Diem/Turner Cannonball 308 (1983) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Diem/Turner Cannonball 308 (1983)

Discussion in '308/328' started by wildcat326, Jan 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    This thread is becoming very very interesting and fun.

Zeus, is there any book of your knowledge faithful to real events we can read or perhaps a documentary?

Thanks in any case for your nice posts!

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Hi Larry - you're point is well made but until it's no longer referred to as ''the Cannonball" in popular culture, you're going to kind of be the lone voice in the desert on this. Which is not to say that you're incorrect - on the contrary you're spot on. However, I am just pointing out the larger issue here.

Zeus likes this.
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Interesting side note, it was the black Countach used in the movie was singularly responsible for ending the real Brock Yates Cannonball race. That very car.

True story

4. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Another interesting point is that - throughout the documentary - John Temerian and co talk about the Countach being such a sensation when it landed on the big screen, with most viewers never having seen or HEARD anything like its screaming V12. If I’m not mistaken, I thought the Lambo sound in the opening montage was actually dubbed from a Daytona engine, no?

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I had a 1972 Daytona and a 1982 Countach and that sound is 100% countach.

308 milano likes this.
  6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I heard the sound was from a C/4

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Sigh. I'll say it again. It's from a Countach. I have owned several Ferrari V-12's, including a Daytona at the very same time I owned that Countach. I drove the cars consecutively many times. They do not sound the same.

Here's a story.

I was invited to show my Countach at a show for charity. It required my getting there early i the morning. I had the Countach in little garage by the Colorado foothills. I got the car out of the garage around 5a and started warming it up. I decided to take a route to the show that took my along the base of the foothills. As I made way off the surface streets and pulled onto the highway, the car was warm and I started to add the revs. At 5:20a with the sun coming up on an empty stretch of asphalt ribbon, snaking along up against the rising hills, I felt like I had my own opening scene of Cannonball Run. As I pushed the throttle and the revs climbed and I could heard the sounds reverberate off the surrounding hillsides, I remember clearly thinking that I was finally experiencing the exact sound and feel of the dreams of my youth. My 1982 Countach sounded almost exactly like the opening scene of the Cannonball.

I have heard all kinds of preposterous stories over the years: it's dubbed from an F1 car, it's another V12, it's a flat 12, it's not even a 12 cylinder, on and on.

From my own experience, it's the sound of a Countach.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    So no one really knows for sure

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

Came a cross quite a few YouTube videos in regards to the sound of a Lamborghini Countach,. This was the shortest clip. FWIW, if sherpa23 told me the seat reclined I would tend to believe him. :)
    Sounds the same as the one in the opening credits of the movie to me.

sherpa23 likes this.
  10. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    looks like the show at Arapahoe CC, i have my 308 there many times, what year was your Countach there?

sherpa23 likes this.
  11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I believe that was 2014 but I would have to check. I used to always have at least one of my cars there but haven't gone in two or three years. I think the last time I went was when they had all the race cars and they asked for my 348 Challenge car which won the Ferrari judging. Maybe this year I'll bring something again. Maybe my 308 Group 4 Rally car. I'll have to see how my schedule is.

12. tomd308

tomd308 Karting

Jun 10, 2006
    gainesville florida
    Full Name:
    thomas dukas

13. tomd308

tomd308 Karting

Jun 10, 2006
    gainesville florida
    Full Name:
    thomas dukas
    The White Dino was driven by Jack May and Rick Cline of Gainesville FL in the 1975 race. Rick drove Corvettes in IMSA and Trans-Am. Jack still has the Dino,I saw it at a car show in Gainesville in October. It still looks great today.

14. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    OK, Kids--this is a very cool thread with a bona fide Cannonballer checking in and some very cool history.

So are you ready for another twist?

There is another clandestine open-road event that is considered a 1,350 mile baby brother to the Cannonball. It's called the "Southern Classic" and it replicates the Bandit Run from the classic "Smokey and the Bandit" films. The route is from Atlanta to Texarkana and back. Times are legitimized with a punch clock and a receipt for a six-pack of Coors procured at a certain quickie-mart in Texarkana. Cars must be 1983 or earlier, with production runs that spanned '83 to be included.

It has been run annually for a few years now and has started to become established as a legitimate jewel in the Cannonball crown. This event takes place at the end of January, and in fact ran just last weekend. The event attracted a lot of the faithful, including one member of the current C2C record holding team.

This year, the winning time was 14 hours and 45 minutes. That's over 90mph average--and no oversized fuel cells were permitted. Pretty wild.

Any guesses about who won and in what car? The answer is pretty cool. How about a few guesses!

bspellerin likes this.
  15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    a 308 QV

16. AaronMeisner

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    Tommy for the win! A 1984 Ferrari 308 QV won it, beating out 24 other cars. Pretty sweet.

Next question: Who was driving this car?

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Meisner brothers

Aaron and Daniel

18. AaronMeisner

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
  19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Ha!

I didn't even notice your screen name!

Did you guys shoot thru Bham on I- 20?

20. AaronMeisner

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    Yes, we did. Across 20 to Shreveport and then up to TXK.

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You (sorta) passed my house. I can see I - 20 from my front yard as it passes thru the Eastwood area.

BTW, On Dec 29th, 1979, one of the original 308's used on Magnum for the pilot (and who knows how many episodes in the beginning) passed by going the other direction on that same stretch of interstate. It was being driven to L.A. on it's way to Hawaii.

AaronMeisner likes this.
  22. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Hello! Would anyone on here know now to find the Diem / Turner Ferrari today? It is one of my Bucket List, and I would be very interested in seeing if he would allow me the privilege to give it a second home.