HELP! OC Ferrari damaged my car fenders | Page 2 | FerrariChat

HELP! OC Ferrari damaged my car fenders

Discussion in '348/355' started by 355Baron, Jan 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355Baron

355Baron Rookie

Dec 14, 2021
    LA
    Full Name:
    Allan Baronian
    They took in the car, called me back suggesting to put on those tires, what was I supposed to do?

2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    @355Baron you've been asked by a half-dozen people in this thread what size tires you told the shop to install, yet you haven't answered the question. I think your silence on this is telling.

3. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You posted this as I was typing- given these additional details 1) the wheels were on it when you bought it and 2) rubbing happened after you picked the car up then IMHO you have no recourse. The damage did not happen when in the dealers possession. The only culpability the dealer has is that they installed tires that could have rubbed- but the fact the wheels are not oem and neither are the tires that culpability is thin at best. There is no way a dealer or shop can be expected to know/look up every possible non-oem tire/wheel combo.

Pretty much once you go away from factory/oem you are on your own when dealing with Dealers- Especially if you don't have a close relationship.

If you are married to the wheels I would go back to the tires you had before that don't rub- get hold of a PDR/paint guy and you are back to good. Or sell the BBS wheels and get some Factory wheels/tires and no more worries- Turns out Ferrari was kinda good at designing and building cars :) That said, I'm being a hypocrite since I have Capristo exhaust :)

Sorry for the damage whatever the cause/scenario- but it's fixable.

Pics next time - :)

4. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles

Attached Files:

LI2782 and Shorn355 like this.
  5. 355Baron

355Baron Rookie

Dec 14, 2021
    LA
    Full Name:
    Allan Baronian
    There was no talk about size. I just said I need my tires replaced, they said ok we can put these on, and I said ok.

6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    We should know what dimensions the tires were before and what they are now.

Can you please post up the whole of the tire specs? They should start with P and look something like P250/65R15. The first picture (the one on the left) just shows the information immediately after.

7. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Allan- As I stated as well as Targatime and others- This is not on the Dealer and they did nothing to breach your trust. The fact they are being empathetic at all speaks highly of them.

If I were you I would see if you can work something out with the Dealer to perhaps give you some credit back for the cost of the new tires and install tires that fit and don't rub- but again the Dealer is not in the wrong here and IF they do something over and above then I would suggest following up on here with a very complimentary post and perhaps a complimentary note to the GM of the Dealer touting the Service Manager/Dept.

@ Moderators- Agree with Targatime- Perhaps change title of this thread to something less accusatory such as "355 Aftermarket Tire/Wheel Fitment" or something like that.

Best -

8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Classic:) Stealing that GIF

9. 355Baron

355Baron Rookie

Dec 14, 2021
    LA
    Full Name:
    Allan Baronian
    Yeah I already reached out to a mod about changing the title. But I do disagree on how this is even an ounce my fault. They should have atleast told me about the risks, or not done it if they thought there was even a 1% chance of something happening. Just a conversation atleast… but anyway, we’ll see what happens

10. 355Baron

355Baron Rookie

Dec 14, 2021
    LA
    Full Name:
    Allan Baronian
    These are 255 40 18
    can’t remember the old ones exactly

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hey man- I realize you are getting some grief on here and see that you are relatively new to FChat- Don't think we are a bunch of jerks- In general we (as I did) jump to the defense/sympathy of any Ferrari owner experiencing damage- especially if appearing not to be their fault and especially any scenario where a dealer or shop appears to be at fault. That said, the folks on here are equally defensive of shops of dealers who are unfairly accused. It is insanely difficult and challenging to run a shop or dealer these days and lets face it without them most of us are hosed.

I understand your feeling that you are expecting the dealer to advise you properly- Without knowing the size of the pre-appt and post-appt tires (been asked- not seen an answer) we don't know if you were misadvised or not.

Bottom line and speaking from experience ANY TIME you are dealing with non-OEM components- Especially things like wheels/tires/suspension/brakes etc. where fitment is so critical and everything needs to work in concert it is crucial to really dig in and research things and work closely with the shop/dealer- I have a friend who simply swapped 360 wheels for 430 wheels but had issues due to presence of aftermarket springs.

Try to work things out with the dealer to get you back to a non-rub setup and fix the damage and paint- Most of the cost will/should be on you but sounds like they may work with you a bit since they did sell and mount the tires.

Consider it a lesson learned and opportunity to build a good relationship with the Dealer from an initially unpleasant experience.

Cheers - Hang in there;)

Koenig1 and Tarek307 like this.
  12. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
  13. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Targatime, take a chill pill. Threads like this can use constructive criticism.

The OP said his previous tires were not rubbing and after the dealership put tires on, without consulting the client on size, this damage then occurred. OP, correct me if I’m wrong please.

If I’m following correctly, and dealership put a different tire than was on the car when dropped off then responsibility may in fact fall on the dealers lap

14. 355Baron

355Baron Rookie

Dec 14, 2021
    LA
    Full Name:
    Allan Baronian
    Yeah that’s what I’m confused about, why would they put on a different size tire then the one that was originally on, or atleast bring up the matter.

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    255 is too aggressive (wide) for the fronts. 245 is probably the max you can go, without knowing details of your wheel sizes and offsets.

I’ve bent front fenders on challenge wheels + spacers and 235 tires.

You need a professional with a professional rolling tool to roll your front fenders.

16. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    How do we know that the prior tire wasn't the same size?

17. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    I don't think we know any of this to be true. Might be helpful if the OP has old pics of the car that are high res. Maybe we can zoom in and see the size of the old tire. Why would the dealership suggest a different tire size? Wouldn't they normally just ask if he wants the same size tire, which is what I'm guessing happened here.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

+1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. 355Baron

355Baron Rookie

Dec 14, 2021
    LA
    Full Name:
    Allan Baronian
    I’ll get the information from them Monday, but I’m pretty sure they were 225’s up front, not sure about the side wall but they did look lower.. I will get the info and post.

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That car absolutely has wheel spacers on the front. It's the only way 225 tire will ever touch that lip.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Thats a big front tire, I like big tires but not 255 on the front
    I hope they still have your old tires to looky-see-see

22. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    no, Ferrari dealerships don't deal with BBS aftermarket wheels much on cars they are working on

That is from wheels hitting the fender, happened to me on one of my cars where i had too big of spacers on it, very simple fix...how could the dealer do this? you put the wrong tires. wheel combination on there and trying to blame the dealer???

did they install the new wheels and provide you with them? unless they did then its not their fault you put the wrong tires, wheels and possibly spacers on

23. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
  24. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah

can't trust the place?? you chose the wrong wheels and tires combination and you're blaming them saying you can't trust them? really?? this was your mistake, i made the same mistake on a 993 asked for spacers, tires to be installed on my OEM wheels, same thing happened, I NEVER ONCE THOUGHT to blame the shop that installed them, didn't even cross my mind...i took the car to a body shop and had it fixed and learned from MY mistake!

Take responsibility for your wrong choice of wheels, tires, or spacers combo and move on, don't try to blame the dealer or who ever YOU asked to install for you!!!

25. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think its a “**** happens” you implying they should know well you should have known also

They cant check everything

Tarek307 likes this.