Steve the one that is out all of this money ?

Sorry if this comes across as inflammatory, it’s not, but I am sincerely trying to follow the story.

14. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    It almost appears as Steve knew Michael was leaving, willing took on all Michael’s uncompleted jobs, charged the customer the difference, and used Michael as a scape goat.

As you stated above, since you paid an extra $6k the only people short changed on the deal are you and all 12 clients with unfinished work. I am betting they had to pay additional to finish their cars too.

15. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Is it possible that Steve was in the process of taking over Michaels business and he just walked away at the end of his license period???

It sucks having to put out another 6k on top but at lease the car came out good will you be going back to him for services

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Agreed. Without all the specific numbers from the OP, it looks like:
    1) Customer paid $24k all in for an engine out service and valve guides. I have seen worse.
    2) The machine shop got their $6k
    3) Steve got either $6k or $12k to put the heads back on ( well plus all the laborious work of degreeing the cams, etc., etc….).

That’s still not a bad pay day for Steve, and I wouldn’t call him the hero in all of this.

17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  18. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    I just read your post above. The small text.
    Michael had a stroke. Oh man and the bashing had already started.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    No horse in this race but you might notice that the Facebook post about having a stroke is from Jan, 2021, a year ago, so the guy had a stroke some time in 2020 apparently. How relevant to the OP's problem?

20. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Wow how things unfold and Steve did good but he did have to take on a car in pieces which is no fun (been there) and did the job the right way so he should be payed right and now you have a guy close who knows what work went into the car and is a perfectionist which is always good but costly

Drive it and enjoy —- because here in New York City winter is in full swing and it’s going to be a few months before I’m even thinking of taking the cover off the car and blow the cobweb’s out

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I looked in his profile where he said he has a '98. He did say in the original post that he had steel guides.

As for me it is my understanding that it isn't the material that causes the issue of the valve guides but that they were installed incorrectly at the factory which caused premature wear. If that is the case I would prefer the bronze guides but installed correctly.

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

In the same token, he did get 67k mi out of it. I suspect the guides were put in as correctly as humanly possible, but still eventually “walked.”

We need more info from the OP

PaulK likes this.
  23. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Glad this story has a happy ending and the car is back and well.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the worn steel guides?

24. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    To answer the questions about steel vs bronze guides, and what did I have them use for the replacement guides:

100% certain that steel guides were in the car. Silver in color, and held a magnet, so no doubt about it. I didn't know enough about valve guide "walk" to inquire about that (or to ask for wear measurements, as I stated in another related thread).

As for the replacement guides used, the options were factory (steel) and aftermarket (bronze). The mechanic says he has had good results with the bronze, and at 1/4 the cost, I went with bronze. Time will tell if this was wise or stupid.

I wish I had more pics of the disassembled heads and the old guides. I was fighting a battle to get the answers to the obvious questions at the time, and documenting the repair wasn't as high a priority as it should have been.

25. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    So it’s the late 98’ + 99 that came w the updated guides from what I understand- early 98’ built in 97’ still had the steel ones..correct?