275 GTB/4 Spyder (converted) or NART Spyder? | FerrariChat

275 GTB/4 Spyder (converted) or NART Spyder?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by psw, Jan 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Question for you all, has anyone heard of an arrival into Australia or in fact one already here of a 275 GTB/4 NART Spyder, it could in fact be a converted Coupe to Spyder. There is one here & is entered into the Sydney Harbour Concours D'Elegance in March, I have entered also & been accepted into the event with my Sebring & so has the 275.

I'm trying to ascertain if its a real NART or a conversion, I suspect conversion but maybe real NART, has anyone heard of this car or know something about it, any sleuths here please pm or post here what you know if happy to do so.

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Hehe I saw James Nichols thing as well and thought ..hmmmm

3. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I want to know as I'm in the same class & if they're classifying it as an original NART when in fact its a conversion, then that goes to originality & provenance, which should definitely attract some deductions in the concours.

au-yt likes this.
  4. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Depends on the Concour.

psw likes this.
  5. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
  6. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    If the car in Sydney is Miles Davis's original 275 then obviously it's a cut job. So NOT original. It might be magnificent. It might be fun to drive, but it's NOT original.
    Can you get the serial number of the entered 275?

psw likes this.
  7. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh but it's still better than the 250LM at the NSW Concourse or the V8 Daytona Spyder at the Vic Concourse.

psw likes this.
  8. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I figured it was a conversion as it seems it is the old Miles Davis car, from the link I provided it looks magnificent & certainly is a GTB/4.

9. MrGrigio

MrGrigio Formula 3

Dec 19, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Rennie Stein
    I'm happy to be corrected but even the original 10 275 GTS/4 NART Spyders are technically conversions, being Berlinetta's that had their roofs cut by Scaglietti.
    At the time, Scaglietti wasn't owned by Ferrari/Fiat (until Fiat took over in 1969 I think - and by that, I mean Fiat took over Scaglietti in the same year as the took over Ferrari ).

So the 275 NART Spyders were commissioned by Chinetti, hence the NART designation.

It begs the question, do they qualify as factory cars? Or are they factory sanctioned cars?

psw likes this.
  10. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for comments, as I understood it there was 6 commissioned by Chinetti & done by the factory, factory request perhaps by Scaglietti & then known as NART (Chinetti's racing team) as you mention, another 4 also commissioned by Chinetti may have been done elsewhere also known as NART, everything after that is a chop since & not really sanctioned or done by the factory.

MrGrigio likes this.
  11. MrGrigio

MrGrigio Formula 3

Dec 19, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Rennie Stein
    You may well be right Peter as history is an evolving thing based on new evidence but I always thought all 10 were done at Scaglietti at the request of Chinetti and noddingly approved by Enzo.

Looking forward to what Mike, Ian and Carl say - my real interest (and knowledge) in Ferrari starts with the Dino and Daytona and kinda ends with the Testarossa/328/F40 although I do like F355/550 and 458s quite a lot. Love the look of the new 296 too.

Your Sebring is magnificent btw. Surely it most be the most beautiful Sebring in the world, and if not, top 3 for sure.

psw, Its328 and FazzerPorscheman like this.
  12. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I think you might be better informed than me & thanks for your very kind praise of my Sebring :)

At least it appears I've confirmed what I wanted to find out.

13. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Is it the burgundy car?

Was in Brisbane Ferrari dealership.

Believe it was a more recent conversion.

If that’s the case, I’d put the roof back on it.

Silly signature here to annoy KIAI

14. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I think that is the one Jon, have you seen it up close, go & have a look & let me know how good it is please, I want to beat that car at the concours :p

That said from what I've seen of it in photos, I'm bloody envious of the owner, I'd have it in a heartbeat if I had that type of justifiable funds :D

It has the same number plate as the ex Miles Davis car that was converted in 2002 & apparently arrived here last year.

15. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not there any more Pete.

KIAI or Carl will confirm.

Silly signature here to annoy KIAI

16. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    There was one in Brisbane a few months ago on display at Oldtimer's. Beautiful looking thing and very well done, but not a NART

17. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is 275 GTB/4 #10669 which in December 2002 was sold by Ed Waterman in Florida via Terry Hoyle to Bob Suggett in England, where Terry Hoyle and Bob Smith of RS Panels CONVERTED it into a NART Spider, painted dark red. 2005 it went to Roald Goethe, a German oil man resident in England, Monaco and Dubai (UAE), owner of the legendary Gulf Rofgo collection. Later sold to Monaco and last for sale November 2019 by Duncan Hamilton & Co.
    Not a genuine NART Spider.

Marcel Massini

Maranello550 and greg246 like this.
  18. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That’s excellent thank you Marcel.
    I own a ‘67 Maserati Sebring AM101S10653 that I have some gaps in ownership history, do you by chance keep records for Maserati?
    Cheers
    Peter

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I do not, sorry.

Marcel Massini

20. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom