How offensive are special edition clone body kits? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

How offensive are special edition clone body kits?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Dec 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How offensive are special edition clone kits?

1. They are sold to poseurs to create a false impression

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. There's nothing wrong as long as owners don't pretend otherwise

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Maybe some cloners are up front, but most I've seen were frauds

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. They are homages to the actual special edition

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. If someone likes the special edition so much, then they should pony up

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  6. Clone kits bastardize an original car that has its own merits

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  7. An owner should be able to do whatever they want

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  8. Clones get "look-alikes" on the road, that would otherwise not be seen

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Other (post to clarify) ...

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    If you love everybody, there is no wrong crowd.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don't see how not hanging out with folks that aren't afraid to drive their extremely high-priced exotics is exclusionary. The person who doesn't enjoy their company is the one missing out on "loving everybody."

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    1) To build an even halfway respectable "clone" of a Pista, you're still spending serious money

2) People that buy Pistas often don't care about crashing them. To the very wealthy, experiences often are worth far more than possessions.

3) Part of the Pista's magic is not just the looks but the driving experience itself.

"Build a clone of an SF90, so if I crash it, I won't feel bad" is pretty silly.

It sounds to me like you're trying to convince us it's okay to be a poseur. You need to convince only one person here, and it's none of us.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

brookliner7 likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree if you live in a 3rd world country, are a kid, do it tongue in cheek, or say a real upgrade that entails actual performance swaps with the real deal. (i.e., convert NSX to NSX Type-R, etc.) Some vintage cars where modern technology actually can make the 'clone' even superior to the original, but we're not talking about Porsche Speedsters here or Cobras.

Do you have a specific Ferrari clone you are referring? Perhaps that could provide context.

5. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    You feel a certain way about this, and you're entitled to feel that way.

I just don't agree.

Everyone who owns a Ferrari is not "very wealthy."

I don't think that someone who builds a 427 Cobra kit car is a "poseur." This denigrates the hard work, investment, and craftsmanship that went into the project. It may make you feel good to denigrate people that you feel are beneath you, but I know them. Dudes with busted knuckles and grease under their nails. They are anything but fake.

If you think having the big wallet to throw at a car that is disposable to you makes you better than someone willing to roll up their sleeves and do the work to build something that they love, then brother that's on you.

brookliner7 likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #81 paulchua, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022

^ After these two posts ^, your reply is this:

@Golden Steed How old are you?

I think you may want to click this link

Attached Files:

7. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    #82 Golden Steed, Jan 20, 2022
    Asks the person who's childishly name calling and saying people are "poseurs" then following me around the forum dragging up my old posts.

I said what I have to say on the subject. My point has been thoroughly made. No need for the pissing contest here.

You stand by your words, I stand by mine. Lets just leave it there.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Not insecurities. At least not for all. Sometimes the delta between your normal car + body kit and the special edition one is 100% or 200% of what you paid total. I.e a 599gtb + gto kit is around 250k whereas a 599GTO is 650k. Same for a 360 Modena vs a genuine Stradale.

Personally, I love how the Stradale looks but a real one is F1 only and $250k to $300k. Buy a gated 360 and spend $50k for a clean kit and wheels.

Times and Golden Steed like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #84 paulchua, Jan 20, 2022
    I ask not to insult, but because I clearly said I don't denigrate ^ kids ^ that make kit cars. I mean if you're 12, and have your mindset on making a Fauxrari, I actually respect that a lot.
    Which is it? Do you stand by your words or not?

If you stand by your words, why would you be afraid of your old posts?

Who is the one instigating a 'pissing' contest, the person arguing one should be honest and real, or the person defending fakery?

What else would you call a grown adult that drives around a kit car of an Enzo below beside a poseur? Sincere? I would seriously be embarrassed driving, No; even being in the passenger seat of the car below *FULL STOP*
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    We do agree with one thing, we definitely have clear respective opinions. Good thing the kit car sellers have folks like you that love them. You're right, no skin off my back. Enjoy!

10. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Pragmatic and solution oriented.

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I love that you use your car the way you do, Bob. I'm sure I've mentioned this previously but when I was a kid in the 80's my Dad's buddy had a Daytona Spyder that he daily drove for years...at least a decade. No power steering, left the top down everywhere. At the time it was a $150k car, not a 2.5 million car, but on the other hand $150k meant something entirely different in 1981 than it does today! Anyway, it is in the spirit of you guys that I daily drive my humble Mondial and 912. someday if I can afford a 330gtc, I promise I'll daily that as well! Cheers!

paulchua likes this.
  12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would not personally be comfortable driving a replica car with Ferrari badge on it. A corvette based McBurnie Daytona Spyder with no Ferrari badges on it might be fun! I dunno.

The thing about rebodying a real Ferrari into a different real Ferrari is a tougher call. In theory I don't find much wrong with it, in the abstract. You have a 250 GTE. You want a 250 SWB. If you can find someone to do the job right I'm not going to spit on your car. Most people do it for what I consider to be the wrong reason, which is to do it so that others see a different car, not so that they themselves see the body style they want. That's the difference to me.

Then there are the "built from scratch" cars like the GTO Engineering 250 SWB Revival. Basically a 250 SWB built from parts GTO learned to fabricate over the years to support real 250 SWB's. Weird because it didn't come from Maranello, but on the other hand lots of old GTO's and SWB's that were raced have been rebuilt from the ground up several times. I dunno. I'd take one.

paulchua and Golden Steed like this.
  13. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    funny how you managed to appear as insecure as him. Shrugs.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Lol, if you say so. :)

15. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    You could’ve approached that so many different ways…
    I can’t imagine ever just wanting to show up to a guy’s house to show off my Ferrari so I can feel better than him.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  16. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I lived two streets away from him and drove by there everyday on my way to and from work.

It was simply just ball busting like normal guys do. No different than calling someone out on the basketball court and smoking them one on one. :) He actually stopped by after that to check out a 458 I had after and we both got a good laugh about it.

Some people aren’t so sensitive. ;)

I think you’re reading too much into it.

paulchua and brookliner7 like this.
  17. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    If you say so..

18. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    There seems to be a lot of that sentiment in this thread.

I asked this question to get a feel for the community's attitudes on the subject. Some of what I got back was pure poison. I mean, real anger. "How dare you" kind of emotions. It surprises me not one bit after reading all of it that dudes would go out of their way to try to humiliate someone who customized a car just so they themselves could feel superior.

The ugly side of car culture.

Times likes this.
  19. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Gotcha. Never met you, so I have no reason to think you're anything but a cool person. Maybe just the story telling made it come across the wrong way. Apologies.

paulchua likes this.
  20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Thank you but no apology necessary my friend.

I have to remember that the written word here lacks the subtleties that come with real conversation. I can see how without hearing any intonation or seeing my facial expressions my post could come off wrong.

Best wishes. :)

paulchua and brookliner7 like this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    There is a lot of moral confusion here.
    Say a person kidnaps someone and holds them against their will.

Kidnapper arrested and admitted to the crime during sentencing committed to jail.

The kidnapper then pleads hypocrisy saying society is 'kidnapping' them.

ROFL
    The humiliation, outrage, the attitude was directed toward a particular MO: A person lying about their car.

Some folks like you see nothing wrong with it. I admit; at the end of the day, it's trivial. I think it does more harm to the individual anyway.

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #97 paulchua, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    This story got me thinking. I agree it's not classy to upstage those less fortunate for the simple act of aspirational participation.

A lot of contexts is required.

The key is their attitude once they have their clone. In @HotShoe's story, it was clear the person was engaged in braggadocio (King ****). Think the classic "Fast n Furious" black F355. Made even worse if you consider the car is a clone.

Does anybody here take umbrage at the character of Vin Diesel/Paul Walker reactions? (besides, of course, the stupidity of racing on a public road.)

@HotShoe went one step further and didn't just drive away and just mock him, sounds like he was pretty nice and talked petrol afterward.

One time I was in my Ferrari and saw a Toyota Yaris with all the badges stripped off but with Ferrari badging, even had the side shields. I drove by and gave him a big thumbs up! Didn't yell at home or badger him. I sincerely enjoyed this person's 'interpretation.'

Going back to @Golden Steed's stance. Some folks like him not only see nothing wrong with it but actually encourage it.

I agree it's trivial end of the day - but no, not boys with measuring sticks comparing phalluses, with something fake, there's nothing there to measure.

Some folks may be fine bringing a soccer ball painted like a basketball to play hoops. It doesn't ruin my day, but it does leave me scratching my head. Especially if the person that brought the soccer ball claims it's a 'real' basketball. Let's just say, I personally would wait until I have a real ball.

23. elephantgrinds

BANNED

Oct 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Lil Pee Pee
    There was a nice 599 GTB that had a well done GTO conversion that was for sale at Chicago Motorcars (attached). I like it as long as it's not upbadged to a 599 GTO. Be proud of what you own. If I owned a relatively standard specced Rosso Corsa 488 GTB/spider I'd do the conversion depending on the price. I think it's cool they offer this for people who want these cars but don't want to actually buy them if they are double the price of non-special editions. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Small Pee Pee, Big Heart

Golden Steed likes this.
  24. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well I for one don’t mind a nice classic reproduction if it was gonna be a driver (ie Shelby or Mustang)

Myself I would not modify a modern car to mimic the look of its higher end sibling. And Inroll my eyes when I see someone doing it….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    A thoughtful, measured response. Thank you.

Owning an enthusiast car should be fun. I'm glad other people also see it that way.

elephantgrinds likes this.