Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by garybobileff, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Who were the FNA salespeople replacement judges? What were their qualifications? What classes did they judge? Had they ever previously judged under IAC/PFA rules? I almost feel sorry for them if the answer to the last question is 'no'. That is a hell of a steep learning curve - and you don't start your judging career at Cavallino.

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Looks great, but I have to wonder why they had some cars backed up to a grove of trees. Hard to see the rear ends.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Which cars did not show?

This drone pic of the upper field tells me it was a bit thin or am I wrong?
    Photo by Canossa.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

HotShoe, 375+, Texas Forever and 2 others like this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #504 Nembo1777, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    And one GTO there, two others parked way down the field with a Cal Spyder and 275's, in a row, like in a parking lot...across from Fiat era cars....it used to be oldest and most important closest to the hotel and the youngest near A1A, the local road, and they were artfully placed by one of the judges, was it Phil Tegmeier? I can't recall.

BlackBird007, HotShoe and 375+ like this.
  5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    #505 italiancars, Jan 22, 2022
    they actually did it twice. The 1st time was after Cavallino in 2010. I met with David (he always seemed to prefer David) and a few of the Historic Challenge Drivers with idea of continuing the Series as the “Gentleman’s Historic Challenge Series” with the thought of an expanded field to include period Bugatti, Aston, Jaguar etc. The event was at Pocono as part of Le Belle Macchine d’Italia with discussions of doing maybe 4 or 5 events the following year at Cavallino, Pocono, Watkins Glen and/or Lime Rock with the Empire State Region of the FCA and maybe at LeBelle Macchine- Daytona (the banking was a concern).

After Pocono in 2010 Ferrari decided to support the Historic Challenge at Cavallino again. At that point we dropped the idea of the Gentleman’s Historic Challenge Series. I believe they continued to do Historic Racing at Cavallino for a few years before ending it.

Attached Files:

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm shocked they allowed a drone over those cars.

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    … and let’s not forget that in these days, they have much bigger authority to answer to than mere buyers/owners of their cars.

8. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    Bob Tallgren used to place the field until he died.

Lanikai and Nembo1777 like this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Very fair question. The only one I’ve heard so far is Steve Fordham @SAFE4NOW. You won’t find a single person who won’t vouch for Steve as a knowledgeable, respected, and upstanding Ferrari person. He’s the service manager for Boardwalk, longtime FCA DFW President, and multiple Ferrari owner. Just give a quick browse of FerrariChat for his character.

What is the current cutoff for judging? Steve has taken several dozen cars through Classiche for customers and judged many Regional events. I wouldn’t have him judge vintage except as IAC/PFA understudy, but he could hold own 80’s, and a solid argument 90’s on there aren’t many in IAC/PFA that can compare.

10. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    Bob's title was chief steward. He would place all the cars without the use of computers. All hand drawn diagrams. Today the chief steward is Don Bartz. The field is layed out by a professional with all the latest computer software.

11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #511 Bryanp, Jan 22, 2022
    Exactly why I asked - I could see an FNA salesperson being the perfect judge for certain classes. On the other hand, if I had just spent 5-figures getting a 330GTC from 95 points to 98 points, I'd be pretty hacked if an unqualified/newbie judge showed up w/ the clipboard.

rob lay likes this.
  12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #512 SAFE4NOW, Jan 22, 2022

None that I am aware of, that was speculation…

Full transparency:
    I am the service director at Boardwalk Ferrari, I was not called in to replace anybody that I’m aware of, I was invited to judge several months ago.

Steve

13. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I don’t think that’s new, I have to go look at pictures I’ve taken from previous years but I seem to remember they’re always being cars in that general area

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #514 rob lay, Jan 22, 2022
    I just talked to Steve, he’s judging Class 10 (V12 Touring ) 550 Barchetta, 575M, 599 GTO… etc

what a perfect class for Steve! I guarantee he knows that class of cars better than all if even 95% of IAC/PFA.

Booker and BlackBird007 like this.
  15. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Not the first time, I can remember there being drowned footage from the last 2 to 3 years..

S

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you yes Bob Tallgren, a very gracious man. John Barnes told me several times that he would minutiously draw the placement of the cars each year....only to discover that the Breakers had yet again changed the layout of the field with new or moved plant islands...so he would tear his hair out and start again.

The latest computer software...yuck the cars in the lower field are parked like in a supermarket lot.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  17. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #517 SAFE4NOW, Jan 22, 2022
    That would be your teir…. Which appeared to have been all in place before we ( Judges ) came out onto the field.

Speaking for my class only I can tell you 124147 was a no show…. there were other open spots around the lower part of the field as well.

S

18. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #518 SAFE4NOW, Jan 22, 2022
    To be clear this is not my first National IAC/PFA Event

Thank you for your kind words, though I am always learning!

S

of2worlds, Nembo1777 and rob lay like this.
  19. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    I have always enjoyed going to the Cavallino Classics. But for the last few years the event gets smaller and smaller with less cars. I know its difficult to stop a slow downward spiral. I don't think going full corporate is the answer. With out the enthustiasts, these events will continue to get smaller until the guys writing the checks, stop writing the checks.

87testa, Terra, TTR and 2 others like this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    You are dead right but if corporate in the land of meritocracy -USA- can't understand it, what hope is there for corporate in the land of nepotism -bella Italia- to understand it at all?

Bryanp likes this.
  21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m going to guess, though I’m merely speculating, that many of the cars that showed in years past were because John himself spent a considerable amount of time doing personal outreach to owners and restorers. I’m not sure that’s happening now. Having said that, I’m curious to hear what the car count was today.

22. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    I am currently correcting a restoration that was done by a well know Ferrari dealer in the UK. If Ferrari and Cavallino Classics are depending on the dealers to properly restore cars for these types of events. All I can say is that they are going to have a rude awakening.

Marcel Massini likes this.
  23. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Public company. Tech wizards and finance guys running things. For them it's just numbers. Squeeze margin, find more verticals, please the (Wall) Street. If you bought RACE at $50 you love it. If you are an enthusiast, it's hard to watch.

TTR likes this.
  24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Exactly what I was referring to.

25. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    For a sample of one, I can confirm that John and Alicia together were big reasons I took my car to Cavallino, happy I did it then with knowledgeable IAC/PFA judges scoring the car at 100 points, and Best of Show Comp car.

Best regards,

Robert

Image Unavailable, Please Login